09/10 Traveling deek photos

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

09/10 Traveling deek photos

Postby crewchief252 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:49 am

Put all your traveling deek pictures here, let see em guy's!!!!!!!!!!
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Re: 09/10 Traveling deek photos

Postby jehler » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:45 am

Yee-haaaw! I was the first with the traveling decoy, I gotta say the little bird looks great and rides terrific in the water, was definately a good peice of mojo on our bluebird get a sunburn kinda hunt we had. I live in michigan near Traverse City which is in the lower peninsula but we took the little buffie and our big blind boat up to lake superior for the opener. we hunt several small bays and islands near the canadian border. we had crappy weather for hunting but still managed to get a good variety of birds, we shot ringers, bills, goldeneyes, a redhead, several mallards a very confused goose and a white wing scoter that we ended up loosing. I have several pictures from my camera that I will post up, the first two are the decoy's first day at camp, we had just finished a grouse hunt, flushed three, shot zero :oops: the next pic is later that day launching the blind, then the decoy and journal riding front row on the way to hunt the next morning. I am still waiting to get the hunt pictures from jgun and my little brother. when I get them I will post them up, the last picture is from our local opener, that is jehler jr's and my own limit of mallrds, we didn't get those birds over the decoy but I am hoping the dead birds will satisfy crew's blood lust until I get the pictures form my brother :hi:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby NJDelt » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:53 am

Nice pics! I would love to see the looks you get as you go down the road with that blind in tow. haha
NJDelt
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:25 pm

November 7th OPENING DAY NJ COASTAL SEASON
Hunters: pvn6616 & JoeyO

I moved to South Jersey long ago from the Shrewsbury/ Navesink River area because I was a very lucky young boy who had a dad who loved to waterfowl. He had a close friend who owned property on the Wading River down here in South Jersey where we were able to come and gun. Imagine flocks of up to 100-200 ducks circling your decoys. Blacks, Mallards, Pintails, Woodies, Teal, Ringed Neck ducks...needless to say it left an everlasting impression on me to chase the mighty black duck. I have shot plenty of broadbills and cans up north but with the declining populations and bag limits it wasn't any fun putting out those large spreads. When I was 18 I moved down here and got in the marine business (convenient) and began my career as a south jersey waterfowler. Living in Brigantine, just north of Atlantic City, gave me endless miles of wide open marshes to learn and explore.
When I was younger my Dad brought my buddies and I down to these very same marshes to hunt the Brant and I saw lots of other waterfowl then. I would ask Dad why we didn't come here to hunt Ducks and he said cause you can't get them out here. I never understood that, but then again, we had the luxury of private property with a very well built blind with a full kitchenette built in, so in his defense, why bother.
I tell all of this as a precursor to the reason why Mr Potts's little bufflehead is surrounded by huge cork blacks, mallards and pintail decoys. He does appear out of place but I love to hunt the puddlers, and its OPENING DAY! Besides, he showed up a week early yesterday and he wasn't even invited on this hunt. He stowed away in the decoy bag when I wasn't looking and I wasn't going to leave him sitting in the boat alone all morning.
JoeyO was at our designated meeting place at 4AM when I pulled up, in full camo, looking ready to go. We drove down to the marina and hopped into my 17ft Whaler and took off at an easy pace as it was low tide and it is not easy traversing the INterCoastal Waterway in the dark, where it goes from 20 foot deep to 2 foot deep in the blink off an eye. We made good time until we rounded the point and had to cruise into a shallow bay. The depthfinder read 1.8 ft and we got out and walked the boat a couple hundred yards in. No sooner had we jumped overboard and another boat rounds the point and flies right byy us. Someone else had the same idea and scouted the area too. I wasn't nieve enough to think I was the only smart one, but I thought I'd be the earliest. Oh well, I don't want to go into details about the thoughts that went thru my head at that point, but like I said earlier, it's a big marsh. Joey and I worked hard setting up and were settling down just a legal time. We hadn't even gotten our guns loaded when a single teal lands in the decoys. Two minutes later a pair of mallards drifts over the decoys and lands somewhere out in front of us without us again being loaded and ready! It was a clear and still morning and I could see opportunity fading fast. As it grew lighter other hunters guns were heard going off in the distance and Joey was getting edgy. Fifteen minutes went by with nothing when all of a sudden a single doing 90- left to right skirts the outer edge of the decoys. I raise the gun and drop it cleanly in the weeds beyond the decs, wade out, and with Joeys help marking it locate a hen teal. we watche d a group of 6 or 8 teal drop in close to the other hunters who were only 150 yds west of us. They must have been sleeping cause they didn't fire a shot. A few minutes later they spooked them and they came flying up towards Joey And I. He shot and missed, I shot once and missed and then spied one come in from behind us and go flying out in front of me, I drew on her and dropped her in the decoys. It was just prior to sunrise and I apologize for hitting two hens, but can you blame a guy for shooting buzzing teal? I didn't think so. They are fast. Heck, it took me 25 years of hunting before I downed my first teal! They are the buffleheads of the puddle duck family.
Action slowed after that for maybe an hour. We had a few birds circle and I called heartily, once bribing a pair of blackies to us when at the last moment one decides to split and commit to the othe r guys as the second is committing to us but they shot and ours flew off... that happened a couple of times as the birds really wantd to be where they were but I was calling them in and they would drop into there spread...location, location, location! The second time that happened a single drake mallard dropped into them and it sounded like 12 shots were fired. He swung over to us from behind us and i nailed him with one shot. Ishould have let him go for all the flak he made it thru...Joey had a couple of shots but twice I was in the decoys so he didn't get the best of opportunities, but we had an enjoyable morning nonetheless hunting with the litte buff!
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:51 am

Excellent pics, and even even better story, thats what waterfowling, and the traveler are all about. And dont fret putting him in puddle duck territory, he has had his diversity training. :lol: :thumbsup:
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pvn6616 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:25 pm

JoeyO and I again hunted over the Bufflehead decoy today but although it was day one of whats brewing up to be a nasty Noreaster the hunting was slow. We were hunting a pond in the salt marsh as the wind and tides were going to be extreme, so my plan to hunt the shoreline for Buffs and Brant was nixed in favor of the pond. We did see some flocks of Green winged teal flying thru the decoys and had a couple of pairs stool, I dropped one early but it landed at the edge of the marsh in the weeds and after searching came up empty. It was raining and everything was soaked so I didn't pull the camera out at all during hunting but here are some parting shots before he makes his way across the country to Kodiak, Alaska. (Where do I send the postal charges Chief?)
Saying "Goodbye" to his new friends - they're gonna miss him!!

On his way - Safe travels little buddy
pvn6616
hunter

Postby Beerswimmer » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:15 pm

I got it after it was already dark on Wed, so Thursday I got out of work early enough to get in about an hour of the evening hunt. I was in a hurry so I brought 6 goldeneyes and the star of the show.
Here's how it looked from my angle:

Here's some snow covered mountains for ya:

And the result of 45 minutes of hunting a slow evening after a rush to get out:

One real nice drake oldsquaw and a first year drake oldsquaw. The first bird that came by was a hen buffie that landed right next to the deke! I didn't want to shoot anywhere this thing, so I let her stay until she flew away. Saturday is a limit of drake harlequins hopefully!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!
Beerswimmer
hunter

Postby Beerswimmer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:27 pm

Unfortunately life and horrible weather got in the way :no: I wish I could have had it longer, it would have helped bag dozens of harli's if the weather had been better. But it must go on.

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buh-Bye!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!
Beerswimmer
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:01 am

Great pics!!!!!!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:04 pm

I'm next, I'm waitin' on the porch. Hopefully he'll get here in time for our Thanksgiving morning hunt. :thumbsup:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:15 pm

Recieved the deek this past holiday weekend. I posted the only decent picture and a story on the diver , Hope that's "OK" with you.
Here is the link to the story
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=110341
hopefully that link works.
Hopefully more to come.
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:02 pm

OK guys, here is a crummy cell phone picture, after the hunt. It is obviously staged on the lower pond here at my place.
I thought you might want to see what we did for bufflehead action on yesterdays hunt with Buford on the might lower Columbia River.
I'll try to get a story up on the diver page as soon as I can.
Buford should be on his way first thing tomorrow via USPS Priority. :thumbsup:
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:41 pm

Well the post for our last hunt with Buford is up on the diver forum:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111109
I sent him off on his way at 08:30 yesterday morning.
NEXT!!!!
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:43 pm

Well the deke came yesterday and with a kindly boss who cut me loose early was able to get some Shrewsbury salt on the "buffie". Had a half hour hunt after breaking up some soft ice. Here is a shot of my two boys putting out the "buffie" along with some inferior plastic friends. Set the buffies up on one side of the hole in deeper water and some black/mallards close to a sedge bank. No luck in hunting, a hundred or so geese stayed out on the river ice and 4 blacks fly by, but may have seen one of my sons or me, in ether case they decided to keep on moving. Plan on breaking in the New Year with the deke in the afternoon.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:08 pm

Looks like tough conditions, but I'll bet that majical decoy will work his charms for you in the morning! Go get em!
pvn6616
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:24 pm

Will have to be in the afternoon, I am hoping the warmer temps and a tide cycle will clear up some of the ice. Birds are around we shall break in the New Year in style.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:59 am

Went out this morning by myself as the boys wanted to sleep. Thought it might be a great hunt as I kicked up about 20 geese and mallards from the cove at 06:15. Set up my puddles and put the "buffie" along with 2 friend up near the point. The 'Buffie" is hard to see but she is in the upper part of the photo. Ended up that nothing was moving till 07:45 when ducks/gees were kicked up by a boater. Managed one goose from a flock that came swooping in over the point. Had to leave at 8am for kid activity driving duty but may get back this afternoon when the tide drops. Thanks chief, no holes in the "buffie".
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:51 pm

Afternoon hunt, after the wife rolled her eyeballs but said go, I hit the Shrews by 14:30. For nostalgia reasons took my Model 12 16 Guage for the hunt. Man it was cold and windy.
Set up on a lee of a point and got a few better pics. As for the hunt some Brant flew by, sat down and swam over to the "buffie". Wish I could have moved to take a photo but the Brant would have flared. I did not bother shooting as putting holes in "buffie" was not part of the deal. Played for 20 minutes with 2 blacks that went back and forth around etc until they like the real ducks over in a unhuntable cove. Called it day after that with 5 minutes of shooting time left, man my hands were cold.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:36 pm

Fitz, That little buff hasn't worked it's majic on to many hunts this year judging from the pics but that doesn't take away from the hunt. I want to thank you for bringing 40 yr old memories right back to me sitting on those points with my first gun - a 16 guage Winchester Model 12! Shot a few buffs and broadbills from the old sneakbox looking at that same view. Boy one day I tripled on boadbills off that very point and couldn't believe it - back then I wasn't a very good shot but that day was one of the few "great days" I had hunting the river. Funny that I don't have any pictures from Dad hunting the river. I'll have to go thru the old slides and see if I can't did them up> Thanks again for the memories and a Happy and Healthy New Year to YOU!!!!

Pete
pvn6616
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:51 pm

No problem, anytime you want to come up let me know. No need for a sneakbox. Broadies are around, but they headed to pleasure bay. Yes thier are better places, I think the Navisink is better, but when I only have 2 hours its a place to hunt and once in while I connect. been plenty of geese which is keeping the wine farmer happy as he is losing a lot of grapes to them. I will have to find a few goose dekes this off season to add to the spread. Take care.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:50 am

Great pics Fitz, but dont give up on Beuford yet. Keep the pics coming, and hopefully he will bring you some luck before he takes his final trip to Georgia
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:21 pm

Oh I have not given up, just not sure next time I will get out. Might be able to get out Saturday for a couple of hours, but with the cold it will be a lot of ICE chopping. Anyway since I am not sure, I mailed it out to Georgia from Hoboken today. Great deke and glad to have used it. Was funny watching how the Brant swam over and chekced it out.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting