Forman/Rutland Area

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Forman/Rutland Area

Postby BWB » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:54 am

Finally making another trip to ND this year after 7 years. I usually hunted around the Devils Lake area but this time I will be in the Forman/Rutland area. Was wondering how the bird movement was in the area and if any of the northern birds have moved in. We will mainly be targeting ducks but geese are always an option. I will be there on Wednesday Oct 21. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.
BWB
hunter

Re: Forman/Rutland Area

Postby nek9handler » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:17 pm

Great your going to be hitting my area the week before I get their...LOL

:biggrin:

Talked to the biologist in the area today and some skim ice but melting off the snows have yet to come thru and their are local canada's and good numbers of ducks still around....

No migrations as of yet

So one of us is going to be smak dab on the money....

You staying in Rutland or Forman?

Bill
BILL HAMILL
nek9handler
hunter

Postby BWB » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:27 pm

We are staying in Forman and hunting a couple of miles northeast of Rutland. We will be there from the 21 thru the 25. I will try and not shoot all the birds so there are some left for you. LOL Thanks for the info too
BWB
hunter

Postby BWB » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:24 pm

I was also wondering what would be a better tactic. Should we concentrate on hunting fields or potholes? Also the number of decoys to use. Where I hunt in wisconsin there is so much hunting pressure the key is to do something different then the majority of other hunters. Not sure if that really applies to where we will be hunting in ND or not. Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thanks for the help
BWB
hunter

Postby nek9handler » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:10 am

Concentrate on the fields......Unless you find a transition slough inbetween roost and feeding area we found one of those last year and ohhhh my goodness they geese and ducks came in low and on a string.........Shooting canada's at 10 yards and under and ducks were banking back up and backpeddling at 5 feet.....Awesome

You should be timing it great fields will be getting cut and the wate their is good this year and their should be standing water in the fields.....This will make it easier also throw some floaters out in the water and the rest of your spread loafing and feeding around the area...

The big key is scouting the field and seeing what the birds are doing and were they are exactly landing and eating......

I like to watch them until dark the field i am going to hunt the next day and stick a couple snow geese out their after all the birds left to roost so I can find the exact spot in the morning.....

We are bringing 30-40 Full body cans/12 can silosocks-12 full body snows/8 doz mallard full bodies and some floaters

Then we have two vortex's and 2 mojos

You can easily field hunt with 1-2 doz cans and 3-4 dozen full body of good silosock mallard decoys and 2 mojos and shoot limits each morn

Keep me updated
BILL HAMILL
nek9handler
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting