Shotgun Shooting Instruction

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Shotgun Shooting Instruction

Postby Jason Adams » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:39 am

Well early goose and youth waterfowl weekend made me decide enough is enough. I have become a terrible shot with a shotgun and I know its because of bad habits I have developed over the years. Well it seems like I am passing on my bad habits to my younger sons and we are shooting and missing way too much. I am planning on going back to shooting school and thinking of taking at least my oldest son with me to get him going down the right path as well. I don't really know of any local instructors so I am thinking of taking a little roadtrip to the Orvis shooting school in Millbrook, NY. Has anyone had any experience at one of Orvis' shooting schools and was it worth it? Thanks in advance.
Jason Adams

HR Wildrose Remington's Gunner JH - GUNNER
TTF Redleg Archer of Remington - ARCHER
Jason Adams
hunter

Re: Shotgun Shooting Instruction

Postby apexhunter » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:57 pm

I can't speak specifically about the Orvis schools but instruction from any qualified instructor is typically money well spent. Many don't realize they are grooving bad fundamentals until it is too late so proper instruction or even a tune up for more experienced shooters is always a good idea...Tiger Woods has a coach and he's the best golfer in the world.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby augerin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:04 am

I would suggest going to a local Gun Club and ask around for some help. Learn about shooting Skeet, Sporting Clays or even trap. I have never been to any club where there wasn't somebody willing (eager) to help. Seems like a lot of people have a common goal in mind when it comes to shooting sports and that they want you to learn, do well and have fun (come back too). If after shooting for a while and the need to get more advanced training is still there then ask around. There are always some clinics to go to Todd Bender , Lanny Basham (I think) ,or even the Orvis. Go to the NSSA~NSCA web site and look up clubs or instructors in your area. LOts of info. I love shooting clay targets and it get's rather intensive when hunting season is over....can't get enough shooting or hunting. Hope this helps. Tom
augerin
hunter

Postby Take'em Now » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:14 am

James

I am a NSCA Certified instructor, State of Illinois certified, youth / woman instructor, and also a wing shooting instructor. I would help but a little to far for me.

Check with your state conservation,
Illinois offers youth and woman clinics. The norm for these clinics is one hour of classroom (safety mostly), lunch, then we break the groups into 4 students per one instructor. 4 hours of instruction (State & NSCA instructors) with 28ga shout guns and ammo. We work on stands, mounting, eye dominoes, and four different target presentations. Most of the clinics are free!

The state also offers a wingshooting clinic. This is more for people that have shot before, and also for beginners (mostly men) these clinics run about $30.00 per shooter. You bring your own gun and ammo. (No lunch) and a quick 30-minute safety talk. We break the groups into 4 shooters per instructor. We set up a sporting clays course (normally 12- 15 presentation) then each group will shoot the course for about 4 hours.

For the price you cannot beat this. 4 hours with an instructor on a sporting clays course, for less then a round of sporting clays.

This a great program, for a state that looks down at gun owners. So check with your state to see if they offer any thing like Illinois does
Take'em Now
hunter

Return to Target Shooting