What did we do wrong?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

What did we do wrong?

Postby bigbuck270 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:00 am

3 of us hunted a cut corn field for the first time ever. We started hunting ducks this year and we have only hunted water until last weekend.

We setup on a cut-corn field. We built a brush and grass blind in one corner of the field. There was tall brush and short trees (about 15 feet high) bordering the field. We had 3 dozen duck floaters, Canada geese floaters, 12 goose shells and 12 goose silos laid out in the corn. We also had one Mojo setup with the other dekes. We suspected that Mojo was the trouble so we pulled it for awhile and did worse, so we put him back. All decoys were within 25 yards of the blind. The ducks and geese were pretty much separated from each other in the spread.

We had lots of ducks come in to the spread, anywhere from 1 lone duck to 50 at a time. Most flocks would come down and circle 6-8 times without landing. Many times they would cup their wings and be coming straight in to us looking as if they were going to land, but just before coming in close enough for a shot, they would continue to fly and circle some more. They did not flare, they would just continue flying. There was no wind at all, not a whisper of a breeze.

We are very confident that the birds did not see us in the blind. We were completely hidden and we did not move at all until shooting. Nothing was shining. I am sure that the problem was something to do with being to near the brush and trees, or something to do with our decoys.

Would it have been better if we had setup out in the center of the field with layout blinds? Maybe they were afraid of landing so close to the brush/trees.(?)

So why didn't they fully commit and land or come in closer? I realize that it is hard to give advise because you weren't there, but we are very new to this and we need your opinions.

Thanks
bigbuck270
hunter

Re: What did we do wrong?

Postby cam liden » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:08 am

i used to have that same problem before i bought a layout blind. Ducks and geese usually do not like to land to close to field edges or woods. They are too susceptible to predators that way. Always try to set up in the exact spot that you saw them when scouting, which, for me anyway, is usually more in the center of the field. If you dont have layout blinds, you can get one of those beach lawn chairs and camo it and then throw some stubble on top of it. You can get some of them to come in close enough on the edge of a field, but i think that was your problem.
cam liden
hunter

Postby Mainehunt » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:52 am

cam liden wrote:i used to have that same problem before i bought a layout blind. Ducks and geese usually do not like to land to close to field edges or woods. They are too susceptible to predators that way. Always try to set up in the exact spot that you saw them when scouting, which, for me anyway, is usually more in the center of the field. If you dont have layout blinds, you can get one of those beach lawn chairs and camo it and then throw some stubble on top of it. You can get some of them to come in close enough on the edge of a field, but i think that was your problem.

This is what I suspected.

Anybody else?
Mainehunt
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:06 pm

I agree with the other two, When scouting its very rare to see ducks or geese in the corner of some field next to a wooded area, they are usually in the center. When the chance to use layout blinds is there and you can set up away from the woods or field edges go for it. Sounds like a good spot if you didnt burn 'em out try it with the layout blinds. good luck
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:05 pm

I think getting away from the field edge would only solve half the problem. You said the ducks circled, sometimes several times, before losing interest and flying off. My guess is they saw your floater decoys all sitting there, not moving, not in feeding posture, some probably tilted to one side, and knew something wasent right. Floaters are for water, field dekes are for fields. Take up a collection with your buddies and pick up some field decoys. I think you will do much better.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:19 pm

it could of not even been you i mean they could of been looking and looking and looking but just decided not to land, now i agree with the other two also the field edge will solve alot of a problem,
"mmm nothing beat's a glass of hot Dickens Cider"
Booney3721
hunter

Postby Mainiac » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:32 am

Either get yourself a layout blind or spend some time in your scouting searching for the entrance point of the field.Ducks but more I think geese,tend to enter a field from the same area each time.By setting up your spread here you'll be in the flight path of most of the birds.
As for circling ducks I too agree it was because of you're proximity to the tree line.To fix that without going to layout blinds you need to set your decoys out at 40 yards.Leave a large landing area in the middle of your dekes.This gives the ducks room to circle in range while their concentration is away from your blind site.I always use some type of motion decoy too.Mojos are great but often windsock decoys work better.
Also try not to call when the ducks are directly over you.their hearing is very good.They can pinpoint your location by your calling.
Mainiac
hunter

Postby Mainehunt » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:02 am

Mainiac wrote:Either get yourself a layout blind or spend some time in your scouting searching for the entrance point of the field.Ducks but more I think geese,tend to enter a field from the same area each time.By setting up your spread here you'll be in the flight path of most of the birds.
As for circling ducks I too agree it was because of you're proximity to the tree line.To fix that without going to layout blinds you need to set your decoys out at 40 yards.Leave a large landing area in the middle of your dekes.This gives the ducks room to circle in range while their concentration is away from your blind site.I always use some type of motion decoy too.Mojos are great but often windsock decoys work better.
Also try not to call when the ducks are directly over you.their hearing is very good.They can pinpoint your location by your calling.

We all 3 of us bought a lay-out blind in the past week. So next year they will be surprised! :thumbsup:
Mainehunt
hunter

Postby jtfullop » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:39 pm

the key to your problem is no WIND.... tough to land ducks in the field with no wind.......
jtfullop
Newb

Postby klist » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:54 pm

thy some movement...and i dont mean a mojo

try a jerk string, get some slight movement in the dekes

it will help a crap ton
klist
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:50 am

I would love to see a jerk string on field deeks :yes:
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:05 am

i have wasted so much time by hunting a "text book goose field". what i mean is a HUGE cut corn field. by an interstate no trees in the middle. woods on the back side of it. there was an old barn on the property. the people i hunted with wanted to set up in the barn. and i said......there is no way we are going to get a goose even work us. i was wrong. we had stuff work us. but they would do the same thing. they would circle come out front lock up and come straight for us, and about the time they was about to get shot they would circle again. it sounds dumb, but we almost got us a goose out of the barn. get layouts. i didnt have one this year, so i did alot of hunting out of a permanent ground blind. to hunt big corn fields, i think it is almost a must to have a layout blind.

good luck.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:12 pm

Don't mean to interject on the layout blind part of this topic, but you don't have to have a layout to field hunt. Save yourself at least 100 bucks and go get some burlap, a couple cans of camo spray paint and some twine. Dust the burlap with the camo paint and then there are several different ways to go about brushing it in. You can cut 2 holes side by side on the burlap so you can shove vegetation through the holes and it will hold. You can tie loops with string and put it in there or in your instance just tie corn or milo stalks to the burlap and roll it up. It makes for a good hide if you can keep your buddies still. I own all of the above (layout blinds, and several different assortments of burlap. :thumbsup:
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:29 pm

fishfurlife wrote:Don't mean to interject on the layout blind part of this topic, but you don't have to have a layout to field hunt. Save yourself at least 100 bucks and go get some burlap, a couple cans of camo spray paint and some twine. :thumbsup:

....... :yes: :yes:
cam liden wrote:i Ducks and geese usually do not like to land to close to field edges or woods. They are too susceptible to predators that way.

.......Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!!,... :yes:...... :thumbsup:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby higgin1225 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:04 pm

I agree with all of the above. We have found that especially later in the season instead of putting your layouts in the traditional wind at your back, edge of spread locations, we move the blinds off to one side where the ducks are crossing right to left into the hole. Now they are looking at your decoys, mojo's etc. instead of the layout blinds.
higgin1225
hunter

Postby mungojeerie » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:10 am

This is my first year hunting waterfowl, I hunted either in the marsh or on the river 90% of the times I went out, I had the opportunity to join ppl on private land a few times.

The first few fields I hunted no prob getting ducks to decoy into old decoys coated in so much mud you couldnt see any paint or detail all sitting half cocked sideways and only 20 yds from the tree line, but this was evening hunts, only thee last hour or two of shooting time.

The last 2 times I got out hunting this season were in the morning and afternoon on a different field that had a large puddle over a foot deep. We were set up 20 yds away in the blackberries on the fence line. In the morning early light birds would drop right in without hesitation. In the afternoon... impossible to get them to commit. Mainly mallards and flocks of wigeon. We were well hidden, that was not the problem. we tried changing our spread, everything from 3 - 18 floaters in different configurations, mojo mallard out, mojo mallard in etc.. nothing changed they would just circle and then fly away. Mallards would circle 3 or 4 times... wigeon would circle 7 or 8...

I am convinced that it was lack of movement in the water. For next season I plan on having 2 of the edge expedite quiver butt feeders...
mungojeerie
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:36 am

higgin1225 wrote:I agree with all of the above. We have found that especially later in the season instead of putting your layouts in the traditional wind at your back, edge of spread locations, we move the blinds off to one side where the ducks are crossing right to left into the hole. Now they are looking at your decoys, mojo's etc. instead of the layout blinds.

good idea man. i think i may have something to try out next year!
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby got_wings?_BOOM » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:56 pm

i had this problem in a corn field that was slightly flooded (maybe an inch or 2). we were setup in the trees. ducks would circle but no comitment. i had two dozen decoys out and decided to pull some out and spread it out. i went down to 8 decoys and a mojo and had groups of 15 backpedalling. maybe spread it open. give those birds room to land.
got_wings?_BOOM
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:20 am

It is my opinion that you did two things wrong.

1. Don't set up by the edge of trees in a corn field.
2. I think you should put your decoys a bit farther from your blind.
2a. The layout blind suggestion is really good!

I pace off 120 feet (from blind) and that's where my furthest duck decoys go. I try to keep the furthest decoys at almost maximum range for my shotgun so I can judge when the ducks are "in the hole" better. I usually throw in a few honker decoys for confidence but don't really expect to call in geese. Sometimes there's a stupid goose but mainly the goose decoys are just big duck decoys to me.

It really sounds like the birds were really nervous about the trees and then took extra time looking the setup over and spotted some movement from your hunting party.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby duckbuddy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:51 pm

You did nothing wrong, you said the mojo was going out, maybe it was spinning awkwardly. I think we are too used to calling ducks on water that we dont know how to call ducks in fields. Call them all the way in like geese?
The only thing I could see wrong is too much floaters, like mentioned earlier, could have been a tipper. If you cant get field duck decoys, leave your floaters at home and bring out more mojos and more field geese (4 doz geese, 4 mojos). Ducks will come to geese, not the other way usually.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:42 am

like eveybody has said with where you hid, but i think you could have defintitly had your decoys too close together

but of course i am one to sread my decoys far apart
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:37 pm

Did you scout the ducks. I doubt they were near the corner near the big tall trees.
There is nothing wrong with your bush blind. I used one for 15 years take a look at my avator. You can BS alot there and only have on person look and its easier to pick your shots not double up on one bird.
Perhaps you should have set up in the miidle of the corn field if they were scouted being there.. the X
If you are not near the X and in the corner you will get passers by.
You can prop up your floaters,maybe they tipped over
The mojo is great and you should call them in as mentioned by another member
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Field Duck Hunting