Mossberg 935 not ejecting

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Mossberg 935 not ejecting

Postby Macklin96 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:33 am

My friends Mossberg 935 will not eject any shell after fired. It just stays hooked to the bolt. Any ideas? hoping it is a quick fix since he wants to hunt sat. The gun has been cleaned. it is 2 years old but shot less then 200 times
Macklin96
hunter

Re: Mossberg 935 not ejecting

Postby Brodie James » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:10 am

Normally that would indicate a problem with the ejector and/or extractor. You will need to remove the bolt and bolt carrier and make sure the extractor is clean and operating and make sure the ejector is not broken or jammed somehow. He may need the gun exploded drawing and parts list to determine this. Some Mossberg schematics I have seen lack sufficient detail for a novice to identify some individual parts.
Brodie James
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Ned S » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:58 am

My manual does not show the break down of the bolt assembly which you need. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby fallnl » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:28 pm

Mine had the same problem...First clean the thing completely...THEN...Look at your ammo...A 935, being the beast that it is, requires a shell with a muzzle energy of 1550FPS or better to cycle the bolt. The hotter the load, the better...Don't forget to clean out the gas piston assembly, making sure to check the gas porting holes through to the barrel clear...Should clear the problem right up....It took awhile for me to figure out the ammo problem... :thumbsup:
If it flies...It might not die, but by God it will get a damned good dodging workout!!!

2009 TOTALS:
Mallard: 5

Team Quackers for Quackers...(the lowly probie)
fallnl
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:06 pm

fallnl wrote:A 935, being the beast that it is, requires a shell with a muzzle energy of 1550FPS or better to cycle the bolt.

:huh:

Never heard that one LOL

I have 2 of them and 1250fps 1-1/8 clays loads work just fine in them. At least all the ones I have fired. I argee on a good cleaning and blow it all out with compressed air to get the stuff you can not see. then, as others mentioned, check the bolt assembly and ejector, the ejector is what kicks the empty out of the open chamber after being fired.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fishduck » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:12 pm

Sounds like a cleaning issue to me. Take the bolt out and apart and clean it. Then the gas system needs a good cleaning.
Also if this problem started right after a cleaning the gas system parts are not put together in the right order.

Good Luck,
Fishduck
fishduck
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:31 am

if you can't get the extractor out, soke the bolt in something that is made to disolve powder. The extractor is pretty easy to take out. from what i recall no pins hold it in, its all held in under small pressure spring.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby BMiller » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:16 am

Mossberg 935 is made for 3" - 3 1/2" High Brass Shells. The gun will not extract "Low Brass" 2 /34" shell's every time due to not having enough power / powder to cycle the receiver.. Try using High Brass #9,#8,Etc. 2 3/4" shells. Fiocchi #9 2 3/4" have always worked for me.
BMiller
Newb

Postby StevenL » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:13 pm

Macklin96 wrote:My friends Mossberg 935 will not eject any shell after fired. It just stays hooked to the bolt. Any ideas? hoping it is a quick fix since he wants to hunt sat. The gun has been cleaned. it is 2 years old but shot less then 200 times

There's supposed to be a small pin at the rear of the barrel (the part of the barrel that fits inside the receiver). If that pin is missing, send the shotgun back to Mossberg. What that little pin does is make contact with the side of the cartridge head opposite the extractor claw when the bolt slides rearward and causes the shell to flip out through the ejection port.
StevenL
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum