Heads up! Migration under way

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Heads up! Migration under way

Postby Admin2 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:38 am

I just received 2 different reports that ducks are on the move in the Northern Plains. There is a high wind front that has been moving through the area since yesterday, and fresh birds are being reported.

I have no idea if this is the big push, or if just a few have decided to migrate. I guess we'll know in the next couple of days time.

If you all have a first hand report of birds coming into a state where you live, how about telling us. :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:18 pm

I saw 50 Canada geese heading south at night. I only see the residents at night and their heading north to their roost. So I think these where migratory geese.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:35 pm

they've been here for about a month now...just hoping they don't leave anytime soon.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:58 pm

thats good. maybe we will do better this weekend.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:25 pm

Here it comes! I hope. Things were getting a lil' stale.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:07 pm

Just watched a video clip from one of the news stations in Kansas City. It was about Lambert International airport that had to shut their radar and have the air traffic controllers take over because of the amount of migrating ducks/geese. Oh yeah!

Next weekend our season opens. I've been pretty bummed because while building the blind all we've seen were a couple hundred gadwall and widgeon each day. This may push some more down. :thumbsup:
Last edited by ol' yeller on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:25 pm

what news station, I would like to see that.
Last edited by Riverjumper on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:27 pm

I'm out of my office right now, but will try to remember to put up the link when I get back.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:36 pm

ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:39 pm

Thats pretty funny :toofunny:
Should be a good weekend!
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:40 pm

From what I heard Chicago had the same problem last week. Bring 'em on! :yes: :yes: :yes:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby quacker_smacker90 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:46 pm

yea my dad and i have been huntin for the last 3 weekends and the only thing we shot was a mallard. :oops: its real windy here now and its susposta snow tomorrow so i have my fingers crossed and hopefully this wekkend will be a good one!!
quacker_smacker90
hunter

Postby flockrockr72 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:30 pm

The ducks are coming down now in NW MN. Went out by Lake of the Woods today, ducks and geese everywhere. Can't hunt until Sat. :thumbsdown:
.....another hen, ah hell, TAKE ER!!
flockrockr72
hunter

Postby duckboy_390 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:37 pm

For surely not a big push, but should still move some birds. It's just to warm up here yet.
Cut that Sucka'-Phil R.
duckboy_390
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:13 pm

Link is not working Caleb

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:28 pm

Admin, not sure why it's not working for you. I just tried it and it loaded fine. The movie should load on the page itself instead of through WMP.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:33 pm

I hear their is some new birds showing up in Northern California. :getdown:

Come on duckies, just a little further SOUTH. :mrgreen:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Fowlercon » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:30 pm

Here you go..................as of 11/10/05

CANADA

From central British Columbia to the northern portions of Quebec it appears that a freeze-up is in store for much of Canada. Though the snowfall potential is limited to scattered areas, the ice out on small to medium sized water bodies will serve to kick the migration through, and out of, Canada back into motion.

Most areas should retain some areas of open water for the next few days, but by early next week it looks as though an ice-out may be in store for large sections of the country. It is prime time in Canada for some last minute hunts. As smaller waters freeze, local waterfowl flocks should begin to merge into staging groups on the remaining open waters and feeding activity on grain fields should intensify.

PACIFIC FLYWAY

Though the weather for the flyway will stay in the seasonal average range, a cold extending down into south central portions of British Columbia should move a noticeable number of new birds down the flyway as the weekend nears.

Reports last week already indicated a small push of new birds throughout the flyway, and the potential for an up-tick in that activity is good with the weather north of the US border making a turn toward the colder end of the spectrum.

CENTRAL FLYWAY

Large numbers of light geese have been moving into, and through the upper flyway over the past several days. While these birds are not sticking around, they do present some prime opportunity for gunning as they move through the area. Scouting will make a huge difference on the success or failure with these fast moving migrant. New flocks of light geese are reported to be stopping over for just a few days before pushing south. Since these birds are not staying long, they are less likely to be under high gunning pressure and somewhat easier to decoy.

Duck numbers have fluctuated widely over the past week in most of the upper flyway. Brief cold snaps, snow showers and strong winds have shifted birds around, while bringing a small influx of new birds in from Canada. As the weather to the north inches toward freeze-up a fresh flight of migrating ducks is expected across the upper flyway, with a shift of birds from the northern states into the central areas of the migration path.

Early migrants have been in good supply along the coastal reaches of the flyway. Redheads, teal, pintail and wigeon are already arriving and their numbers should continue to increase as the weather cools off and fall re-establishes itself across the region.

MISSISSIPPI FLYWAY

After a long pause, it looks like the migration will ramp up again this week for the flyway. Colder weather, both in the northern tier and the southern portions of Canada should increase migration activity and improve general waterfowl activity in areas where local birds have been sluggish due to the warm weather.

Diver numbers on the Great Lakes and along the Mississippi River are rising and new puddle ducks flights are reported across the flyway, though in a more random and scattered pattern.

The overall picture for the flyway is for new birds moving down out of Canada with a shift of birds moving down from northern tier states into central and southern portions of the flyway.

Southern areas, many in dire need of rainfall, are reporting respectable duck and light goose numbers. These concentrations are primarily in areas that have either had recent rainfall or in large areas of flooded agricultural land.

With many duck holes in the region dry as a bone, the strong bird numbers may be a bit of a false positive. While numbers appear good in areas with water, the numbers are a bit skewed by the general lack of water through much of the region.

The good news is, if you can find water, chances are you will find birds. Hunting pressure will be a significant factor until more water becomes available throughout this portion of the flyway.

ATLANTIC FLYWAY

Scattered snowfall and colder weather in the upper flyway should improve hunting for ducks and geese of all variety as the weekend rolls around. Duck and goose numbers have held steady through last week’s warm up and should begin to rise as the seasonal weather returns.

Some influx of new mallards and dark geese is being seen across the northern portions of the flyway and diver and sea duck numbers are building all along the coast.

As the New England states cool down again the general migration along the eastern seaboard should start building again. As usual, smaller puddle and diving ducks will be the first to make the jump southward, but a shift in the more hardy birds, mallards, Canvasbacks and sea ducks should begin as well.

Though the eastern portions of Canada do not look to be in for as strong of a cool down, the upper Great Lakes, where a significant portion of Atlantic Flyway birds come from, is in for a good freeze that should move birds into the Atlantic Flyway.

All across the continent the return of colder weather hold promise for this weekend’s waterfowl hunting. Though this is not likely to be “The Big Push” after swatting mosquitoes and sweating in our blinds, it is a welcome change.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:44 pm

A large portion of western manitoba got hit with a winter storm on monday/tuesday dumping up to 35 cm's (13-14 inches) of snow in some areas. We were spared here in the east and temps have been holding steady around 10 C (50 deg) as a daytime high. We're supposed to be about that for the weekend and then it's supposed to dip to 28 deg for daytime high by monday. Theres still quite a few birds around here but the colder weather coming my way is gonna really start to push em south soon.

Happy hunting southern boys!

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:15 pm

They're heeeerrrreeee!!!!!!! :salude: :salude:
whitefeather
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:21 pm

ACEBLDRS wrote:I hear their is some new birds showing up in Northern California. :getdown:

yeah...those are just the ones we didn't feel like shooting at while they were up here. :thumbsup:
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby kms399 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:49 pm

i went out today and saw a few large flocks of mallards and divers. i hadn't seen that yet this year. not alot but it looks like it should be any day now.
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby choclab » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:37 pm

Swamp Puppy wrote:
ACEBLDRS wrote:I hear their is some new birds showing up in Northern California. :getdown:

yeah...those are just the ones we didn't feel like shooting at while they were up here. :thumbsup:

Ditto to you Swamp. :toofunny: :toofunny: :thumbsup:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:07 pm

hey, hvac

where did you pull that from?

I would like to have a link to check it.

Here in KS we have quite a few Speck geese moving in, local refuge said about 200,000 was out there this morning to see it too! ended up with 4 nice mallards!
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:10 pm

We looked all over the place today to figure where to hunt for the opener tomorrow, did not see a lot of big ducks. Propably 75 grey ducks, and one mallard, but saw hundreds of teal. 7 hours and counting. :getdown:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to The Honey Hole