Pyramid State Park

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Re: Pyramid State Park

Postby deathranger333 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:24 pm

hunter69 wrote:there is a small creek that stays open most of the winter on the extreme southeast corner of the Denmark unit stake 22 go to the n orth side of the pond about 20 yards. I have had great success when other holes are frozen up.

This is the post that said where the spot was. Wouldn't you have to draw the stake to hunt this area? I'm not sure since I've never hunted at PSP.

I was down there at a private farm and saw a crapload of geese and ducks flying last week. I will defintiely be travelling down that way sometime in the near future.

Also if someone gives out a spot in the forums and it honks someone off why would the response not come in a PM instead of on the open board? If they should have to give out info in a PM the complaints should have to be in a PM also. Just my opinion.
"I guarantee zero. Anything after that is a bonus." Jimbo from RNT
deathranger333
hunter

Postby hunter69 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:32 am

I apologize again for that post in the open like that. new to this forum stuff. I've been pm'ing ever since. and that spot is no place for anyone that respects there vehicle or its they're on means of transportation. you will definitely find out what I'm talking about if you try to get back there and no wrecker service will attempt to pull you out back there. the road isn't bad at first but it gets alot worse the further you go. does anyone have a count on the snows at pyramid?
hunter69
hunter

Postby deathranger333 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:48 am

Hunter69 I'm not mad about the post, on the contrary I apreciate the info. I'm just sick of people getting POed about people posting in the open. If they get pissed then they should follow their own advice and bitch in private. If I had a good spot but couldn't use it the I would gladly give it out to whoever wanted to use it. You keep on keeping on brother.

About the snows. I was there on the 15th and there were waves and waves of snows, but that was over a week ago.
"I guarantee zero. Anything after that is a bonus." Jimbo from RNT
deathranger333
hunter

Postby hunter69 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:48 pm

thanks death ranger333 ya I'm gunna try to make a trip up there when I get off the boat. the Williamson county tourism bureau number for the count has been kinda screwy for me. have they set a decoy limit at pyramid yet?
hunter69
hunter

Postby ringneck5499e » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:02 pm

My best advice if you hunt the draw is to make sure the IDNR employee puts your friggin pingpong ball in the hopper! Our number never got called yesterday, bad enough having to depend on luck, even worse when the guy runnin the draw doesn't put your ball in... Didn't matter much as very few ducks flew and very few shots were fired. And keep postin about the place, the crowds will keep on growin...
ringneck5499e
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:46 pm

ringneck5499e wrote:My best advice if you hunt the draw is to make sure the IDNR employee puts your friggin pingpong ball in the hopper! Our number never got called yesterday, bad enough having to depend on luck, even worse when the guy runnin the draw doesn't put your ball in... Didn't matter much as very few ducks flew and very few shots were fired. And keep postin about the place, the crowds will keep on growin...

How much of the area is iced up? Bob
BRCPres
hunter

Postby hunter69 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:29 am

that has actually happened to me too. ball was never put in but there are plenty of spots to freelance that I've found and that's why I don't even mess with the draw anymore when I get a chance to get up that way. have they set. a decoy limit up there yet?
hunter69
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:44 pm

Anyone have any reports on PSP? I see the aerial numbers are still a bit low, but on the increase. Anyone doing any good?
BRCPres
hunter

Postby UKBDM » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:34 am

Hunted at GanderHill just north of the park on Sat and Sun last weekend. Lots of new specks and snows but no new ducks. Killed a few snows and some bluebills but need some weather/wind to help out. Specks real spooky as usual.
Drove down thru the park and saw plenty of specks and quite a few snows. Don't know enough to say whether #'s are up or down.
UKBDM
hunter

Postby Sir Douglas. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:06 am

I saw some ducks on the refuge too, not sure if it was a lot either. I plan on going down and freelancing in a couple weeks on a Saturday or Sunday. I doubt I could make it to the draw and would have no idea which spot to choose any how. How busy is it on the weekends? Do most people attend the draw? Just trying to get an idea of how many back up spots I need to have. Got 2-3 spots in mind.
Sir Douglas.
hunter

Postby mgerlach » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:32 pm

was 23 groups there today. there are a few birds there but not near as many as there normally is this time of season. thousands of snows, few specks, and even less honkers.
mgerlach
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:17 pm

This could be the big push, boys. Anybody going this week?
BRCPres
hunter

Postby UKBDM » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:35 am

Hunted Mon and Tue (Dec 10-11) at Gander Hill. Was in a pit right on the south border of the park and killed 17 specks/snows with a north wind and a mostly snow spread.

New ducks moving in all day on Monday. Big groups of mallards flying high. Hunted on water Tue but wind had changed and clear skys. Still managed a few ducks.
UKBDM
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:40 pm

Does anyone know of a link to the blind locations at PSP? I can't find anything on the web.
Last edited by BRCPres on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRCPres
hunter

Postby Sir Douglas. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:11 am

I turned the maps into a pdf if you want them. PM me and I can email them to you. They aren't as good as the originals but will give you a good idea. I hunted down there for the first time Saturaday. I didn't kill anything, but saw some ducks they just won't work my spread. I got to witness some nice skybusting for the first time. I normally hunt off the Kaskaskia River in locations without anyone else around so not used to having other hunters close. These guys where shooting at birds on the water at 70+ yards out and then reloaded to shoot at them as they flew over them at 100 yards plus. Utterly amazing. These guys must have money to throw away cause shells just aren't that cheap at least to me. I was by myself and didn't have enough decoys set up in the correct manner, at least that's the story I'm telling. I also needed a boat as most of the water is to deep to wade.
Sir Douglas.
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks, Sir Doug. I sent you a PM.

Skybusters are such a pain. We typically hunt just South of Peoria, and we see that #^$%* all the time too. Ruins it for all. - Bob
BRCPres
hunter

Previous

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting