set-up

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

set-up

Postby duckweed » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:19 pm

ok i need some help. i have 3 doz. ghg duck deks. i am hunting a small pond and out of a blind. the thing is that it is a handicap hunt and i want it to be successful for my father. i am 15 and i have been working hard to get more deeks and probably will but not by this weekend. i just want to know what the best kind of set-up would be the most successful. any help would be great.

Thanks,

William
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby 10 ga. » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:03 am

First off keep in mind that ducks dont like to fly over ove other ducks heads when landing so if you make a landing hole in your deeks keep in mind that down wind of it the area should be open. A decoy launcher or jerk string is almost a must on calm days to create wakes to make your decoys . Throwing Rocks even work . Good luck I hope you guys gettem.
10 ga.
DHC Sponsor

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:21 am

I don't know how big a small pond is but if it is ...oh I don't know 100ftx100ft I don't know if I would put out all 3 doz deks. Remember that the best hunts are going to come from places the ducks want to be. Scout it out heavy see when they are coming in and leaveing, watch for where they loft during the day, look at how many birds are using the pond and try to mimic everything. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:45 am

:withstupid: Sums it up nicely :thumbsup: .
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby duckhunter25 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:33 pm

:salude: Just an example of how things go. .......... Saturday morning we set up on a river about 1 hour west of my home. We had done our homework like always and scouted the birds in that area until they could near identify our truck. We set out 2 dozen floater geese and 2 1/2 doz duck decoys, perfect for the area we were gonna hunt that morning, so we thought. :thumbsdown: The ducks were there in groves but were reluctant to really sell the farm to the rig so it made for some awful early shooting. The geese worked well though as planned. After the geese started to slow down a bit we decided to change the spread to 9 duck decoys. We had our limit of geese and were sure as heck not going home with only 3 ducks. Well let me tell you lad, we not only set out 9 duck decoys we moved out front of the blind and sat on the small bank among the knee high grass, dog on the shore. With no word of lie we couldnt beat them out of that little rig, 1 15 minutes later we had shot our remaining 21 ducks.

Now if that dont prove that sometimes simple is better and if the birds are not workin well, ya better change somethin, then i dont know what does.

Birds get call and decoy shy as the season wears on so sometimes you are forced to go light. Thats my tip for ya , Thanks.
duckhunter25
hunter

Postby hoodedboy7 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:12 pm

well i was wondering if someone could help me out im going on a hunt this weekend saturday november 18 and its in a private slough my cousin found and were going to hunt it and i was wondering what too do for the decoy spread
hoodedboy7
hunter

limit

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:33 pm

I ma curious, what is the limit in canada?
sc_countryboy26
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting