Duck Hunting Forum banner

Ptargaim

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jonnyb 
#1 ·
Since the ducks and geese are gone from the Nome area I've been going ptargaim hunting. On six hunts I was only successful once; we got twelve, hunting these birds has been slow and I'm wasting a lot of gas. How is ptargaim hunting in your area? or are you all still lucky enough to have ducks or geese. So far this is a bad year for me hunting. We need to get more snow in the mountains for caribou, so I'm just waiting hunting the Alaskan Chicken in the meantime. Love to hear about some successful hunts.

#2 ·
Well, I duck hunt as long as the law lets me. Down here I duck hunt as much as I can. Sea duck hunting is a blast and not that bad eating in my opinion. I also shoot mallards, scaup, goldeneyes all the way to the last day of the season. Heck they are nice for the wall that time of year. As for ptarmgain, I haven't shot one. Get plenty of spuce chickens though.

#3 ·
kodiak slam full of ducks. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: Ptarmigan r a different story very hard to find on road system. Plannig a trip to Fairbanks area next september and pointers from anyone on duck and ptamigan up that way

#4 ·
I've hunted ptarmigan on the Denali Highway and surrounding area before in late summer. Great fun! Just drive around until you see them running along the road and then follow them into the brush. They offer some great shooting and what beautiful birds! Sometimes walking through some thick stuff is involved but very worth it. We averaged 5-6 per day. Not great but for a guy from Michigan thats enough to put a smile on my face!

#5 ·
cool I have shot a few over this way but hard to find some times we get lucky. What about around Keni area? The 700+ mile drive from Homer makes Fairbanks a lil out of budget

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.