Duck Hunting Forum banner

Elk and 30-06

3K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  malevolentfrog 
#1 ·
ok I have a question where if possible a few opions would be nice i an doing my first elk hunt and i am using a 30-06 i want to know what you oppions are on at what yardage is a 30-06 going to have troubles penatrating the hide of an elk

any help will be appreciated thanks
mrsjumpshooter

#3 ·
I agree with the comment above. As long as you shoot the right bullet then you should be just fine. I shoot a .270 with 180 grain bullet and have never had a problem. Just put that bullet in his bread basket and it will do the trick!

#5 ·
I've killed elk with the 06, it's all you'll ever need. Don't buy into the hype that you need some hot magnum to kill an elk. If you're comfortable shooting at 200-250 yards you'll be fine, although the .30-06 will kill them much farther than that. Do you have a bull or cow tag?

#7 ·
I agree, 30-06 for elk isnt a problem. At longer distances, 200+ shot placement does become a concern. The front shoulder blade of an elk is very thick...there is where you may have a problem compared to a bigger caliber. Just make sure of your shot placement and you'll be fine.

#8 ·
A factory 180 grain bullt at 300 yards has around 1913 ft lbs energy , which is plenty since most agree that 1500 ft lbs is
the minimum for Elk.

150 and 165 are for medium size big game animals, where the 180's are designed for the bigger animals like Elk unless you get into the custom bullets from Barnes, Nosler etc where the smaller bullets are designed for big animals. If you go with the factory
ammo, shot placement is the most critical , no matter what you choose. Some go for a neck shot but the wise hunter will choose either a heart or lung shot for a sure thing, that will bring down any elk.

#9 ·
You are using the same gun I will be using for my first bull hunt and will do fine. It's plenty of gun to take down an elk. We load our own bullets, so I'm not sure the exacts on what I'll be using. I'm still quite out of the loop in that regard. Hubby reloads and I watch the baby.

Where is your hunt? Bull or cow?

#10 ·
The utah bull I posted right next to your post was killed with a 30.06 with a 180 grain bullet, entered the ribs, broke the off shoulder for a complete pass through at just over 250 yards. The bullet will do plenty beyond that distance its the accuracy that gets sketchy- that bullet starts to drop fast...

#12 ·
You will have no problem with the 06. I like to shoot my elk in the scapula (top of front shoulder). The bullet breaks the scapula and the elk won't walk another foot. I promise! Not good to take that shot over 100 yds though. Over 100 yds., shoot the elk in the vitals.

#13 ·
I've shot the 30-06 for years and so have friends of mine out west. They told me that as long as you use a well-made bullet (ie.-Partition, TSX, A-Frame, etc.) and limit your shot to 300 yards in the heart/lung area, it's fine. These bullets are supplied in factory ammo. Hopefully I will be taking mine with me in October to New Mexico. Same story......shot placement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.