duck boat reccomendations

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

duck boat reccomendations

Postby gmannn » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:53 am

I am looking to by a new v bottomed aluminum boat to dress with a camo set up for duck hunting in the memphremagog watershed (will also use to fly fish the local lakes) decided on 14 foot as 16 just won't get me into certain spots and under some trestles. Probably 15 HP motor. Would like to hear any suggestions on features that folks would recommend. Some suggestions to date are wider for stability, shallow motor for getting through the milfoil, etc. Magog can get very nasty on short notice so I will not be taking major chances with a 14 footer.
Thanks
gmannn
hunter

Re: duck boat reccomendations

Postby duckin-A » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:21 pm

Lund w/ Merc or honda!!
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby ronvt » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:05 pm

I have a 1800 lund alaskan with a 90hp. I am very pleased with it so far. Try giving woodard marine in bomoseen a call. They are the vermont dealers on lund. Lauren is the lady I dealt with at 265-3690 . You can't go wrong with a lund.
ronvt
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:17 pm

ya I have a 20 ft Alaskan w 90 merc tiller.........from Woddards........but it is not set up for duck hunting yet......camo color great fishing platform and potential duck boat when i dont have other friends options!! check out Woodard's!!
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:53 am

I have a 16 foot "v-bottom aluminum boat" that gets a wooden blind put on it each fall. It works well and takes some weather.

I wouldn't want anything narrower, so give careful consideration to the beam of any boat you are looking at. Remember you get "fluffy" with all your gear on and need extra room to move.

Another thing for you to consider: I wish my boat had a square bow. The way I launch and enter and exit the boat, I or my guests need to climb over the bow to get in. A square bow will be much more compatible with a blind and make accessing the boat easier.

And, unless I'm missing something, if you have places you can get with a 14 foot boat but not a 16 foot boat, that seems to be splitting hairs. What if the water drops an inch?

If I were in your shoes again, I would first consider function and safety (boat size and how you will use it) then go from there. I have a kayak for my backwater adventures.

Good luck!

NW
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby IslandHunter » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:01 am

I've experienced hunting in all kinds of small-craft & larger boats, and had the pleasure of hunting in ronvt's Lund. Without a doubt this is the best setup I've experienced, period. The design is well thought out enough to be a proficient hunting rig, is safe, warm, and comfortable, is great for fishing, and a good family boat to boot. I'm getting great utility out of my own 16ft boat w/folding grass blind, but when I'm in a position to get a new boat the Lund w/four stroke will be at the top of my list.
IslandHunter
hunter

Postby gmannn » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Been a while since last post.....
ended up with a wc14 Lund in camo green with a 15 hp merc. Ordered in Feb. From woodards and finally got down there to get it in May. Did the break in today and it is just what I need - easy for an old guy to handle, quick to get off the lake, safe, stable, and good in very shallow spots. about to order the Avery and will be good to go. thanks for the recommend on Woodards -good price and very nice folks.
gmannn
hunter

Postby gmannn » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:49 pm

Got the Avery on the boat and making a few final adjustments. Was wondering about different setups and what folks like. Seems the company recommends that you hunt with the top completely closed then pop up and shoot. Seems to be some visibility through the camo netting but the set up I find a little restrictive and maybe a bit too long of a warning to some birds. Anybody else out there hunt from an quick set blind and have an opinion?
Thanks
gmannn
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting