green horn problem.

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

green horn problem.

Postby brdprey » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:44 am

:oops: some of you know i am a green amature to this taxidermy thing i use to do it 16 years ago but so much has changed in that time.
i have gone to different sights to get info and been doing my home work as far as reading but i would like to know from any of you who actually have done the deed. when it comes to eyes.
yea i know there are some preset eyes, and some with eye rings.
but how do you rebuild the eye lid and set the eye
i have been practicing on a skull but i just .....i just doesnt seem right
if i can ill get a pic of the head with the eye mounted.
any tips or info that will be usefull.
i have been using clay but i think i am using the wrong clay because it cracks.
oh one more thing........i thought i would practice on some coots. there are some fat runners on the inside i have scrapped and scrapped and added borax and scrapped and washed and scraped. till i cant get any more fat out. (even after trimming) but it seems the fat is never ending. or should i say the oil.
thanks in advance.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby Delta Hunter » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:20 pm

I'm sure Pete-Pec will have some words of wisdom for you, but here is my two cents worth. First if you have not visited www.taxidermy.net do so. The forums are a very good source of information. Now to your questions. First I would use a non drying modeling clay. You can get it at Wal-Mart. The eyes should be set with a foward angle, and slightly downward. After the duck is mounted the eye rings or lids can be made with many different epoxie compounds. I use a product called Magic-Sculpt from Wasco supply company. You take a small amount, mix it together, wait about 15 to 20 minutes, roll it into a thin thread like roll, make a circle the size you want, and place it on the eye. It can be smoothed with a wet artist brush. The Breakthrough Bird Taxidermy Manual is an excellent reference manual with a lot of very useful information. It would be money well invested. Hope this helps.
Delta Hunter
hunter

Postby firebird » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:15 pm

The fat will largely come off in lukewarm water and dawn dishsoap. Repeated washings until no more grease shows up in your water. This is possibly the most important basic step you should master. Diving ducks have strong skins and are good practice. If you don't have a wire wheel, a wire brush and spoon will suffice. Go back several times if you need to but get all the fat off. Eye rings as previousely stated using magic sculpt or Apoxie sculp or a couple other very similar products. Wasco offers them pre-colored or you can roll in some paint as you mix them to get the correct color, that way you wont get paint on the feathers later. As for the downward angle... Newmeyer published it years ago. I raise birds and have never noticed it, some judges at shows like it, others do not. Get some pictures and go with what you believe is correct. Get on taxidermy.net and find your state organization and become an active part of it. Participate in the competitions and go to the seminars. Good Luck!
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum