Please help!

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Please help!

Postby teampillowfight » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:21 am

I have a couple private ponds that I want to spice up by adding a little more food for the ducks. I have the same situation on all of them:

Every summer the water level goes down and exposes anywhere from 10 to 25 feet of bank that is normally under water. This area still stay pretty moist through the summer. When fall rolls around and winter hits, the water level comes back up into where it originally was, covering the vegitation that grew there.

In the summer when the water is down, i would like to plant that 10-25 feet area and also would like to plant from the water edge down about 5 feet in the water. The banks stay moist enough that i can't get equipment in the disk or plant, i will just simply have to had broadcast. The water stays shallow in this area, pretty much 1' 6" for about 25 feet or so. I would like to plant millet and rice.

My questions are:

What is best to plant?

When is the best time to plant it?

Will throwing it by hand work?

Where the water is shallow, like 1 foot or so, can I throw seed in the water and will it grow?

Thanks so much guys!

Team Pillow Fight
Ducks are die'n and feathers are fly'n - Team Pillow Fight
teampillowfight
hunter

Re: Please help!

Postby Buffler » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:21 pm

Not an expert but have planted wetlands before with results...
Don't broadcast seed on open water. You will have very little success rate. Plant your area in late spring as soon as the water draws down. Disturb the planting surface before broadcasting seed. Make sure the millet you are planting is a wetland variety and the wild rice also sounds like a good idea. Consult with a local wetland nursery for seed mixes that they mave have on hand. Be sure to explain that this area seasonally floods and is being used to promte waterfowl. A seed mix with the grasses you mentioned and some sedges (Carex, Scirpus, and Eleocharis) and polygonum species will enhance your success rate by diversifying your effort. Not all wetland species can survive prolonged flooding so consulting with a local expert will increase your chances at success. In addition, supplement your planting effort with some Potamogeton species plugs at the edge or half submerged in the water during the draw down. Don't use hydroseeding or a heavy mulch to protect the seed because quite a few wetland plants need the sun to germinate.
Ahhh crap.
Buffler
hunter

Postby Calibogue » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:09 pm

Stick with Jap. millett and plant on bare, exposed mud in late summer.
Will grow well without fertilizer in most situations but you may need to add some.
When water rises, the Jap. will grow right on up with the rising water level.
Calibogue
hunter

Postby Ishootbitches » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:43 pm

not an expert but rice sounds like a good plant to grow. needs to be flooded and it sounds like thats what it will get. if you want to do a plant and not a cash crop then you need to remember that some wetland plants like alot of exposer to dryness and some like to be underwater alot so you will need to keep that in mind.

but imo i would go with rice that would be easy and take care of itsself. just remember that you can not minupulate the crop for hunting. so i would look at hunting regulations in your state.

good luck.
Ishootbitches
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology