Larvae in duck breast???

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Larvae in duck breast???

Postby HumboldtHonkerHunter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:00 pm

I shot several ducks this Tuesday, mostly widgeon and teal. While cleaning the birds I discovered something interesting in one of the widgeon. I have been waterfowl hunting for years and have killed hundreds of birds, this is the first time I have ever seen anything like this. In the breast meat of the bird it appeared like it have several larva or worm/egg-like things just under the surface of the flesh. I discarded the bird, not knowing what the objects were, and hope to find an answer. If anyone has seen this before or know what it is, please fill me in. Thank you.
Attachments
downsized_1117091409a.jpg
1117091409b.jpg
1117091409.jpg
HumboldtHonkerHunter
Newb

Re: Larvae in duck breast???

Postby quackerattacker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:13 pm

It's "ricebreast". A parasite that infects waterfowl. We usually see it more during the early part o the season. It's not harmful to humans, and if you've eaten many ducks, then you've already eaten them. They disappear while cooking.

By the way, they're not only "just beneath the skin". The migrate there from the intestines, so they can be anywhere.

You can either discard them, go ahead and eat them, or just pluck all your ducks and you'll never even know... :yes:
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby HumboldtHonkerHunter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Thanks quack...these birds are headed to the smoker otherwise I would have kept the skin on and probably never would have known like you stated.
HumboldtHonkerHunter
Newb

Postby ltcoljdf » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:05 am

ltcoljdf
hunter

Postby Runin'N'Gunin606 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:48 am

As said, its rice breast, its got some really long scientific name or something, i shot a hen mallard 2 years ago in late November in lake Champlain. Just weeks before i shot it, i read about it on DU. I wasnt sure about eating it so i threw it away but i also wasnt surpirsed because i shot it at Lake Champlain.
Runin'N'Gunin606
hunter

Postby anatidaephobic » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:40 am

I shot a drake mallard last year that I ran through the plucking machine. The machine tore the breast skin pretty bad so i went ahead and skinned the mallard out. Thats when I noticed the "ricebreast". YUK!! Nasty stuff. If you can overcome the gross factor then go for it, but I'm not about to eat it. It was so nasty I stopped plucking ducks and started skinning them just so I could inspect them a bit closer. Biologist say that a squirrel infected with bot fly larvae is safe to eat too. Whatever!
anatidaephobic
hunter

Postby rabidhunter66 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:17 am

UGH I have never been more sorry that I looked at a post :eek: I knew better but it was like wanting to know how hot dogs were made. Ah well I still eat hot dogs.
rabidhunter66
hunter

Postby JAXDuckMan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:24 am

Eat it thats what I would do. No point in being squimish as a hunter you should be used to it anyways. Remember you can eat your own crap if its been cooked.
2012/13 season
16-BW teal
16 Bluebills
1 hog, 5 more hogs with friends.
JAXDuckMan
hunter

Postby aboz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:19 pm

We shot a Widgeon that had them in it's breasts this year. Heard of it before, but was surprised to see it. I normally hear about it in the central flyway, not as much out here in the pacific.
take em
aboz
hunter

Postby CutEmMS » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:33 pm

ive seen it in shovelers, mallards, and teal......
CutEmMS
hunter

Postby reel determined » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:37 pm

I shot a black duck with it last week.
reel determined
hunter

Postby duaney2 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:57 pm

I shot a pintail and a wigeon with it this year, wigeon wasn't heavily infested but the pintail was really loaded, about double what you show in the pic which made it pretty nasty.

I checked this out after shooting the first one couldn't imagine eating it even though it is OK.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Hun ... cystis.asp
duaney2
hunter

Postby duckkillerclyde » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:14 pm

I had a teal with it 10X's worse than the picture. I thought the ends of the feathers were in the meat.
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Return to Conservation/Biology