Need help finding bow!

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Need help finding bow!

Postby woodiekiller » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:52 pm

Im getting a bow for Christmas and want to start looking... Im 14 and don't want to spend alot, i dont want to pay not more then $350 for bow itself... Accesories i will get but i need some advice and some helping picking a bow out, Give me your opinons!
woodiekiller
hunter

Re: Need help finding bow!

Postby okwaterfowler » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:58 am

I bought the Bear showdown for about that price this year, it's my first bow and I love it so far, don't have any problems with the accuracy or anything. The only problem I had was that my tech at bass pro forgot to tie my peep sight in and it came out, but bps replaced it for free. You can buy a package deal which will get you out shooting, I have replaced the quiver since then though. the other stuff seems to be pretty decent. I added a stabilizer from limbsaver and a set of string leaches and I am completely happy with it.
okwaterfowler
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:31 am

Check out a Brute by PSE. You can get them in a package for $399. Just go to a pro shop and shoot a few to see what you like. Parker makes a good bow as well.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby woodiekiller » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:20 am

Thanks guys, i have looked at the Showdown... But i like this alot http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... -0#reviews

What you think? :hammer:
woodiekiller
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:09 pm

It's a really good bow actually. Especially for beginners. As long as you don't have really long arms you'll be fine with it. It's VERY adjustable. 30-65lbs and 19-29" draw. Some people just don't like buying youth bows if they aren't youth. Heck I could shoot one if I wanted to. You just won't get the speed out of it as much as a bigger bow, but eh it's cheap and you don't know if you'll like bowhunting.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby woodiekiller » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:45 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:It's a really good bow actually. Especially for beginners. As long as you don't have really long arms you'll be fine with it. It's VERY adjustable. 30-65lbs and 19-29" draw. Some people just don't like buying youth bows if they aren't youth. Heck I could shoot one if I wanted to. You just won't get the speed out of it as much as a bigger bow, but eh it's cheap and you don't know if you'll like bowhunting.

Preacher i have a couple of questions... First will my draw length get longer? Im not sure but shouldn't that depend on if my arms get longer? If so can you adjust the draw length on the bow? I checked it and i have a 29 to 30 inch draw (im pretty confident)! I believe im going to go with the Bear archery showdown package!
woodiekiller
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:07 am

woodiekiller wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:It's a really good bow actually. Especially for beginners. As long as you don't have really long arms you'll be fine with it. It's VERY adjustable. 30-65lbs and 19-29" draw. Some people just don't like buying youth bows if they aren't youth. Heck I could shoot one if I wanted to. You just won't get the speed out of it as much as a bigger bow, but eh it's cheap and you don't know if you'll like bowhunting.

Preacher i have a couple of questions... First will my draw length get longer? Im not sure but shouldn't that depend on if my arms get longer? If so can you adjust the draw length on the bow? I checked it and i have a 29 to 30 inch draw (im pretty confident)! I believe im going to go with the Bear archery showdown package!

I'm not preacher, but I can tell you, if you have a 30" draw, that bow is NOT for you. that is a youth model with an adjustable draw from 19"-29". so, yes, it is adjustable, but it only adjusts DOWN from where you want it to be to start. How old are you? Are you a youth? Its your first bow so I am guessing yes. It is really hard to buy a bow from a catalog. I would really suggest you go to a reputable bow shop in your area, and get fitted, and buy a bow and have it tuned for your shooting style. I would also suggest staying out of places like BassPro or Cabelas if you can. Although I am sure somewhere in the country, someone has run in to the ONE knowledgable salesman in cabelas, the other 10000 employees they have don't know a broadhead from a blackhead.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby woodiekiller » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Im 14 yr old... Im not no little thing either, trust me! Where you saying the Bear Archery Showdown is a youth bow? I don't think it is, i believe that is the one im going to get!
woodiekiller
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:53 am

woodiekiller wrote: Where you saying the Bear Archery Showdown is a youth bow? I don't think it is, i believe that is the one im going to get!

the bow you posted in the link is a youth bow- Here is the write up on it... you didn't post the Bear Showdown
This package combines the amazingly flexible Razor Edge bow from Diamond with all the accessories a young hunter needs to head to the woods and begin hunting. Made to grow with a young hunter, this bow utilizes a dual cam, rotating mod system that provides an adjustable draw length range of 19'' - 29''!
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:19 am

The big thing is going to be draw weight from what I'm reading. You definitely shouldn't get a youth bow if you're just 14 and have around a 29" draw. I'd get full size bow with 60lb limbs and back it on down to 50lbs. And as for basspro, I'm with NH on this one. I'm an achery tech at Gander Mtn. and we get fudge ups from Bass Pro, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc all the time. We're lucky in that we (at least our store) have techs that know what we're talking about. I'm sure it's not the same at other stores. I don't know why a company would hire someone that didn't know jack squat. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I would also tell you to stay away from dual cam bows for your first one as well. They tend to have really steep draw curves which means you'll be pulling peak weight longer. I haven't shot the show down so I can't tell you my opinion on it. Please for the love of all you hold dear to you, shoot whatever bow you're looking into and compare it to other bows before you buy.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby assateague » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:22 am

Don't forget about ebay, unless you really want a new bow. You can get some good deals on Mathews hunting packages there. Good Luck!
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:00 pm

Ebay is a good option, but I wouldn't buy anything off ebay for a first one. He really needs to go where he can shoot one. Later down the road ebay is a great option.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Archery