wen to introduce live birds to pup???

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

wen to introduce live birds to pup???

Postby realhunter101 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:18 am

im getting some live malllards to train my dog with and i was wondering wen do i introduce my dog to the duck and what if he doesnt try to catch the duck??? and how big do i need a pen for three ducks to be
realhunter101
hunter

Postby terryg » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:11 am

this is 9 weeks and it doesn't have to be a duck. :thumbsup:

terryg
hunter

Postby Thunder Force Kennels » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:31 pm

You can get some quail, pigeons, or chukkar and start letting them chase them at 7 weeks even. Make sure you clip the wings or use shackles. My opinion is the younger you start, the more drive you bring out.
Thunder Force Kennels
account suspended for biz name useage

Postby green head2 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:53 pm

As early as possiable But do not start him on ducks They will kick his rear He will then become bird shy And you will have a nice lap dog Get pigeons or quil tape the wings so they cant beat him with them And let him chase them all over Do not yell or say no to him while he is learning about birds Even if he kills it Which he probably will If he wont chase it on his own play fetch with the bird once he gets some feathers in his mouth He wont want to stop playing with it Good luck
green head2
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:23 pm

For first introductions on birds, I would use either quail or pigeons with the flight feathers pulled. Quail would probably be better, because they aren't as strong and you don't want the wings beating the dog in the face real hard. I think the dogs like that the bird can fly just a little bit so it's more of a challenge to catch. All the puppies I have seen introduced like to birds like this get really fired up.

Is this for that 12 week old puppy you just wrote about?
gsphunter
hunter

Postby realhunter101 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:58 am

yes its the 12 week old pup
realhunter101
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:28 am

I would hold off on the ducks then if I were you. Start with the smaller birds that others have mentioned. There's really no rush for you, because the chances of hunting him this year a slim since he is only 2 months right now.

The biggest problem alot of people have in training is trying to move too fast, myself included.
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum