Resident Licenses

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Resident Licenses

Postby k9horseluvr » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:15 pm

I am taking a hunting trip to North Dakota so I was doing a little research on what qualifies you for resident permits....

The following states allow AD military to hunt with a resident license regardless of where they are stationed or claim residency. This pertains to small game and I did not go into depth as far as big game goes.

The list:
Connecticut
Illinois
Louisiana
New Jersey
Texas

Qualified as resident if you are on leave with papers:
North Dakota
Ohio

Happy Hunting!!

K9
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy"
-JFK
k9horseluvr
Forum Moderator

Re: Resident Licenses

Postby MIKE J. » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:15 pm

K9,

You can add Rhode Island to that list. They even waive the Hunter Safety course requirement for AD Military. Kinda scary if you ask me...
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby steelslinger » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:12 am

MIKE J. wrote:K9,

You can add Rhode Island to that list. They even waive the Hunter Safety course requirement for AD Military. Kinda scary if you ask me...

I guess it could be kinda scary but I would think that if we are talking Military, then most of these folks has had weapons safety drilled into their head enough not to forget it. I now live in NC and have since 2000, then you didn't need a safety course and I have never been to one in 30 years of hunting. As long as I have my previous years license I don't have to show a safety course card. Now I understand that the safety course is a good thing but also know that just because you have the course, it won't make you any safer with a gun. It is all about intent.
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Postby Paddles Down » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:02 pm

Amen, and well said!
Paddles Down
Paddles Down
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:40 pm

I hear you on the military and inherent Rifle and Pistol training and combat experience , But !!! we are talking about about Hunter safety verses Gun safety. There are alot of military that dont carry weapons on a day to basis and are not required to maintain a qualification on weapon X,Y or Z. I have seen a few AD up here in RI that didn't have any business to be in the woods and probably wouldn't be in the woods if it wasn't so easy for them to get a hunting license.

Last year:

Friend invites co-worker to go Deer Hunting with us.

Guy goes to walmart and gets license :thumbsup:

Meet at location for Hunt, Guy didn't know he had to wear Hunter orange :no: We had extra orange plus some boots since he was wearing sneakers for hunting in a swamp :rolleyes:

He loads shotgun with birdshot and ask what's the problem when we give him a few slugs. Lady at Wally World told him that # 6 rabbit load would work for deer :grooving:

My friend places him on stand and tells him where everyone is located, Stay put.. :biggrin:

Shots fired from his location, Sounding good, I get a call from my friend looking for a Doe tags because numb-nuts just waxed 2 does and swears it was a monster buck and they both had antlers... Must have fallen off somehow. :yes:

I guess on the lighter side of things he did give us the deer since he didn't want them :huh: , His military training on the range and in IRAQ was evident as he placed everything in the vitals :thumbsup: .

I realize that this guy is probably the exception but you have to wonder if a Hunter safety course might have helped him a little.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ginzu » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:35 pm

steelslinger wrote:
MIKE J. wrote:K9,

I guess it could be kinda scary but I would think that if we are talking Military, then most of these folks has had weapons safety drilled into their head enough not to forget it. I now live in NC and have since 2000, then you didn't need a safety course and I have never been to one in 30 years of hunting. As long as I have my previous years license I don't have to show a safety course card. Now I understand that the safety course is a good thing but also know that just because you have the course, it won't make you any safer with a gun. It is all about intent.

Steelslinger,
You would be surprised at how many AD Military members have no clue how to handle weapons, let alone any experience with weapons.
I am with MikeJ on this one...kinda scary.

Ginzu
Colonel, USMC
CH-53E pilot
Ginzu
hunter

Return to Military Forum