ACE is out of commission for maybe 4 weeks.

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

ACE is out of commission for maybe 4 weeks.

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:00 pm

Was having a great hunt today. Got a couple of green heads in the morning and then headed over to widgeon hole for the afternoon. My buddy Mike and I were slaying em today, and ACE was all over the retrieves. I shot my 3rd widgeon of the day and ACE headed out for it. ON the way out he stopped and yelped, then continued on for the bird. When he got back and I helped him get up on his stand, I noticed he was bleeding. His right back leg was cut. He had about a 1 1/2 " cut above his paw on the back side of the leg. I took my shirt off and we wrapped his leg up with it to try and stop the bleeding.

We got him to the truck as fast as we could and my buddy Mike grabbed his first aid kit. Thank God he had it. We cleaned the wound out and threw some emt gel in it and then bandaged it up. I headed off to my vets office while placing a call to them letting them know I was on the way and what the situation was. I was really worried that he cut some tendons.

Got him to the vet, and let them do their thing. I just got a call from the vet and he said that a few minor tendons were cut and that he thinks he got them repaired pretty good. Also a lot of muscle was cut. He stiched up a lot of stuff inside the cut and then the outside of it. I am going to pick him up in an hour and a half. He is comming out of the meds right now.

The verdict is that he is going to be OK and should be able to return to the Job of being the best damn retriever around. I just don' t know when that will be. I have to keep him "Quiet" as the vet said for 2 weeks. Basically no running or jumping or anything for 2 weeks. That is going to be hard as hell. After the 2 weeks are up the vet will re evaluate the wound. Then more than likely it will need a couple more weeks to heal up properly.

ACE is only 2 1/2 yrs old. So if he has to set out most of this season, It won't be the end of the world, hard, but not the end. I want him to get heal correctly and then will go get em again.

The widgeon he retrieved was the 50th bird this year that we have gotten together.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Remington1187 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:08 pm

:thumbsdown: That sux........hopefully he heals soon so u both can enjoy the outdoors. :smile: 50th duck of the season......good work! :mrgreen: The best of luck to you and ACE!
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:33 pm

I'm sorry to hear that... I hope he mends quickly!
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby ralphtt » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:40 pm

Man . . . that's rough. But, sounds like you did all the right things and did them in a timely fashion. You'll certainly miss ACE during the next few weeks, but he'll be back in action before you know it.

BTW, how are you and the Xtrema2 getting along?
Ralph
Patron Member NRA
ralphtt
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:44 pm

sorry to hear that, I wish ACE a speedy recovery! way to be prepared. :thumbsup:
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby tstrong » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:44 pm

Sorry to hear about ace.
tstrong
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:01 pm

its good that it sounds like he will be ok though.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JJ McGuire » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:52 am

I am sorry to hear about your pup, I sure hope he recovers quickly and has affect on his abilities.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby bullet » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:47 am

Sorry to hear about Ace ,Josh. Really looking forward to hunting w/ the 2 of you sometime this year. Did you ever figure out the cause of the cut?
bullet
hunter

Postby Penguine » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:09 am

That sucks. Have you been back out since then and tried to find what he got snagged on? Might want to try and find it depending on how deep the water is.

Hope the pooch heals up well.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Brydog » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:37 am

Sorry to hear about Ace. He should be good ta go in 6 weeks. My 7 month old Yellow Lab retrieved his 50th and 51 birds this morning. :getdown:
Good luck to you and Ace.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:49 am

Thanks guys. ACE is doing better this morning. He was pretty much out of it last night. He ate a ton this morning.

My buddy mike went back out to pick up gear and he searched for the object that cut ACE. He was un able to find it. It could have been anything, we are hunting in about 1 ft of water, and who knows what is under there.

If I hunt that spot again, i will just have to handle ACE around the location of the accident, so hopefully it won't happen again.

Thanks again.

josh
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Fowlercon » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:19 pm

Tough break Josh. I'd bet that it's some assbags broken beer bottle. Heal up soon ACE dawg, there is work to do.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:00 pm

Dang that sucks but glad it wasn't worse bro.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:38 pm

HuntingWife wrote:I'm sorry to hear that... I hope he mends quickly!

What she said.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:10 pm

Josh, I hope Ace makes a full and speedy recovery.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole