Is everyone moving to Wyoming?

Post your views on the Wyoming duck hunting forum.

Is everyone moving to Wyoming?

Postby champer196 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:40 am

Holy crap seems every other post is about someone moving to Wyoming! Hi I'm moving to WY and want to know where to hunt at. Holy crap batman go out and SCOUT ON YOUR OWN!!!!! All ya'll movers stay outa KS keep going in a north easterly direction. :lol3:
champer196
hunter

Re: Is everyone moving to Wyoming?

Postby harvey1b » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:11 am

Agreed. I hooked up one guy a couple years ago with what I knew about public spots around Laramie. I never heard back from the guy. Not doing that again.

If you don't know where to go get off your butt and figure it out like the rest of us did.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:05 am

my parents moved to central WY in 2008, this will be my dad's 2nd season. lucky for me, he does the scouting. when my wife and daughter and i come up to visit, i get to go hunting! what a free-loader :hi: things were starting to freeze up just before thanksgiving in the spots we hunted last year ....
bluewing77
hunter

Postby skifast33 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:31 pm

get over it its not like your hunting areas are over crowded i moved here about 5 years ago when i was stationed in cheyenne. I found my own hunting areas and did my own scouting i came to this website for a little advise from fellow hunters but if all are grumpy ungreatfull people i retract my last post asking for decoying advice, but if there are some decent people who dont mind sharing what a beatifull huge state you have i would be happy to here what you have to say.
skifast33
hunter

Postby jdub654 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:41 pm

Wow, I came here to read your board to get an idear about the migration going on so I can keep up on hunting here in Utah where I live, but dang you guys are all grumpy, you should come down to our public marshes, get set up at 5am only to have literally 3 other groups of people come hunt within 60 yards off your decoy's or worse, after work hunt on the dike where you can literally turn to piss and pee on another hunters food. I should send you guys pictures and you'll hope the WY doesn't turn out ever like Utah! :fingerhead:
J Dub 654
Mossberg 835 Ultra Mag PUMP Baby ( Bangin Birds since '96 )
E-mail: Dawgjay@hotmail.com
Be my friend @ Facebook.com - Jeremy Watkins
jdub654
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:25 pm

grumpy, ha! Actually I am a very happy guy. Cynical is more like it, but call it what you like fellas. I don't mind helping people out, but there has to be an exchange. I've been on here awhile and it gets old having people ask on their first post where the hot spots are. Put into the pot and contribute to the discussions for awhile and then maybe you'll get some info.

Good luck to you all and happy hunting. I had a hoot duck hunting out in WY for the 3 years I was in grad school in Laramie. Lots of fun and great memories out there. If you ever make it to the Buckhorn have a PBR for me. :beer:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby pmahler » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:07 pm

it is good to see that things arent any different on the WY chat than they are on they are on the Montana chat.

Anyway, as things turn out I have the pleasure of coming to Sheridan for work as of today & plan on making a few trips in the next few months that I can hopefully parlay into hunts as well. I know the drill & am not even going to ask but if someone wants to share some BASIC info on the area I would love to chat & if anybody wants to come up my way (livein Missoula but am ALL over the state in the Fall hunting & working) I would be more than happy to take 'em out or just provide a little direction.

Check my posts on the MT site if you want...been a duck a holic since my teens & love sharing stories or the blind with folks.

All the best & good luck to everybody this year. Is it slow down there too? Been talking to hte fellas I was hunting with in Saskatchewan 2 weeks ago & they are out suntanning it is so nice up there. I think it is going to be a while before the Northerners make it our way...let alone yours.

Best,
Peter
pmahler
hunter

Postby deaner » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:29 pm

Whats up pmahler? Im in gillette but would drive to sheridan to hunt with someone lol. I dont know anyone who really hunts over here. And yes the ducks are waaaaay slow! Its way too nice all over Canada. We do alot of hunting in Manitoba and its the same thing. Too warm. The geese are thick over here though. Gonna try and knock some down on Friday. I lived in Bozeman for like 3 years and miss the hell outta MT! Id love to shoot around up there again. Do you know what the non res process is?
Butt, Breast, Beak, BANG!
deaner
hunter

Postby What The Duck » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:19 pm

Still more antelope then people and you should be thankful for that! It is a little annoying when your first posts are where can I kill ducks, etc..etc...
What The Duck
hunter

Postby swanpig » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:33 pm

Yep. Can we share a blind?
Gettin er done, one duck at a time!
swanpig
hunter

Postby WYTRANSPLANT » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:44 am

Some are have moved out of WY, but I will be back for Christmas. :thumbsup: Plan on hitting the North Platte Pretty Hard.

Not commenting on the first post about being where to hunt, but on all posts about moving to WY.

We are still a hunter/gather society. However, Now we just hunt and gather money $$$$$...

You should be thankful to see a lot of posts saying just moved to WY. It means WY has not been hit as hard by the economy as other areas. Not saying it hasn't hit, but with being the Energy State (Coal, Oil, Methane, etc), it is still holding out with jobs.

I miss WY, and wish I could gather as much money there. And as a lot of others posted, count your blessing daily. Come hunt public land in WA with me, and you will be glad to get back fast.

Leave for public open to hunt walk in or even boat in areas at 0400, and are not the first ones in. Get in first, and have some idiot set up 60 yards from you, even though you signalled with the head lamp, and they knew you were there.

MAN the more I type the more I miss WY. :sad: Everything, Everywhere, All the time...
WYTRANSPLANT
hunter

Postby White Duck » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:59 pm

There holding job fairs here in Michigan for jobs in wyoming
White Duck
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:49 pm

colorado public land SUCKS we were stepping on other hunters in steamboat springs
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:48 am

Nope. I moved out of Wyo. Like 5 years ago. it was the best hunting I had ever seen in my life. I regret every second of my miserable life since I left Sweetwater County. :sad:
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby Leadhead » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Can you help a brother out ?? My son moved to Laramie last year and I plan to visit him there later in the year. Can you direct me to the best hunting and fishing areas around Laramie?? I will only be up there for about a week so i won't have a lot of time to waste. thanks in advance for your help. :help: :help: :help:
Leadhead
hunter

Postby Quackhead71 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:26 am

I'm new to this forum :hi: and YES i am moving to the Sheridan area. I arrive on the 4th of July! Dont need or want your spots. Dont put everyone in the same category it does not make you look like a very good person. I am looking for some friends for comraderie and to share my love of waterfowl hunting nothing more, nothing less. I know how to scout and am more than willing to do my own thing.

I would love it if someone could help me find some fishing spots :hi:

So, if ya wanna go get a beer or coke or something and shoot the breeze then hey I will be moving to Ranchester, Wyoming and working at the VA Medical Center in Sheridan.

My email is askblankenship@earthlink.net.

Let me know and I'll buy ya a cold one (pop or beer but pop for me)

Thanks!
Enjoy your freedom? THANK A VETERAN!!!

Buck Gardner Calls - Pro Staff
Mossy Oak- Pro Staff
Quackhead71
Newb

Postby deaner » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am

Well I moved back to minnesota after some time out in Gillette and Im def already missing it. Having birds all to yourself is something I really REALLY took for granted. If anyone needs any spots around Campbell county let me know. Im not using em anymore.
Butt, Breast, Beak, BANG!
deaner
hunter

Postby DRHunter » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:32 am

Canbakchaser Your public lands in Colorado are actually pretty darn good. I shot over a hundred birds last year in that state and only two hunts were on private land. For the people moving to Wyoming... I just moved here this October but just like every other state do your research and you will do fine.. You never really get much help from people that really hunt birds cause nobody wants to give up the spots they have.. I know its frustrating.. first hand.. I still am traveling to the states around Wyoming and will have to do all my homework during the off season. Good luck to everyone moving to the state.
Good Day and Good Huntin to You!
DRHunter
hunter

Postby tstrong » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi all - well going Elk Hunting next week in WY and will also be using the time to look at a some property. Hopefully have a few years where I am currently at and then make the move with the wife. How is the hunting in general on the west side of the state? A BIG time waterfowl hunter but love just getting out. Not looking for any areas as I also feel that scouting is half the fun. You will always meet many folks in the field most a good natured, have found the best hunting partners sitting on a dirt road that are still great friends.
tstrong
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:27 pm

tstrong wrote:Hi all - well going Elk Hunting next week in WY and will also be using the time to look at a some property. Hopefully have a few years where I am currently at and then make the move with the wife. How is the hunting in general on the west side of the state? A BIG time waterfowl hunter but love just getting out. Not looking for any areas as I also feel that scouting is half the fun. You will always meet many folks in the field most a good natured, have found the best hunting partners sitting on a dirt road that are still great friends.

When you say west WY where are you referring to?
I'm headed over to fill a couple antelope tags next week and will be over there for a few weeks. Once I kill my goats, it's all about ducks and geese. This time of year I'll probably be spending more time in Idaho for puddlers and geese.
Where abouts are you going to be elk hunting?
PM if you don't want to be specific on the open forum.
Good luck with the elk, there are a ton of'em over there. :beer:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:42 pm

Didn't you hear the news?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:46 pm

TomKat wrote:Didn't you hear the news?

:huh:
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby tstrong » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:55 pm

We start in Boulder and head up into the Wind River Range. Yes there are Elk all over. I live in Calif - waterfowl hunting for the most part is amazing, unfortunately most of the people are not. I live a pretty good distance from any descent hunting so driving for me is a no brainer. You get to like it actually. I figured once we get settled I can spend my days scouting. The West Side of WY - (Bridger National Forest) Pinedale - Cora - Boulder. Usually in and out so fast don't have much time to relax. So this time I'm taking a few extra days to look around. Words can not describe the views in Wyoming.
tstrong
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:51 pm

tstrong wrote:We start in Boulder and head up into the Wind River Range. Yes there are Elk all over. I live in Calif - waterfowl hunting for the most part is amazing, unfortunately most of the people are not. I live a pretty good distance from any descent hunting so driving for me is a no brainer. You get to like it actually. I figured once we get settled I can spend my days scouting. The West Side of WY - (Bridger National Forest) Pinedale - Cora - Boulder. Usually in and out so fast don't have much time to relax. So this time I'm taking a few extra days to look around. Words can not describe the views in Wyoming.

Pinedale, you should've picked up an antelope tag too. All the leftover doe tags are gone now but, it takes about 5 min. to get one around those parts.
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:37 am

They went quick this year - along with the deer tags - My buddy drew a Bull Tag so that's going to be the highlight of the week. I've been planning looking around all year - I'd like to buy now and spend some vacation time over the next few years. 6 more days :grooving: :grooving:
tstrong
hunter

Next

Return to Wyoming Duck Hunting