Spread?

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Spread?

Postby Deadeye_youth » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:38 pm

What would be the Min spread that you would require? #'s of rags, silos, socks, Fb's, etc..
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby TXwaterfowler » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:13 am

Well I would'nt say the theres min # of goose decoys to put out that would depend on you on how many YOU want to put out! Geese like lots of other geese on the ground . I live up in North Texas and usually the snow are preety good ways up there so I use 200 rags and 50 shells and full body plastic decoys. along with a kite. and the feild is right a 30 acers.
TXwaterfowler
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:26 am

Alright Im planning on buying 200 snow and 100 blue rags and some shells i dunno how many shells but ill be making my own silos.
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:49 am

i go 200 rags (min) with silos on the outsides but the gbigger the goups flying are the more rags i set out
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Admin2 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:34 pm

If a person used high quality Full Body decoys, they can use less than compared to other types of decoys.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby BlueGooseTN » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:03 pm

You could kill snows with prolly only 150-175 of the new GreenHead Gear Fb snows/blues. But that is some $$$.

My basic snow goose spread consist of 300 Texas rags (snows/blues), 2 dozen silos, I just added 3 dozen of the Green Head Gear FB snows and blues !
And of coarse Knutsons wind socks. :salude:

I mix the windsocks and rags in a large mass bout 30 yrds long, and 20 yrds wide..then on the down ward side of the mass I have family groups of the Full bodies. I hide the finisher blinds in with the Full bodies, and the silos are on the edges of the mass ..

E-caller i dunno i made my own it kinda sux !! :hammering:

A snow goose flag/kite is always good to!
WPS!
BlueGooseTN
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:05 am

Alright yeah Ive got an e-caller too. I just might have to pick up some fb's if i get around to it then. I plan on hunting somewhere around SE Iowa or Missouri this coming spring bc we have property down there and my dad has always seen birds when he goes down there in the spring Im just not sure where to hunt.
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby BlueGooseTN » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:07 pm

Try and do some scouting the day before you plan to hunt. Set up in the exact spot that you saw the geese in the day before.
WPS!
BlueGooseTN
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:17 pm

BlueGooseTN wrote:Try and do some scouting the day before you plan to hunt. Set up in the exact spot that you saw the geese in the day before.

that is the fool proof way and how i do it works most of the time
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Deadeye_youth » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:50 pm

Yup will be doing plenty of scouting.
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

snow decoys

Postby djv » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:10 pm

don't waste your time buying rags. they don't work like they used to. unless your hunting in canada. buy sillosocks or windsocks. we used to use rags and sillos and did great but the last few years we have made the switch to more realistic decoy because our total kill numbers were going in the toilet. the birds would get to about 80-90 yards and flare, due to the rags. we went more real and we are finishing of those migrators. go to sillosocks.com and check them out. best stuff on the market now. they stay open with no wind and you can get the economy decoys for 40 bucks.
djv
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:46 pm

You may be surpised at what 3 dz Full body Snows can pull in. Granted it may not be the huge flocks. But the smaller family sized flocks will decoy IF you are set up in the right place. Experience teaches you where and how to set up.

The idea that a hunter has to have 300+ decoys deters many from even trying to decoy. Too bad as they then go and jump them which makes the geese all the more on edge and harder to decoy. This idea is of needing so many decoys is a false based idea by some, as experienced Snow goose hunters know the truth. Granted a 500+ decoy spread will get more action, but a small spread will get some too and they will get a good taste of the fever. :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby yellowlab » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:54 pm

Admin2 wrote:You may be surpised at what 3 dz Full body Snows can pull in. Granted it may not be the huge flocks. But the smaller family sized flocks will decoy IF you are set up in the right place. Experience teaches you where and how to set up.

The idea that a hunter has to have 300+ decoys deters many from even trying to decoy. Too bad as they then go and jump them which makes the geese all the more on edge and harder to decoy. This idea is of needing so many decoys is a false based idea by some, as experienced Snow goose hunters know the truth. Granted a 500+ decoy spread will get more action, but a small spread will get some too and they will get a good taste of the fever. :thumbsup:

:withstupid: realism beats numbers alot of the time .. but not all of the time ... very very ture waht admin 2 said :thumbsup:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Deadeye_youth » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:08 pm

Alright thanks for the post guys.
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum