New to Alaska

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

New to Alaska

Postby Nubby 30 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:42 am

Hello,

I'm in the U.S. Air Force and just arrived in Alaska on Nov 11. I was stationed in Missouri for the last 12 years and for the last 7 of those have hunted as many days of the 60 day duck and goose season as possible. (much to the dislike of my wife) I arrived in this amazing place and wasn't sure if I could stay focused on waterfowl with all the other awesome things to hunt. I've been here 19 days and my 5 yr old Lab and I are going crazy. I am ready to puff the feathers on anything with wings. Fella's, I'm not looking for a handout. Just a bone. I don't have a boat or a 4-wheeler, yet but I have a 4x4 truck and a good pair of boots. I'm at Elmendorf just north of Anchorage so any suggestions of areas close to here for ducks, grouse, etc... I'll take them. I'm not asking for all the secrets. I know what it means to earn my stripes. Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks.
Nubby 30
Newb

Re: New to Alaska

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

:welcome: Yes there is so much to do here but come duck season its game on. Moose season is during duck season but unless your a die hard moose hunter you'll get plenty of bird blasting time in. I'm also stationed at Elmo btw but i'm in Iraq at the moment. I'll be home in jan. Maybe later we can break out some maps and i'll show you around. I'll shoot you a PM for a place to hunt right now if your dieing to get out. Otherwise keep lurking, you'll run across something.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AK Ray » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:05 pm

As you have noticed the water is very hard right now and the only ducks around are the park fed ones.
In this part of Cook Inlet the majority of our duck hunting is from September 1 to late October depending on when it freezes. Sometimes things stay open until mid November, but not often.

There are ducks around all winter though. They roost out on the salt marshes or at some open creeks in town where you can only hunt with a bird of prey. The open areas of the salt marshes right now are the most dangerous parts with ice flows and sloppy Cook Inlet silt. Not fun at all.

Contact the base and post wildlife offices about getting a base rec permit and go small game hunting on post. There can be some good spruce grouse on Ft Rich, but you have to check the daily briefing for which training areas are closed.

Other than that there are many places well north of town (about 2 hours drive) that hold birds, but with up to 4 feet of fresh snow in the last two days the travel is going to be hard going. The snowmachiners will be setting trails and what not for the next week, but they are not place to be walking with a dog. At least you can hear them coming.

For a lot more local Alaska info go join the Outdoors Directory forums and you can obtain tons of free info by lurking and searching.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby Randy Johnson » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:31 am

You can find some more information at

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/for ... y.php?f=39

I have heard of some late season hunting in the Homer area and Kodiak.

Enjoy you tour of duty here.

Randy
Randy Johnson
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting