Sony Cybershot......maximizing its capability?

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Sony Cybershot......maximizing its capability?

Postby yamaha783 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:24 am

Folks I've been using a lil Sony Cybershot, DSC-W55 or something like that, 7.2 MP for the last two years. This is one tough lil camera with many a morning in the blind and in the rain and even did great on the ski slopes in 5 degree weather.
It takes awesome still shots within maybe 10-20 yards but I'd like to get as much as I can out of it until I take the leap to DSLR with more zoom, etc.

Question is, any of you out there intimately familiar with this line of cameras and it's features? I know nothing about shutter speed, exposure, etc. I've had good luck with just using the auto mode and have published many many photos in state magazines.

For example, I was scouting recently and tried to shoot some groups of BW teal getting up around me but birds came out blurry. Any help??? Is there anything I can do, setting to change, to improve its performance with action shots? Thanks for any help guys, trying to put off the cost of a DSLR for now.
yamaha783
hunter

Re: Sony Cybershot......maximizing its capability?

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:58 pm

I am not familiar with the camera but the problem with the shots blurring is most likely your shutter speed. Most flying bird shots require a shutter speed of 1/250 of a second or faster depending on the speed of the wing beat. The second thing is your fstop. The smaller the fstop the more light that the sensor gets allowing for a faster shutter speed but this also shortens the depth of field (the depth of the area you are shooting 2d). Could you post the pics of the blue wings so we can get your exif data off them. This will tell us what you fstop, shutter speed and other setting were at when you took the pics. Also how was the lighting when you took them? Was it early in the day with low light, or over cast, or middle of the day with bright lighting?
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:41 am

Attached the blurry bluewings and a still shot. Camera does great for stills but would just like to see what else it can do with some tweaking.
Attachments
DSC02951.JPG
Blurry BW's
DSC03124.JPG
still shot
yamaha783
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Yamaha I can't get the exif data from the blue wing pic. Here is some information I found on the camera but I am not sure after reading a couple of reviews how much control you have with this camera.

Option Function
Auto record mode Point-and-shoot, some menu options locked up
Program mode Still point-and-shoot but with full menu access
Movie mode More on this later
Snow These are all scene modes; pick the situation and the camera uses the proper settings
Beach
Landscape
Twilight
Twilight portrait
Soft snap
High sensitivity mode Boosts the ISO as high as 1000 for blur-free photos; see below for more

The program mode has my interest. When you put it in this mode what kind of options does it give you?
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum