First season in AL

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

First season in AL

Postby GIjake » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:55 pm

Headed out tomorrow for my first season out here in AL. Hunted for years growing up with my Dad back in Oklahoma were we use to pass on woodies all the time. Don't think I can do that down here or I will be going home empty handed alot. Not sure if anyone on here hunts in the SE part of the state but I am down here and could always use a hunting partner. Not sure if my spots will pan out this season but I will be out there trying. Good luck to you all this season.
GIjake
hunter

Re: First season in AL

Postby happyhnter » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:36 pm

what part of SE Alabama are you in?
happyhnter
Newb

Postby GIjake » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:38 am

In the Dothan/Enterprise area. Where are you at?
GIjake
hunter

Postby happyhnter » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:36 pm

oxford
happyhnter
Newb

Postby GIjake » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:25 pm

You all seeing any birds up there? I had a few woodies come through the dekes right before shooting time and a few more buzz aroung throughout the morning but that was about it. The lack of both ducks and geese on any of these fields and flood control ponds around them is amazing. Just have to see if things change as the season rolls along.
GIjake
hunter

Postby jaker » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:02 pm

I used to live in dothan and I will give you some tips, but can't say too much because im at auburn now and still have some overlapping ground. First, Look at the chatahootchie river. find sleughs offf of it. if you have a boat, you can find ducks. second, I don't hunt seminole so I will tell you that if you can get in with some boys that do from dothan, you can kill good numbers of divers ther if you work hard. look for beaver swamps on farmers lands, and ask permission, if its surrounded by fields its likely to be unused and more than likely they wont have a problem with you huntingn it .
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby GIjake » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:30 am

Thanks for the help. I have found a few little holes that have some woodies on them but so far thats all I have really seen. When you were hunting down around here did a good number of birds ever really come down or does the season mostly consist of killing a few small birds here and there?
GIjake
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting