Pressure from family

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Pressure from family

Postby Nomeite » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Well I'm really into duck/ geese hunting and I want to do hunt differently next year but my wife is not to keen on it, here is what I mean. I normally hunt driving down the Nome Council Highway at each pond where the ducks are at and then sneaking up on them; I'm not that young any more, hunting this way is not very productive but this is how her dad used to hunt when she was a kid. Sometimes I come home with a duck or two but very rarely. I'm not getting any younger, so last month I bought a layout duck blind and earlier this week I just ordered a couple of calls from Echo and I'm planning on ordering some mallard decoys next week. This winter I will make a plywood small 8ft boat to paddle around with... so by next fall ducks beware!!!

My problem is my wife and her family has been teesing the heck about all of this stuff I been buying and not hunting the way her dad use to. They say I don't need this stuff. I was just woundering if any of you all had this type of problem before? I sure could use some helpful feedback.
Just because it is old dosen't make it a classic
Nomeite
hunter

Re: Pressure from family

Postby harryhyde » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:36 pm

I get heck for hunting at all, so count yourself lucky :rolleyes:

Try asking her, in as calm a voice as possible, if she appreciates being compared to your mother.
harryhyde
hunter

Postby Nomeite » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:53 pm

That's not bad, I will try that. Thanks

I do count myself lucky, that I can hunt at all. The rest is just gravy. :wink:
Nomeite
hunter

Postby harryhyde » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:30 pm

Not to hijack your thread, but how is the waterfowl hunting around Nome?

It must be getting pretty cold at nights up there by now.
harryhyde
hunter

Postby Nomeite » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:21 pm

Very few duck in the lagoons and ponds a lot of sea ducks in the Bering Straits and a heck of a lot of geese. I sure wish I was ready to hunt them geese, there is a ton of them. The weather is great pretty warm in the high 30's warming up to the 40's.
Nomeite
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:58 am

First, you need a place to hide your hunting gear. Also have your purchases sent to work. Nothing gets the wife's attention faster then a pile of hunting gear in the garage or boxes at the door :no:

In all seriousness, I think the only way you're going to get her on board with your new hunting strategy is when you come home with a bunch of birds next year. :yes:

Your practicing a method called "jump shooting". It works great if you have the time to walk long distances down creeks or from pond to pond like you mentioned. The best set up for jump shooting is finding those "honey holes" where there are always ducks, but that's pretty hard when you have so much room for them to spread out. You shoot at a good size flock of birds up there and they have no reason to EVER go back to that spot.

What kind of habitat are you planning to hunt with your layout blind next year? The great thing about the layout blinds is once you have them camoed well, you only need to put out a couple decoys and stay low and the birds should just bomb in. If they don't have a clue you're there, they aren't that wary. :thumbsup:

Keep the questions coming, we'll get you all squared away :beer:

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby Nomeite » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:44 pm

Fantistic advice Erich!! I'm using your advice right now, I just ordered decoys from G&H 12 mallards; 6 deeks and 6 hens, being sent to my office :biggrin:

Yes, I plan on using my layout blind next fall. I just brushed off the eccess mud from my blind last night and I just ordered plans for building a Hybrid layout boat, can't afford to buy one..... yet. I'm so stoked. I know that I have to wait until next fall but I WILL BE READY.

I will be hunting in open water ponds and lagoons. It will be all grass habait.
Nomeite
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:14 pm

With a layout blind and hybrid boat, you're going to be sitting pretty! Keep checking out new hunting spots and planning for next year. :thumbsup:

Make sure you post up pics and your experiences when you build your hybrid boat. I'm kicking around the idea of building one for next season as well. Finding the right materials in Alaska is always tougher. :no:

Erich

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Erich_870
hunter

Postby Nomeite » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:29 pm

Thanks Erich. I just bought a router for making the Hybrid. Girlfriend dosen't know yet :sad: I have a couple of good locations but I just couldn't get to them while I was jump shooting. I'm actualy going out tonight ptargaim hunting, the birds are white now and the ground is brown, so the hunting will be like "sitting ducks". Good luck to you this year. :beer:
Nomeite
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:57 am

Information I have gathered from other Nome area duck hunters is the use of swan decoys to draw birds in. A former mining engineer up there used a KARA style marsh boat to get off the road to some coastal lagoons. Two home made swan decoys and a dozen duck decoys and he cleaned up on the birds when they were passing through. He also had some brant decoys and focused on those as much as he could.

His swan deocys were pretty simple. 8 inches of foam in a rough swan shape and coated with FG cloth and epoxy left over from the boat build. He made the heads and necks out of solid wood and they had a peg at the bottom to fit into a wood block glued into the foam. This made them easier to handle in the boat.

Rumor is that the guy still has the family cabin on the claim up there and the boat and decoys are stored there for seasonal use.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:03 pm

Nomeite wrote: I just bought a router for making the Hybrid.

The router is not really needed for this boat. A jig saw or skill saw at the most. The router makes rounding over the gunnels easier than using a file or sander.

The most important tool for the FG work is a random orbit sander. Granted these boats don't need to be finished out as nice as a bright work boat, but you might find yourself needing to do a lot of sanding between epoxy coatings and a power sander saves a lot of elbow grease.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:11 pm

AK Ray wrote:Information I have gathered from other Nome area duck hunters is the use of swan decoys to draw birds in. A former mining engineer up there used a KARA style marsh boat to get off the road to some coastal lagoons. Two home made swan decoys and a dozen duck decoys and he cleaned up on the birds when they were passing through. He also had some brant decoys and focused on those as much as he could.

His swan deocys were pretty simple. 8 inches of foam in a rough swan shape and coated with FG cloth and epoxy left over from the boat build. He made the heads and necks out of solid wood and they had a peg at the bottom to fit into a wood block glued into the foam. This made them easier to handle in the boat.

Rumor is that the guy still has the family cabin on the claim up there and the boat and decoys are stored there for seasonal use.

Cool info! :thumbsup: What's the premise on the swans? Better visibility, confidence decoys? :smile:

Erich

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Erich_870
hunter

Postby Nomeite » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:39 pm

Great info AkRay. Yeah, the ducks usally aren't hunted from blinds up here so if anybody is doing it will bring home lots of duck. Great idea about the making the swan decoys, I'll try making a few this winter. Thanks again.
Nomeite
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:43 pm

Erich_870 wrote:What's the premise on the swans? Better visibility, confidence decoys?
Erich

Both. Swans pull vegetation up from depths most puddle ducks can't easily reach. As they pull it up ducks will come in and take the stuff. Wigeons follow along behind swans and nibble their left overs. Mallards do the same.
Being a larger bird swans need more food so where ever they are sitting and dipping their heads will give the appearance of lots of food for all birds.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:57 pm

AK Ray wrote:Both. Swans pull vegetation up from depths most puddle ducks can't easily reach. As they pull it up ducks will come in and take the stuff. Wigeons follow along behind swans and nibble their left overs. Mallards do the same.
Being a larger bird swans need more food so where ever they are sitting and dipping their heads will give the appearance of lots of food for all birds.

Thanks Ray,

That's good to know! :thumbsup:

Erich

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Erich_870
hunter

Postby Randy Johnson » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:29 pm

A week or so ago I took my grand-daughter down to Potter Marsh to watch the Swans. There were a number of Mallards dining with them.
Randy Johnson
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:47 pm

That's one of the reasons people get skunked because they don't study birds. People set up there spread they just read in a magazine and start blowing away on there kazoo and wonder why there not killing birds. Spend sometime at places like potters marsh and car washes and you'll learn more than you think which will make you a better hunter.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting