Alaska Waterfowl Numbers?

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:32 am

Well theirs strength in numbers so yea a lot of deks will work but there are those time that less is more, me personally i like to hunt small holes or ponds where I only have to set out a dozen or so, but i'd say the bigger the water hole to more deks you'd want to use. I don't know about here yet but back home it all depended on what the ducks wanted to hear, you'd have to watch how they acted when they were comin in to know if you had to turn it up or let off.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:54 am

Its simple.The reason why there seems to be less ducks during a wet season is because theres more water for the ducks to choose from.
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Northern Stalker » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:32 am

That is true.
However if you find a good spot the action can be good all day, regarless if its wet or dry at least hear in AK, last year we had more water than than the year before and we did just as good. Don't give up on decoy hunting...the see the birds cupping in, parachuting from way up, or whiffling in on a hard wind is to me what its all about. I personally don't really like jump shooting altough it has its place.
ONe thing noone has mentioned is motion in the decoys, this is highly important a jerk string can make a huge difference, often turning birds around for a second look when they would have ignored a lifeless spread.
Robo duck can also be helpful although I don't use one. Another tactic is to add divers to your spread, often times the white on the divers attracts the attention of the Mallards, last year it seems the mallards were always trying to land in scaup/ goldeneye/ can rig.
O yes the things that get us through the off season!

-Northern Stalker
Northern Stalker
hunter

Postby foggyhunt » Sun May 07, 2006 8:35 pm

I too live on the kenai peninsula and have been hunting the kenai flats but not as much as I should. Places I have hunted including lakes, i've found that calling can keep the ducks interest once they are in close for the kill shots but like one person mentioned, they are either coming in or cruising around. 90% of the time that I've shot ducks in AK, they were coming straight for the dekes and I think this is because of lack of pressure, so much water in ak that the birds are mostly used to landing just about anywhere and there are not guns blasting away at them which makes it good when we're in the right spot at the right time. Plus lots of young birds get hammered too. Ak is the biggest swamp land I've ever seen. Not much calling is needed in my opinion. But get a guy who knows how to work his call and I'd like to be hunting with him any day.

I'm just an average caller but on the few times I did hunt last year I do remember and from my first year that when the birds came from behind where it's hard to see and the next thing I know I hear their landing gear hit the water or the best of all...you hear a quack and does that ever get the dog's ears perked! :hammering:

I like to be patient sometimes, not calling too loud and as usual watch their wing beats and give 'em a chance to scope it out. sometimes just giving them a feed chuckle and using a jerk string is all it takes. Even from a longer range. These ducks hear every call for 5 months straight from AK to Mexico. It doesnt' take them long to figure out that their being pounded at again.

I was hunting with a guy who thought his calling was to be the savior of the day but in reality, they would spook more than commit once they were in close range. We could see these ducks heading straight for us. Is all it took for me to figure it out was to see the first few flocks come right in without much calling. I think we could have killed much more at a closer range. without all the calling. I think the toughest disadvantage of any type of hunter in AK is the duck hunter. So much water, it's one huge swamp where they could be anywhere.
"Blend in or go hungry"

"who needs a reason it's duck season"
foggyhunt
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:36 pm

akbrett wrote:I've got to find someone to go with one of these days so that I can figure out what my problem is. I must have seen 250 ducks and probably over 500 geese today not to mention the 100 or so swans. I had maybe 30 ducks check out my decoys and just keep on a truckin. Once I gave up on the decoys at about noon I finally got some shooting in.

I tried putting out 17 mallard decoys and 4 pintails. Then when nothing seemed interested I pulled all but 7 of the decoys out of the water and still they just weren't interested.

try using only hens!
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby akbrett » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:41 pm

I was. Since then I also tried about 100 different combinations. I think my problem is not so much the decoys as being in the exact spot that the ducks want to be. When there is this much water I think location trumps spread any day.
akbrett
hunter

Postby Northern Stalker » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:54 pm

The using only hen decoys is B.S.
You should be using drakes as well, birds are starting to get some color, I have already seen Buffleheads and Goldeneyes that are already black and white.
Visibility is key often times Mallards are almost more attracted to our diver spread than anything eles.

Put some drakes out there and see if it helps?
Northern Stalker
hunter

Postby akbrett » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:33 pm

I have tried all hens, all drakes, mixed, thrown in some pins, rigged up a jerk cord, blah blah blah. I am convinced it is not the decoys, it is real estate. That's one of those things that's just gonna take some time to figure out on my part. Now if someone wants to go with me and point out the error of my ways I would more than welcome the company.
akbrett
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:44 pm

do you see a lot of ducks flying by? Do they ever come in for a look or just keep flying? It sounds like they are flying by if theres ducks flying at all, I'd find a new spot, decoy hunting is so nice when it works.
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:02 am

How are you setting up your spread? What kind of location? How are you concealing yourself?
OneLunG
hunter

Previous

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting