Turtle eat my teal!!!

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Turtle eat my teal!!!

Postby Abzack » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:11 pm

This morning I shot a greenwing teal as it was coming in to my decoys, but before I could retrive it adarn snapper turtle came up and got it I've never seen such a thing has anyone else ever had a simular experiance happen to them?
Abzack
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:57 pm

Never had a turtle take one. Had a Coyote sprint thru one day while field shooting. Went after a just downed flapping Mallard, #3's do a number on a 'yote at 30yds. Partner had an Owl take a crack at a floating downed bird 20 years ago, they fly quiet. Spend enough time outdoors and you see alot of interesting things.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:24 pm

We were working a pair of grey ducks last year, they had circled about 3 times. They got out in front and to the right. A hawk came down and picked off one of the birds. That was propably the neatest thing Ive ever seen.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Cobra » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:38 pm

:eek: Think I'd pay decent money to see that.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby kyfowler » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:11 pm

two years ago i was dove hunting and the i shot on but only crippled it. it swooped down and headed for a tree when a hawk came out of nowhere and took it right of the sky, really cool to watch.
kyfowler
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:06 pm

Cobra wrote:Spend enough time outdoors and you see alot of interesting things.

what he said
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby akbrett » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:03 pm

It must be the year for these types of things. Last weekend I lost not 1 but 2 birds to eagles. The first one was an immature Bald eagle that took my stone dead mallard before the dog had a chance to get halfway to the bird. I then went down river to another set of ponds and jumped some Goldeneyes and I managed to knock one down. I sent the dog out and started to reload. When I looked up the dog was about 35 feet away from the bird and a mature Bald eagle swooped down and hit the bird. He didn't grab it though and swung back around, and dipped slightly as he went over my pooch who was paddling his butt off to get to the bird. To make a long story short it took the eagle 3 trys to get the bird and when he finally took the bird the dog was only about 8 feet away. Needless to say I was more concerned about my dogs safety than the stupid bird.
akbrett
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:16 am

I have seen alot of ducklings and even a goosling get eat by turtles in local farm ponds while fishing in the spring.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:21 am

Did see a Northern Pike nail a goosling a couple of years ago, was time to fling some big topwaters.
Cobra
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:10 pm

Last year I had an eagle come within 5 yards of nailing one of my decoys. He aborted just in time.
maddiedog
hunter

Postby wspiller » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:09 pm

Last year had an owl rearrange my decoys, picked one up relized it wasnt real and dropped it, was one of the neater things we seen that day
wspiller
hunter

Postby Get'em » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:45 pm

i was hunting out on the river and i had my teal decoys set out some in a little current when all of the sudden a big bald eagle took it right off the water luckily i was able to retrieve it. i have it on film. maybe i can put it on here.
Get'em
hunter

Postby jlb512 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:56 pm

I was goose hunting with a guy who shot a bird and it landed about 200 yards from us, it took about 30 minutes to locate it in this old flooded timber and when we got to it the foot was stripped clean, on top of that it was banded.
jlb512
hunter

Postby JPS » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:07 am

I had a peregrine attacking my decoys. It came right out of the blue sky, and i only noticed it when I heard the ventilator like sound when it refused some 50 cm over the decoy.
Waterfowler
JPS
hunter

Postby poacher » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:20 pm

akbrett, i was up in your area on the Kenai Peninnsula doing some fishing, i saw a seagull pick up a small fish, then an eagle take them both. Fantastic.
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Postby POSSUM » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:48 pm

for sept. teal season, i have had turtles and youg gators eat my teal. i was watching a teal on the pond. then it started shaking. got in my boat and went to it. 3 red ear turtles under it. they had already eaten half the breast. small gators, you see them coming the minute it hits the water. usaully shoot by them and they turn around. but sometimes they sneak in and steal one.....
DUCKS, BASS AND LSU....IT DONT GET NO BETTER.....
POSSUM
hunter

Postby firebird » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:10 pm

I jumped a bald eagle of a sand bar once while he was eating a greenhead. The feet were left and sure enough he WAS banded. I saw a golden eagle pound a goleneye out of the air and last Spring watched a pair hunting together jump a flock of sage grouse and each kill a bird. I saw some type of falcon nail a chukar once after a full speed chase clear to the bottom of a mountain and once we watched a hen mallard lose half her clutch to several large cutthroats in a local stream.The golden eagles are the most impressive, a bird that big that can move that fast and powerful is scary.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:30 pm

:withstupid:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby esq.quackhead » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:28 pm

i have never seen turtle or an eagle, but i hunt down south in the everglades and have seen alligators grab cripples. They are pretty much safe if they are dead when they hit the water, but if they are crippled and still flopping around, you can forget it...its hard to get the blind down and the motor started in time before a gator gets it !
I guess the only way to proptect form it happening is ti hit 'em right in the FACE ! thank God for full chokes and hevi-shot !
"the only time you will find sucess before work, is in the dictionary"
esq.quackhead
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:50 pm

Get'em wrote:i was hunting out on the river and i had my teal decoys set out some in a little current when all of the sudden a big bald eagle took it right off the water luckily i was able to retrieve it. i have it on film. maybe i can put it on here.

is it a video or pictures? if it is a video you can host it at www.putfile.com i would love to see that
Rowdy
hunter

Postby waterfowler82 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:37 am

Oh man, I'd love to see that video! Please post that thing! That'd be awesome...
waterfowler82
hunter

Got one

Postby duckphanaticinpa » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:32 am

I used to fish a large farm pond as a kid with huge largemouth bass. One summer morning I caught one that had to weigh about eight pounds reached in to take the hook out and sure enough a duckling was lodge in his throat and this thing was still trying to eat.
duckphanaticinpa
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:21 pm

I have been lucky enough to see on more than one occasion, hawks in Northern Illinois grab a couple of birds and a squirel. Beleive it or not most of them were in Chicago. Walking out of work a couple of years ago I had a pigeon swoop by my head. Well, I thought it was a pigeon. Until it landed 15 feet infront of me on a squirel. I saw almost the same thing in Daley Plaza only it was a pigeon the Hawk was after.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Beluga » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:57 am

Several year ago we used to have those Deeks rubber inflatable decoys that you can just throw in the water. We left them overnight in a pond and the next morning several of them were ruined because eagle(s) had dive bombed them and punched holes in them. My cousin used to set net for salmon in bristol bay, he said he saw an eagle sink it's claws inot an 8-10 pound salmon. The eagle got dunked pretty good before it could let go!
Beluga
hunter

Postby marcbme » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:31 am

This didn't happen while duck hunting but when I was fishing.

I caught a sucker and threw it up on the bank behind me. About an hour later, we stopped to notice a squirrel trying to drag that carp away. About then a red-tailed hawk came down and decided he wanted the carp. We sat there and watched a squirrel and a hawk in a sucker tug-of-war! The squirrel finally realized who he was fighting with and made a hasty and smart retreat. Very cool.
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting