Buford Bufffington, his travels continue...

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Buford Bufffington, his travels continue...

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:11 pm

After much waiting , the day finally came. Our guest from Jersey arrived on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. As luck would have it, I had to work Friday and Saturday and there was no way out of it.
Gotta say Crewchief did an awesome job putting this block together. The colors and the true to lifesize is just amazing to say the least.
Buford, as we came to call him because of his upscale appearance, seemed a little concerned when he heard my wife saying "He's so cute. Why can't we keep him" as if he were a stray dog or cat thrown on the side of the road, rather than the worldly traveler he was becoming.
Sunday couldn't get here soon enough. I would be hunting with my Sister and my friend Todd (aka "Duckboy" on other forums).
We were heading to a place that produces puddlers even when the area is seemingly devoid of them.(as we later saw, that is the exact conditions we encountered) I hadn't hunted this spot before but, had heard many stories over the years from Todd and my son.
As we drove to our destination, I had to fight the thought of how the weather just didn't seem "ducky" enough to impress our guest Buford. It was pretty warm and, for the most part, fairly dry. When we neared the launched site, things changed and a coastal drizzle began.
We set off in the dark with every light we had onboard turned on and swinging in search of old pilings and remnants of piers trying to keep us from our chosen spot. Todd's old "pound" hound Alex even seemed to be watching out as he hung over the gunwales of the Duckbomber, looking off in the darkness ahead.
As we arrived and began the ritual of throwing blocks, I questioned my good friend Todd a little about the amount of water(rather lack of) and the abundance of sandy beach. He assured me we'd be lucky to get an hour out of this spot before moving up to the next set, as he pointed over 100 yards up the beach to the grass sand dunes. We finished the setup and had 20 minutes to spare for coffee and BSing. We could've shot half a limit in those 20 minutes, if shooting light were earlier.
Right at shooting light I had to spring up and move our wind duck and pull Buford in a little closer. The tide was rising fast and we wouldn't get a full hour before having to move.
It was a 30 minute Mallard shoot before we couldn't stand to lay in the flooding flat and had to move and reset the blocks.
Only a few more puddlers flew after our move and then it was like they turned off the duck machine in a second.
after a while a Buford had a girlfriend show up for a visit. Now, we don't usually shoot hen buffies but, she was driving Alex crazy and after leaving once she returned again to tease the dog or so it seemed. That's when my sister said "enough is enough" BOOM!
After a couple very long hours, I took Buford away down the beach and gave him a toss into the tide and layed on the ground. I decided to see if he could attract a some more buffiie chicks. Yes he did and so I felt obligated to take them home with us for company for Buford of course.
We decided we'd hung around long enough and picked up.
We ended the day with 5 mallards and 3 new girlfriends for Buford.
It wasn't until later that I realized there weren't any pics of Buford in the spread. Oh well, I guess I'll have to make another trip out before I send him on his way. :biggrin:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Re: Buford Bufffington, his travels continue...

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:27 pm

Haha nice story. Bufford made a few friends thats funny. Is it possible the one on the left is an immature drake? It looks like he is bigger and has some pink to his feet. OH NO is Bufford gay?
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:11 pm

Nice pics QH, glad you had a decent hunt over him, good luck on the next hunt. cc
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:17 pm

Nice! :thumbsup:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Return to Diver Duck Hunting