How far do you lead targets?

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Re: How far do you lead targets?

Postby jo mcrow » Mon May 17, 2010 8:40 pm

SKEET
This is A Game not a place to practice for hunting.
Find a sporting clay range and practise for hunting!!! Five stand is a decent alternative to sporting !
The best thing you can do to improve is continue to shoot and have fun even if it is SKEET :smile:
Jo Mcrow
jo mcrow
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:33 am

jo mcrow wrote:SKEET
This is A Game not a place to practice for hunting.
Find a sporting clay range and practise for hunting!!! Five stand is a decent alternative to sporting !
The best thing you can do to improve is continue to shoot and have fun even if it is SKEET :smile:
Jo Mcrow

Just for the record, Skeet was invented by Charles Davies in the 1920's who was an avid grouse hunter. He was from Andover Massachusetts and had an idea for improving field hunting accuracy. In fact, the early stages of the sport involved live pigeons and then evolved to clay targets. So I think that saying Skeet is not good to practice hunting is inaccurate based on the historical facts of how Skeet came to be. :huh:

I do think that sporting clays and 5 stand offer a more challenging target in regards to hunting, but both games were born from Skeet. This is kind of an old thread but I couldn't resist to correct the above statement.
kjm1022
hunter

Postby jo mcrow » Tue May 18, 2010 3:05 pm

SKEET
This game shot with the gun up will only make you a better skeet shot!! The game as he invented was great practice for grouse shooting! This is not the game they shoot today. Skeet shooting gun down will help you become a better short yardage shooter but will never develop you into great game shot!! Try all of the shotgun sports and you will become a better shot!!

My favorite target game is FITASC!
Jo Mcrow
SPORTING CLAY HAS BEEN SHOT IN ENGLAND FOR OVER A HUNDRED YEARS! DEVELOPED BY THE POOR WHO COULD NOT AFFORD THE HIGH PRICE OF THE DRIVEN SHOOTS.
jo mcrow
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:50 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I need a Molson...eh!
kjm1022
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue May 18, 2010 6:05 pm

There is a lot of difference from the normal day stances and how you must hold the gun in the "Olympic" style.

It would be very interresting if the Oly was made the "Standard stance" in offical shoots..................but then the old records , would not mean anything,anymore.

Sure would stir things up !! No more, just pull the trigger !! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby augerin » Thu May 20, 2010 6:16 am

SKEET
This game shot with the gun up will only make you a better skeet shot!! The game as he invented was great practice for grouse shooting! This is not the game they shoot today. Skeet shooting gun down will help you become a better short yardage shooter but will never develop you into great game shot!! Try all of the shotgun sports and you will become a better shot!!

Jo Mcrow
SPORTING CLAY HAS BEEN SHOT IN ENGLAND FOR OVER A HUNDRED YEARS! DEVELOPED BY THE POOR WHO COULD NOT AFFORD THE HIGH PRICE OF THE DRIVEN SHOOTS.

When I read this I'm thinking..."another shooting Elitist "

Anytime a person Practices clay target games, then end result will always be a better shooter.
augerin
hunter

Postby jo mcrow » Thu May 20, 2010 7:48 pm

augerin
Anytime a person practices clay target games,the end result will be a better shooter.
Try all the shotgun sports and you will become a better shot!!
Looks like we are both shooting Elitist!
Jo Mcrow
jo mcrow
hunter

Postby augerin » Fri May 21, 2010 6:47 am

You missed the point totally, He asked about target lead not what you think he should shoot. If doehunter learns to see the proper lead from shooting clay target games, this will serve him well while hunting. Skeet is a good game for practing crossing targets. Maybe Skeet was to hard for you, or you didn't master the concept of lead? Could be why your steering him away from it.
Last edited by augerin on Fri May 21, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
augerin
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:53 am

augerin wrote:
SKEET

Jo Mcrow

When I read this I'm thinking..."another shooting Elitist "

Anytime a person Practices clay target games, then end result will always be a better shooter.

^^^^^^^Totally agree with this. This thread is getting way off the original post.
kjm1022
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:57 pm

I'm with Apex and Waterfowlhunter,..although the principle is the same with follow thru and leading a target,..BIG difference in HOW MUCH to lead when you get into the field. The High and the Low house on a skeet range remain the same distance from you, and are thrown the same speed,..unlike a Bufflehead battin' it 40yds. away with a stiff Northwest wind on his arse flyin' on an angle :yes:

The best way I found 30yrs. ago for me was to get it into the field. I had the luxury of shooting out of a Big Duckblind,.. dang near 15ft. out of the water. We shot mostly diving ducks out of it and when you shot you could SEE exactly where you were shooting whether ahead of the target, too low, too high, or behind because you were shooting somewhat downward ,..and I second what someone said about "most folks shoot behind a target"..this is sooo true. The only time I've ever shot in front of a target was when we started using steel,...-it came out a little faster than lead, and it took a little adjustment.

I'd say once you break a few clays and get to where you are at least 10- 12 out of 25,.. and get the principles of leading and following thru on a shot in your head,..take into the field and shoot some over water with a friend if possible, with a hand held skeet thrower...you'll see more of what you are doing... Very difficult (impossible) to tell someone how much to lead a target,..too many variables.. I know I've never thought to myself, "o.k. I need to lead him 4ft at least",..it just comes in time after you shoot for a while how much... :beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jo mcrow » Fri May 28, 2010 6:14 am

Great Advice!! :grooving:
Jo Mcrow
jo mcrow
hunter

Postby huntman » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:00 pm

my coaches told me that at #1 there is no lead shoot the bottom of the target number 2 has 1ft and 3 has 2ft and 4 has 3ft. and then u work back down.
It really all depends on where u r tryin to bust the target bc the speed is not the same wen it is fixin to hit the ground as it was wen it left the house. Those r just some numbers that u can work with. it helped me at state
Head down, Eye on the target
huntman
hunter

Previous

Return to Target Shooting