Geese Numbers?

If sea duck hunting is your specialty, then share your thoughts on Rhode Island duck hunting with others.

Moderator: TheSwamper

Geese Numbers?

Postby R.I. Red » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:09 pm

There is a severe lack of Canadas over here in the Tiverton/Little Compton area? Is this the case in other parts of the state? We've been able to scratch out a handful here and there, but the numbers are not large for this time of year. I keep hoping that the cold will push them down but then I remember some lean years in the past. What do you see in other places?

George
R.I. Red
hunter

Re: Geese Numbers?

Postby rifleman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:00 pm

:thumbsup: After the ceremonies on the Battleship Monday, I scouted those areas. I saw 100's of geese on the Hataway Farm on Sepowet Ave. but couldn't find them anywhere else. There are lots of divers around and I also saw quite a few flocks of bluebills in the res. (scaup). Puddle duxks were non-existant, other than the few blacks that are always there till ice in. So far it is not looking good this year, but that could be changing with the weather. I will be hunting tomorrow and Sunday and I'll post what I see. Saturday I'll be at SSMA.
USN Retired
NRA Life
Somerset Sportsman Club
East Warren Rod and Gun
rifleman
hunter

Postby R.I. Red » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:16 pm

Thanks for the update Rifleman. Those Hathaway birds stay there all year with an occasional flight across the street in another unhuntable area. Good luck this weekend.

George
R.I. Red
hunter

Postby Jred » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:59 am

I haven't seen the number of birds that I saw this time last year, but the weather has been a lot milder too. I don't think the migration has really started yet. With this cold weather we have showing up, I think we will start seeing flight birds soon.

I have killed a few birds this year, mostly all down in the south shore area though. I have not seen many birds over in the Tiverton area.
The function of the Navy is to take the fight to the enemy so that it will not be fought on our soil.

-FADM Chester Nimitz
Jred
hunter

Postby Jred » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:23 am

So much for my good run on geese this year...got skunked at SSMA yesterday...saw plenty of ducks and a few geese, but nothing wanted to commit in...gotta love bluebird days!
The function of the Navy is to take the fight to the enemy so that it will not be fought on our soil.

-FADM Chester Nimitz
Jred
hunter

Postby rifleman » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:52 am

:huh: To date, I would say this has been the worst waterfowl season I've seen in my 40 years of hunting them. Hate to say it but I can't think of a time like this. I know we have been blaming it on the warm November, but the weather has changed and stiil nada. Just looking at the reports you can see that it is not just my problem. Maybe with the shotgun deer season closing we'll see more reports.

Hopefully this wiil change! I will still be out there just as much from here going forward.

This past week, I saw several large flocks of canadas up high passing through, but not much else.
USN Retired
NRA Life
Somerset Sportsman Club
East Warren Rod and Gun
rifleman
hunter

Postby Jred » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:27 pm

I've been watching the reports for the states north of us and they are just now starting to report migrators showing up. Our turn will be soon, and I think it has everything to do with the mild weather to date. Why would the birds start to migrate if there is water to loaf on and food to eat? I think they, just like everything else in nature, subscribe to the thought of work smarter not harder.

What I am afraid of is our weather turned so rapidly and our waters froze up so quickly that anything migrating south might just continue on and not stop to give us a look.

-FADM Chester Nimitz
Jred
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:39 pm

Like JRED said, the birds are arriving, My buddy's clients took 5 banded birds last week on the Cape, all from Quebec and NewFoundland. Hopefully the ice holds off for a while.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Rhode Island Duck Hunting