Tips for Getting daughter to hunt?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, LadyK, NorCal Cazadora

Tips for Getting daughter to hunt?

Postby mandrakeduck » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:39 pm

My daughter Katie is 12. She says she doesn't like guns and does not want to hunt. She has never been hunting. Here older brother and I do a lot of pheasant hunting... and now starting on water fowl.

We have an old Stevens double barrel 20 gauge she could use... or she coudl carry my SKB 20 gauge Auto.

I would appreciate any suggestions you all have for persuading her to go hunting.
mandrakeduck
hunter

Re: Tips for Getting daughter to hunt?

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:13 pm

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make'm drink. If she wants to go them let her make the decision. You could just ask her to go once and if she doesn't like it then she doesn't have to come anymore. If you have a dog then you could let her work the dog :biggrin:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ugotnobrains » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:08 pm

{Removed by Admin}
ugotnobrains
Newb

Postby steelslinger » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:23 pm

LaRedneck wrote:You can lead a horse to water but you can't make'm drink. If she wants to go them let her make the decision. You could just ask her to go once and if she doesn't like it then she doesn't have to come anymore. If you have a dog then you could let her work the dog :biggrin:

I agree with the first two sentences, if she don't want to go the worst thing you can do is try to force it on her. Some people just don't get into the hunting thing. Maybe you can try some reverse psychology. When you and the boy come back in and are really hooting and hollering about how great it was and what a great time you had hunting and then having breakfast together, maybe she will reconsider. I would not imply to her in any way that she should go hunting or that you would like her to. Let her make the decision.
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Postby fwlgrl24 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:18 pm

I checked this post seeing that I havent seen many girls frequent the site. So I figured Id put my two cents in.

First off... to ugotnobrains... you probably have no brains. Im willing to put money on the fact that you dont have a girlfriend, and if you do, I am probably better looking than her. So your stereotype of girls that hunt is idiotic. Oh and by the way, im in college with a 3.8 GPA... if that isnt too smart to hunt you have unbelievable standards, and again, probably dont have a girlfriend.

That being said, Ive been stressed because of exams and needed to go off on someone, so thank you, but I could also give a rats ass about what you think girls that hunt look like.

ANYWAY... I really don't remember exactly how I got into hunting with my dad and older brother since it was quite a few seasons ago. I do know that I had wanted to go with them since I was very, very little. Being outdoors was a family event and when we went out to the range, my mom usually tagged along, or when we went to work the dog, so I didnt have a choice to stay home, but shooting, being good at it, and seeing my dad as excited as he was when I wanted to shoot and go hunting fueled my desire to go. Now that I look back, I am very close with my brother and wanted to do everything he was doing when I was younger, and Im a Daddy's girl, so for me its the time I get to spend with my Dad and brother that got me into it (now im the one begging my dad on a friday night to go in the mornin and hunting with friends on the weekends he wont :yes: )

So... this is how I got introduced to duck hunting, and this is how I introduced my two young cousins into hunting. I went hunting with my Dad and brother for 2 seasons before carrying a gun. I got up with them, geared up, helped as much as I could at the ramp, and even learned how to drive a boat while on the way to our huntin spots. While they were actually hunting my Dad was continuously teaching me things. When we would put out decoys, he would teach me different spreads and when to use each of them. When the sun came up, we always talked about how beautiful the sunrise is on the water and how calm and relaxing it is to be out there at that time of day. When they saw ducks he taught me how to identify them and judge how far away they were, as well as tell if they were hellbent on a path or if we could call them in. When they shot ducks, he would show me how to train our duck dog with them while they picked up decoys. During the summer of these two years, I went to a shootin range with my Dad, learning how to lead ducks as well as other fowl we hunt, and how to safely handle firearms in general. I also learned how to train our dog and worked her throughout the year, which kept my mind on huntin. Make sure she is completely confident handling a gun, and has one that she can comfortably shoot (she is a 12 year old girl... if a gun kills her shoulder every time she shoots, she isnt going to do it). If she does decide she wants to hunt, ease her into it. Take her in the afternoon so she isnt tired and grumpy. If the ducks come in, dont start blazing with your son... give her the shot. Eventually, if she enjoys it, she will look forward to going and spending time with you and your son, being outdoors, and even turn shooting into a competition with yall, which always happens. Now, there is something that could kill the moment. If she shoots a duck and it isnt a clean kill... take care of it yourself. It took me 3 seasons to man up a ring a ducks neck or shoot it while it was injured on the water, and seeing a duck flap around without a head for 5 minutes could ruin it for her. Im gonna stop cuz Ive already written a book...But keep in mind, I already had a desire to go, long before I actually went, so if she is just not interested, dont push her, just find other hobbies you two can do together and enjoy. GOOD LUCK!!! And I know you want to share this experience with your daughter, and I think its GREAT you're trying to get her into hunting. I rarely, rarely see girls hunting so this made my day and I wish you the best of luck.

Im not just saying this from my personal experience... my uncle who is a die-hard hunter like my dad, had two little girls. Luckily when they were old enough to go huntin, I was old enough to go with them. It seemed to really help having another girl they were very comfortable with going, and seeing that she wasnt much different from every other girl just because she hunts. I know when I was your daughters age, I never told any of my friends I hunted because generally its something girls just dont do, and some girls think if they hunt people will think they are "butch". That being said, half my wardrobe now is camo or DU, avery, browning, etc clothes, but you still see me in dresses in the summer. For my cousins, I took them in the afternoons and the first few times, I didnt even take a gun, we just went to watch the wildlife (I actually started them with sittin in the stand deer huntin because it was more comfortable for them, then again they were younger than your daughter). Now they call me and ask if Im goin huntin, and I love seeing those girls sleepy-headed in their camo out huntin with their Daddy.
You have been banned for the following reason:
nasty duck hunter

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
fwlgrl24
hunter

Postby Naturegirl » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:57 pm

Honestly I hope 12 isn't too late. My 14yo daughter won't have anything to do with hunting. I personally hated the thought of hunting until a few years ago. Let me correct myself I hated the thought of me killing anything until I was about 33ish. I love being outdoors, hiking, seeing wildlife, and always have. That love I have for the outdoors and wanting to spend quality time with my husband is why I went with him all those years since I met him in 2000 and eventually I just decided on my own with some encouragment from hubby to take a gun along for myself. Well for a season I hiked around quail hunting holding a gun I never shot. Same carried on into duck. Then one day the next season I finally decided to shoot a dove and that was it. I was hooked.

I think you can start off by taking her outdoors if you don't already. Go hiking, fishing, camping. If you think she likes that, then have her tag along on a hunting trip. Now I can agree and disagree with forcing a child to go with you. You can't force anyone to hunt and you shouldn't, but my 14 yo daughter is just a plain pain in the butt teenager who never wants to go anywhere. So I make her go hiking, camping, fishing and once she is out there she has a great time and loves rubbing it in when she catches more fish than me. The problem is just getting her out of the house or away from computers, phones, friends, etc. I also think some good daddy/daughter time minus your son could help the situation too. When it warms up a little I'm going to take my 14yo on a quad trip just me and her. I may never get her to hunt but at least hopefully she'll have some fun outdoors and some good quality time together.

Also to anyone who wants their children/spouses to hunt I would strongly suggest giving them all possible opportunities to shoot before yourself during the learning curve. You don't want them to get discouraged.

Hope this helps.
Naturegirl
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:09 am

I've got two daughters 26&28 that hunt.Start with informal plinking for fun.Use a airgun to start (no noise or recoil)then a .410.Squirrel is a great first animal.The weather is good,and its easy.From there its easy they're either hooked or they know its not for them.My youngest stuck with it,the oldest didn't go again for 5 years,now she even has her own lab and hunts as much as her sister.Oh yea and for the idiot poster we're talking Prom Queen ,and National Honor sociaty.Out of your league.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Quackity Gal » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:37 pm

Hi Mike!

I love the idea that you want to get your daughter interested in hunting, and just spending time with her. If she's not already shown an interest, the ideas presented below are pretty sound. Remember, don't make her hunt if she's not interested. Taking her out to the range to get used to firearms can also be a good way to start.

If you know of any women that hunt, introduce your daughter to them. It might help her feel more confident knowing that there are other women that enjoy hunting, and be less intimidating for her.

Good luck!
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:22 pm

years ago my daughter asked for a pellet gun for christmas. She has yet to shoot it. She has some social "girls don't do that stuff" issues with guns and is still apprehensive about them. I have taken the time this winter to explain to her that for her own personal safety she needs to learn about guns and how to use them. Too many kids with no gun safety knowledge have access to them kill themselves or their friends. She does accept this idea and is willing to learn basic gun safety.

My daughter has been out of doors her whole life fishing and camping with me or her mom and her mom's boyfriends. She has gone duck hunting several times, but there is also some kind of issue with her being cold, or the boat having issues or something, so we don't stay out long enough to take anything. She thinks those times are pretty cool though and looks forward to going again. And now we have a young dog that she loves, so she is even more likely to want to go and watch the dog. She has a lot of empathy for animals and that may prevent her from every hunting or getting serious about fishing. She thinks fish are OK to kill and eat so she finds those trips much more fun but an hour of slamming pinks is enough. .

If people are not interested in an activity they are not going to enjoy it. It would take several GI duffle bags of cash to get me to watch a baseball or basketball game.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:17 pm

fwlgrl24 wrote:First off... to ugotnobrains... you probably have no brains. Im willing to put money on the fact that you dont have a girlfriend, and if you do, I am probably better looking than her. So your stereotype of girls that hunt is idiotic. Oh and by the way, im in college with a 3.8 GPA... if that isnt too smart to hunt you have unbelievable standards, and again, probably dont have a girlfriend

if your better looking lets see a pic :clapping:
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby fwlgrl24 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:25 pm

canbakchaser wrote:
fwlgrl24 wrote:First off... to ugotnobrains... you probably have no brains. Im willing to put money on the fact that you dont have a girlfriend, and if you do, I am probably better looking than her. So your stereotype of girls that hunt is idiotic. Oh and by the way, im in college with a 3.8 GPA... if that isnt too smart to hunt you have unbelievable standards, and again, probably dont have a girlfriend

if your better looking lets see a pic :clapping:

yeah... my self esteem is so low i need reassurance of my looks by guys on an internet chat forum. nice try :hi:
You have been banned for the following reason:
nasty duck hunter

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
fwlgrl24
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:50 pm

im kidding im not some 49 year old sicko tryin to get some pix im 15
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby duckslayer727 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:59 pm

My daughter is 5, gonna be six in May. i started her on the path to hunting a long time ago. She used to sit next to me a snuggle up on the couch while a buddy and me watched duck hunting videos. hearing her say "Nice shot!!!" after seeing some of the Zink boys nail some geese was music to my ears!!!! Having said that, she is still a girl, so she has since "decided" to "not be a hunter girl". I am not gonna panic, cause I still have my ace in the hole. The local Wholesale Sports has a pink .22 rifle. I am gonna get one and we are gonna shoot stuff, she WILL learn about firearm safety, as I own guns I want all my children to learn about it, I feel it is the duty and responsibility of every parent that owns firearms to teach thier children about safety. In fact every parent should teach their children about it anyway. But I know that if I can get her to shoot and have fun with it, she'll be in a duck blind in no time, or maybe never. I will find a way to spend time with her anyway, if she doesn't want to duck hunt, then maybe we can just shoot together. If not that, then maybe I can learn to sew or something else "girlie". It won't matter to me, we'll find something to do together. But I am sure that she'll hunt, at least I hope so, I am not too sure about how good my sewing would be.......... :lol:
Why does work always get in the way of hunting?
duckslayer727
hunter

Postby Naturegirl » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:33 am

update on my 14 year old daughter who said she would NEVER (and I mean NEVER) hunt. We were out camping a couple weeks ago and we went quail hunting. First we took her to a spot and let her shoot the 20 gauge, which she loved. She has been around guns and been shooting since she was very small.

Anyhow, somehow we got her to go scouting and quail hunting. I will say quail isn't the best thing to start anyone off on as it is hard hunting here. We came back empty handed, but she seemed to enjoy it. She especially liked seeing ADdie working as she has never seen the dog hunt. She has said she will go dove hunting when it opens in September. That is a much funner way to start a kid with something that is plentiful.

All hope is not lost for my kiddo. We will see what the fall brings. As with teenagers and anything, if you can just get them out there sometimes thing will fall in place.

As for my baby girl, well she's been hunting with us and scouting countless times already and she is only 1½. Hopefully she'll just grow up loving it and not really know anything else but the hunting way.
Naturegirl
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby Ryd3r » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:29 am

I agree with the others. If she isnt interested dont push it, but dont be afraid to suggest she go with. If she does decide to go make it a safe atmosphere. Maybe just you and her, spend some daughter/daddy time and make it a comfortable atomosphere for her. As a woman being introduced into the sport later in life, that was my number one thing. I didnt want to go out with "the guys" because I wasnt comfortable around them and I was just learning to shoot, whereas they have been shooting their whole lives. I was so afraid to miss and mess the hunt up. Sounds silly now. But my fiance (who introduced me into the sport) took me out one on one, and we had a great time. This year will be my first goose season because I usually skip it due to "the guys" being my roommate and my future brother in law being "guys." For instance, last year they suggested I couldnt go hunting with them to this particular "glory field" because I didnt scout it first. :rolleyes: Thats like saying they cant go fishing on a lake I found. :huh: Basically make it fun for her, the addiction will come after, even if it takes a while.
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." - Ernest Hemmingway
Ryd3r
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum