Score One!

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Score One!

Postby captainduckhead » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:31 pm

Due to an excessively long "honey do" list, I was unable to set traps on Sunday our Season Opener. I got back from Duck Hunting and my wife had other plans for me. So I got up this morning and started setting traps around 5:30 AM.
I managed to get 5 good sets in before I had to go to work.
I went back to make one more set around 3 PM today, and walked past one of my sets and found my first mink of the season
!cid__1026091447.jpg
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Re: Score One!

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:08 pm

Good deal CDH, I've got till the Friday before our duck opener to set steel. Which I probably won't be able to do anyway. When are you setting up on the marina?
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:10 pm

Congrats on the mink CDH! Hope you get some more. I can't wait for our rat/mink season to open.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:17 am

I set up around the marina last night in the dark, 4 mink sets and 1 coon set. The one thing that sucks about setting traps in the dark, is often you don't get a good enough overall view of the area. I like to look at a set and actually visualize the approach. You just can't do that in the dark. As a result I ended up with 2 sprung traps this morning, and 1 robbed bait set. It's been a while and I sort of forgot a few tricks and bits of knowledge, like smart coons can rob the hell out of your traps and walk away with a nice meal without even setting off your trap. So I had to impliment a few stepping sticks, reposition a couple traps, and start fresh. We are plagued with feral cats around here so I'm a little nervous about getting one of those...
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby OrangeLake » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:46 am

Why would you be nervous about getting a feral cat?
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:48 pm

OrangeLake wrote:Why would you be nervous about getting a feral cat?

Trappers have a bad reputation as it is. Most people wouldn't like the idea of someone trapping a cat. Once you catch one you've either got a hell of a battle on your hands or a dead cat. The marina where I work/trap is fairly active with customers and employees. I just don't want the hassle of catching some mangy ass cat
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby OrangeLake » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:25 am

Yea, the "cat crew" is no fun to deal with. I used to do trapping for the USDA Wildlife Services and we would get some major flak from them if we had any accidentals they found out about.
OrangeLake
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum