Opening weekend...........how did you do??

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Opening weekend...........how did you do??

Postby ourtlc40 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:17 pm

Hey guys n gals (should be some gals out there right??)

How did you do this weekend in all this heat and cloudless skies? ?

5 Sat and 1 Sun.................Lots of shovelers and teal but no green heads etc seen.

Deano
Newbie north of Tulsa!
OURTLC40
ourtlc40
hunter

Postby BoggyBottomMudDuck » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:11 pm

Did alot better than I expected. Killed a widgeon, Shoveler, and a teal. That was saturday. Sunday It was really calm and we had one lone teal land in the dekes and we where farting around trying to get the blind tweaked out better. Needless to say we just all looked at each other like it was the first duck we had ever saw and she just flew off. It was funny but at the same time it sucked cause that was the only duck we had come in and the rest all stayed out on open water. There just wasnt much flying sunday
BoggyBottomMudDuck
hunter

Postby DS7 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:02 am

saturday moring we hunt zone 1 and there was 4 of us hunting and we got 4 pintail drakes, 5 mallard drakes, and 3 smiley mallards, and 5 big geese
DS7
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:00 pm

I hunted saturday and sunday mornings both, There were 4 of us on saturday morning and we ended up killing 20 teal, one northern shoveler, and one gadwall drake. Sunday morning was not as good, we only shot 3 teal and one gadwall.
By the way, what is considered a smiley mallard?
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Smiley Mallard

Postby ourtlc40 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:54 pm

Mat,
I'm guessing he's talking about what I call a shoveler. It has a faded green head, blue on the wings but has the big wide shoveler bill with all the strainer teeth.
Newbie north of Tulsa!
OURTLC40
ourtlc40
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:11 am

Roger, I know what a shoveler is, I have killed many of them on accident. :yes: I only like to shoot mallards, woodies, teal, and gadwalls if at all possible. I dont shoot those divers and other crap. I understand that the shoveler is a puddler, but i still dont like to eat em.
Ready for next weekend to roll around :hammering:
:getdown:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby okie_duck » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:03 pm

Our weekend was better than expected. There were 3 of us hunting on Saturday & Sunday. Just me on Monday. We changed our approach on Sunday and the birds we saw wouldn't decoy. The other hunters in the area had full limits. We are already having a better season than we did last year!

Saturday - shot 10 - 1 mallard, 1 diver (yuk), 5 gadwall & 3 teal

Sunday - shot 1 gadwall

Monday - Shot 6 - 2 mallards & 4 gadwall
okie_duck
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:31 pm

Where did you hunt at? Zone 1 or Zone 2. I only saw a couple of mallards throughout the whole weekend. I wish we could get some cold weather, this 80 degreed crap is not cuttin it.
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby PoppaPink » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:02 pm

We hunted Cobb on saturday and sunday- Shot 6 limits on saturday morning (suprisingly), Teal, wood ducks, shovelers, and a few mallards. Evening hunt was great too. Sunday was the complete opposite. Ony shot 7 ducks.
PoppaPink
hunter

Postby okie_duck » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:01 pm

We hunted the islands in Sequoyah NWR.
okie_duck
hunter

Postby lumberjack » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:18 pm

Not as good as you boys. I got the first skunk of my life. Email me if you want the list of excuses, I've been working on them all week as I explain the trip to everyone :oops: . I took a couple of guys who have never been hunting before., we had a good time even though we didn't harvest. We hunted Hackberry Flat, the conditions were the worst I have ever seen. There is very little water so far with the small amount of rain this year. I saw two areas that were decent to hunt on, both had enough hunters that would make it too crowded if we joined in the area. I saw very few ducks, tons of sandhill crane though if that's ur thing. I had two good shot opportunities and choked on both. If you want to hit Hack this year, I'd wait a little while for the water to show up. I did see good numbers on quail though. If you have any other questions about Hack, just ask; I spent lots of time scouting and covered every part of the WMA. I'm glad to hear of everyone's success :thumbsup: .
Hunt SAFE!
A man good at making excuses is good at nothing else.
Ben Franklin
lumberjack
hunter

opening day

Postby Rudy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:45 pm

we had a successful opening day. we camped out on a highly used public spot and ended up killing a six man limit by about 10 :30. it was really a great hunt. we had a blast and met some new friends. we both had ideas about setting up on the same spot so we threw a couple bratwursts on the grill and said that we would just hunt together, so we combined out dekes and mojos and tinkered with our set and had one of my best personal hunts. we killed alot of bwt,gwt, gaddies,widgeon, and two shovelers. Didn't hunt Sunday cuz we was gettin' ready for a trip to Kaw. not many birds or water up there and frankly wasn't worth the trip but we had a great time. we came back with 2 gaddies and a ringneck, even though we were on the completely wrong side of the lake. my 6 mo. old also made his first 3 retrieves at Kaw! :thumbsup:
Rudy
hunter

OPENING WEEKEND

Postby DUCKANDBUCKAHOLIC » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:36 am

MY FRIEND AND I WENT OUT AND KILLED 5 MALLARDS AND A BUFFLE HEAD. WE SAW A LOT OF DUCKS FLYING IN THE EARLY MOURNING BUT THEY QUIETED DOWN TOWARD 7 OR 7:30. WELL GOOD LUCK THE REST OF THE SEASON :thumbsup:
WHATEVER YOUR HANDS FIND TO DO, DO IT WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT.

ECCLESIASTES 9:10
DUCKANDBUCKAHOLIC
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting