keeping water open

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

keeping water open

Postby wpgriffon » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:34 pm

I know this is the field hunting area, but I have a water question that relates as I have a pond that I hunt which is surrounded by corn. my question is... what is an inexpensive way to keep water open and remove the ice that is there. I have cut open some holes with chainsaw, but am unhappy with this as it left an oil ick on water from chain oiler. The axe method became a "non-option" about 2 inches ago, and an ice eater is very damn expensive. I am wondering if any one has come up with a creative, "outside the box" method that really works. Am thinking about mounting a trolling motor to a small boat and leaving it running. pumps seem expensive and there is no power near by, and I have no generator. Any ideas are appreciated.
wpgriffon
hunter

Re: keeping water open

Postby ducksrlivetrap » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:36 pm

leave the ice and put a black tarp on the ice pack it full with shells and put full bodys around the tarp on the ice . you can do this fake a lake in a field and watch the birds hit it so hard ive had one duck kill it self and ive had 5 geese cripple them selfs
The weakest like in waterfowl hunting is YOUR ability to talk to the birds.

Im a fan of the ugly boats.

nobody's perfect ,and im definitely nobody
ducksrlivetrap
hunter

Postby MabiWan » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:13 pm

ducksrlivetrap wrote:leave the ice and put a black tarp on the ice pack it full with shells and put full bodys around the tarp on the ice . you can do this fake a lake in a field and watch the birds hit it so hard ive had one duck kill it self and ive had 5 geese cripple them selfs

Man, that is awesome!!! Ive seen mallards hit and slide on ice but never kill themselves even though I can see that happening.

Also, when I used to hunt ponds as a youngster, I would throw evergreen trees with a rope attached into the pond while it was open and the next morning if the pond was frozen would pull it out and there's a hole.
Micah 7:7

God bless our troops for all they do.
MabiWan
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:54 pm

i would love to see a duck kill itself i would laugh so freakin hard wait does that count toward your daily limit lmfao
clampdaddy wrote:I can't speak for God but I'm pretty sure that the killing of babies would probably be near the top of his list of things you shouldn't do.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby ducksrlivetrap » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:36 pm

the reason they hit so hard is b/c they think it is water i have seen them slide pretty far on ice and i mean fast too rite in to a tree trunk and then pick them selfs up and shake there head like where the f@#k did that come from

ducksrlivetrap
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:59 pm

I read about a guy that drills a hole with an ice fishing auger and sticks a pump in the hole and pumps the water onto the top of the ice. Might not work if its super cold out, but if the water on top of the ice looks different from the ice around it you would be golden.

Also heard about biodegradable blue dye
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby ducksrlivetrap » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:26 am

o yeah blue dye works good you can duy it in your local grocery store

ducksrlivetrap
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:11 pm

it was 16 degrees in oklahoma this morning and we were barely able to break the ice and keep it open so blue dye does work?
clampdaddy wrote:I can't speak for God but I'm pretty sure that the killing of babies would probably be near the top of his list of things you shouldn't do.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby gooserslan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Watch the blue dye. Even though its biodegradeable i recommend you do it on private land and let the landowner know. I can see someone having a real fit if your doing that on public waters. People are crazy like that.
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby ntx_duckster » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Somewhere in this forum I heard someone used blue jello powder and sprinkled it on the ice.
ntx_duckster
hunter

Postby MabiWan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:11 pm

My deeks are frozen solid in front of my pit (about 150). I'm gonna try to go down away from them about 200 yards or more in the corner of the field and try the blue dye trick with my ghg full bodies. How much dye I need? 10'x 10', 20'x20? Suggestions?
Micah 7:7

God bless our troops for all they do.
MabiWan
hunter

Postby hunt-4-life21 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:15 am

Is there any mineral that you could put in the water that is legal? I've seen some holes that have sulfur (its a natural spring) in them not freeze, but I dont know if you can buy sulfur or if it is even legal.
hunt-4-life21
hunter

Postby fireman1293 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:50 am

The blue dye is bio-degradable. You can buy it a farm store, its used during pesticide/herbicide as a field marking agent. You have probably seen it on golf courses when they spray. Put it in a cheap lawn sprayer and use that.

I know of a guy that mounted two trolling motors in opposite directions on a saw horse. He's shot 60-70 mallards so far this year out of that hole by himself!
fireman1293
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting