Grouse fan mount kits

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Grouse fan mount kits

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:01 am

Well it finally happened. While sitting on the shore of my buddy's pond this morning, I turned around to see a grouse on a log behind me and to my left. After quickly ID'ing it I wasted little time and got off one clean shot before I short shucked... The first shot did it's magic and she was down for the count. It was the first taken off the land since Sept. 17th, and my first ever! A pretty sizeable one at that!
Now I'd like to mount the fan. Do any of you know where to get a fan mounting kit? Cheaper ones would be preferred, bbut I will look into 'em all. Thanks for your help.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby lars » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:49 pm

you simply dont need a kit. All you have to do is grab a big chunk of tail at the base, and twist it right off- it dosent take much.
glue about three or soo layers of cardboard together, and pint it on as you want it. It might take 20-30 pins, but take your time.
then wait till it completely dries and its done.
good luck!
went puddler hunting this year as usual.... shot more divers than puddle ducks. typical
lars
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:26 pm

I might have to give that a try but my brother picked up a kit from someone on ebay, thus they must be available somewhere. Basically it is a wooden plaque...kinda' like a antler or turkey fan kit. but the turkey kits are awfully big for one lil' ol' grouse.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby lars » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:49 pm

you could probably make a wood background yourself in not long.
went puddler hunting this year as usual.... shot more divers than puddle ducks. typical
lars
hunter

Postby bullocklabradors » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:01 pm

You can get a small circle of styrofoam and wrap it with leather or whatever you choose. Then you attach a piece of wood to the back and use a piece of metal hanger for the hook. Below is a picture of some I did with turkey tails and I also did one with several pheasant tails.

Drop me a PM with your email and I will send you an article out of a Field and Stream with instructions.

Take Care,

Travis R. Bullock

"IF YOU CAN SEE THEIR EYES, SHOOT EM IN THE LIPS AND WATCH EM FOLD"

"IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND THEN IT'S RETRIEVED!"
bullocklabradors
Banned

Return to Upland Game