Aging ducks is AWESOME

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Re: Aging ducks is AWESOME

Postby jehler » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:51 pm

Pump that is real similiar to how we age our game but rather than the fridge we keep the whole ducks (plucked and gutted), quartered deer what not in a bigass cooler on ice for 7-10 days before final processing. make sure everything is clean and rinsed real well, no glands, hair or feathers left on the critters. the deer we then cut up and freeze, the ducks if we are roasting get put in the fridge uncovered for a day to let the skin dry out, makes it real nice and crispy, always leave the skin and fat on the birds, the best part. for divers we do the same but don't pluck the birds, ust put the breast meat, legs and thighs skinned nto bags and let them age that way :thumbsup:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby bayou06 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:07 am

I tried the brining method this season with mixed results. I brined the whole birds with very liberal dose of regular table salt. I had them in a large bowl with Saran wrap over the top. Swapped brined water each day. After 3 days I went to pack them up for freezing and a number of them were AWEFUL smelling. I threw them out very reluctantly. I worried that they had spoiled.

Any suggestion what I did wrong? They were well cleaned. I just don't know. I'd like to try the dry aging technique, but I'm leary since my last experiment. TIA for the input.

Bayou06
bayou06
Newb

Postby dog walker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:43 pm

I will sometimes age birds in the fridge for a few days. I always have had good results just letting them soak in milk overnight then wash them and soak in water to pull the milk out. For grilling I just use olive oil,garlic,pepper and season all.
dog walker
hunter

Postby flybum » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Hey guys...thot I would chime in here. I am just giving the aging a try after discussions with my brother. He has a good friend who is a dyed in the wool cajun from deep south Louisiana and he told my brother that you have never had duck unless you have had it after being dry aged. Here is the process that my brother has now tested and approved being the best thing he has seen in a long time. Said he has never had meat so good! So here it is...#1 shoot ducks. #2 put them whole (ungutted, unplucked) in the refrigerator for 3 days. #3 take ducks out of fridge and gut, pluck, and clean. #4 wrap ducks (loosely) in parchment paper and put back in fridge for 7-14 days. The longer you age the better. My brother did two birds the first time and was a bit skeptical, but stayed the course. He attests that the results of just a 7 day age (10 with first three days added) was unbelievably good. He is aging a lot of meat right now including several geese for Christmas. They will all be aged a full 14 + 3 for 17 days total. This is a true Cajun tradition and so far my brother says he had no idea what he was missing. We killed two limits today of Mallards and Black Ducks, so the ducks are in the fridge for my first go round. Hope this helps.
flybum
Newb

Postby JoeFish » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:17 pm

I want to try all this...

Good Thread!
JoeFish
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:07 am

JoeFish wrote:I want to try all this...

Good Thread!

Joe...sent you a PM. If you didn't hunt that hole today. GO TOMORROW. The ducks have been using it all week long.
Last day. GO do it! You'll smoke 'em. :thumbsup:
arkansas2013 253.jpg
arkansas2013 362.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Fatback » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:58 pm

They used to hang pheasants and upland till the necks would give with a bit of a tug. When you look at what chefs and or good butchers are doing by having beef aging programs that are now pushing 150 days or doing the same with game ( farmed in N-merica... wild in Europe). Pretty neat the flavour changes that happen through controlled decomposition.
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby dysco » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:36 am

I am totally baffled by this "bleeding" talk. I clean my ducks, sometimes within an hour of shooting them, skin them, salt and pepper, then put them in the fridge for 1-7 days and cook them sliced or whole in a hot skillet to rare or medium rare. It's better than beef, elk, venison... we can't get enough of it.
dysco
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:06 pm

That reminds me, I have a couple of Woodies hanging in the fridge. I hang them whole, guts and all, at 34-36 degrees, like the old timers did. I never could figure out why some folks worry about the "gamey" flavor. They mellow out pretty good when aged, but still have that "wild duck" flavor. If you use to much crap to hide the taste (brine, marinade, milk!) why not just throw them away and eat some chicken or something? I don't know how many times I've tasted some wild game dish and all I can taste is sauce or salad dressing or some weird thing. And bacon! Enough already. Bacon is for breakfast with a side of eggs and maybe some grits, not wrapped around a game bird. Geez. :wink:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:42 pm

I own a meat plant, so when I kill birds I just toss em in the cooler till I find the time to deal with them. I leave the feathers on and guts inside for up to 3 weeks and they are dilish; salt and pepper is all they need.. Only time you will have problems is if the duck was shot in a way that gut contents get into the meat; those ones wont make it very long. Leaving the skin on allows aging to take place without bacteria from the outside touching the meat. So long as meat is cooled properly it can only "rot " from the outside in, so large pieces of meat can be aged for considerable time.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:57 am

dysco wrote:I am totally baffled by this "bleeding" talk. I clean my ducks, sometimes within an hour of shooting them, skin them, salt and pepper, then put them in the fridge for 1-7 days and cook them sliced or whole in a hot skillet to rare or medium rare. It's better than beef, elk, venison... we can't get enough of it.

Do you bag them up when you put them in the fridge?
agengo02
hunter

Previous

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking