Cormorants

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Postby hankrt » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:48 am

I like the Coon trapping and transfering idea to the Cormorants Islands, maybe someone could do that on those Erie Islands......................Hey Mallardman, just poking a little fun at you about Canada, you have a wonderful place to live, and it's second on my list next to my home country............your money does look a little funny though.....lol
hankrt
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:11 pm

Those stupid things piss me off!! :pissed: they eat too much fish :umm:
T-MAN
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:21 pm

I'm on the same page with you T-Man. In Mich there are an estimated 700,000 of these things that migrate here in the summer, at 1 1/2 lbs per day per bird that is a whopping 1,05,000 lbs of Great Lakes fish per day!!! And we wonder why our fishery is taking a hit??!!
hankrt
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:13 pm

Because the MDNR and ODNR aren't smart enough to say hey hank and ISD and other waterfowlers if you have the chance go ahead and pop a few.Today I could have bagged many as they seemed to like the layout spread, even had some geese come through if only it were a few weeks ago :pissed:
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby tuf-duc » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:21 pm

Here in Texas their a big problem. They would land on some of the commercial catfish farms ponds and literally eat all the fish out of the ponds. The feds finally are allowing these Catfish farms special permits to shoot these pests.
tuf-duc
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:06 pm

hankrt wrote:Hey Mallardman, just poking a little fun at you about Canada, you have a wonderful place to live, and it's second on my list next to my home country............your money does look a little funny though.....lol

No worries hank, Canada should be made fun of eh! Aboot our money, it does look pretty goofy compared to the U.S. greenback. I don't know who ever thought of red or purple currency. Must have been a liberal!!

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby hankrt » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:53 pm

Or a woman............say the QUEEN??!!
hankrt
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:26 pm

tuf-duc wrote:Here in Texas their a big problem. They would land on some of the commercial catfish farms ponds and literally eat all the fish out of the ponds. The feds finally are allowing these Catfish farms special permits to shoot these pests.

aw should open it :thumbsup: up to us in no time
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:04 pm

Mallardman your paper money is odd enough but all them damn coins I feel like when I go north of the border I come home broke but then have $30 in change I hate it! :hammering:
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby hankrt » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:30 pm

That's to funny ISD, but I know what you mean...............sometimes I have to ask, OK, now how much is this one worth.....lol
hankrt
hunter

Postby CMAN » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:47 am

nothing some bbb or ts cant take care of! JK of course although i havent seen them they should be controlled before they ruin the fishing imo
TAKE EM BOYS
Waterfowling is a disease the only difference is we want this one passed on!!
CMAN
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:51 am

ISHOOTDIVERS wrote:Mallardman your paper money is odd enough but all them damn coins I feel like when I go north of the border I come home broke but then have $30 in change I hate it! :hammering:

All that coinage and cold weather adds up to cold hard cash! Think about it. :laughing:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby hankrt » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:27 am

Hey Greg..............just make sure you don't fall in the water while hunting with all that Canadian "Cold Hard Cash in your pocket" We want to keep you around for a while.....lol
hankrt
hunter

Cormorants

Postby MicroMike » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:22 pm

Bronc72. You're thinking about the Anhinga (AKA the water turkey). As far as I can tell, the anhinga is not protected. They were an accidentally introduced bird from asia (Maylasia I think). They look ver similar to the cormorant, but they have a slightly longer neck. A lot of people are probably seeing the Anhinga and thinking it's a cormorant. I was, until my dad pointed out the difference to me.
MicroMike
hunter

Postby hankrt » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:43 pm

They look just like a snake when their on the water with that little beedy head and skinny neck swimming around. Hard target to hit with a scattergun..
hankrt
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:11 pm

:toofunny: You don't have to worry about my cold hard cash dragin me under as I never seem to have much of it. 15 year old daughter makes sure of that. :laughing:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:25 pm

Does anybody have a picture of one of these up close? I saw one fall from the sky the other day and it bit it about 300 yards outside of my goose spread. I went over to look and this bird was nasty. It had an iridescent green tint over all of his body. Anybody have close up pics?
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby hankrt » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:42 am

I don't, they are so "UGLY" I would be afraid of cracking my camera lense............perhaps someone has a pic............
hankrt
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:04 am

I agree with everything. I salmon fish on the west side of the state and I don't see one all year and then when the alewife come to shore there are thousands of them. There goes the food for the salmon! They were very thick in Little Bay De Noc as well. I had the opportunity to see two up close :getdown: They are some ugly buggers! I saw the mount of one at fish point and it didn't look the same. MicroMike might be right. We might be confusing the species.
maddiedog
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole