Herters

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Herters

Postby Deadeye_youth » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:28 pm

I was thinking about buying 2 doz of the black and white herters that you paint yourself but i was wondering what type of paint would stick to em?
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:09 pm

good latex house paint
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Deadeye_youth » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:10 pm

alright thanks
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Herters

Postby Dep666 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:08 pm

Bro the best advice i can give you about paint is buy the stuff that dries dull. I am kind of anal about my dekes and I absolutley want to die when I see these nice plastic flambeaus and carrrylits with beautiful paint jobs. The only problem is that Leonardo Davinci painted them with glossy spray paint or latex. That shine is like a becon to ducks that says " Hey there is a hunter over here". Anyway just my deranged ramblings about decoy paint....Good luck
Dep666
hunter

Postby Cobra » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:15 pm

Wash them good, then use Kilz II to prime.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:56 am

Good advice so far......the heads of course are plastic, so their preparation is very important....I always wash with acetone, flash with the torch and then apply plastic primer before application of acrylics. An option you mat wish to consider are basswood heads from Autumn Wings. They are so much better than Herter's heads, will last alot longer, have varied poses etc. of course, they cost a bit more (approx $55/doz shipped).

As far as the bodies......why not burlap them and make them last forever!!!!? Paint will adhere superbly and have lot's of durability. Follow the sticky on foamers at the top of the forum.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum