Pheasant / quail tips??

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Pheasant / quail tips??

Postby aftershox454 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:37 pm

Hey guys,

newbie to upland game and since the ducks are still not here in eastern WA, I thought i would head out for some upland stuff...

I have a piece of public land that gets hunted pretty hard and not much experience with this type of hunting. I know that there must be a strategic way to hunt the rolling hills and tall grass other just amelessly walking around.
habitat is typical eastern WA (for those that know the area its the Fishtrap pheasant release site) scabland with grasses.

if anyone could throw down some tips as to what to look for or ways to move to help increase success in the field it would be greatly appreciated.

:bow:

Thanks in advance
aftershox454
hunter

Re: Pheasant / quail tips??

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:09 pm

First rule of the game is to get.....................

A dog if possible on all upland birds.

You can walk all day and only flush one covey where a dog will wind them and find them when down or crippled !!

Other wise you are just spinning your wheels.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby aftershox454 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:48 pm

I do have a dog!!

he does have a a good background with duck and has helped me get a few grouse so he should do the trick....
aftershox454
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:42 am

Got to get the dog on as many birds as possible including paying for them at the preserve level. Also need to teach the dog to work in front, in range, and quarter. Obedience on a flushing dog is also huge so the dog stays in range on runners and flushes for the gun.

Doing this right takes time and exposure - the more you put the dog on birds the better they learn how they successfully work a bird i.e. wind, cover, etc. Dogs not acclimated to believe over time that there is a bird in every bush tend to quit hunting pretty quick in scarcely populated bird areas.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Upland Game