Duck Hunting Forum banner

I Dont Know

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Idahofowlweather 
#1 ·
Just wondering if feild hunting ducks is better than hunting them over water. Never have done the feild hunting with ducks I have with geese. Is it about the same???

#3 ·
Field hunting for ducks takes more scouting than for water. But once loacted, and permission gained, it can be alot easier for setting up as no boat is needed, easier walking, etc..

#7 ·
Most of the hunting I do for ducks is in corn fields, set up 2 or 3 spinners some full body deeks and a layout blind and you are done, and then watch 15,000 green heads set their wings and drop to the ground. one bad thing is hens are hard to find and if you have a few guys shooting you can knock all of birds down and can be hard for one dog, but it beats setting up floating deeks and putting on waders and running the river in a boat. but I still hunt the river when I can, also my new corn field is on the snake river so I have been getting woodies and some divers to decoy in.

Jake

#8 ·
Man, Jake you sure have been wearin' em' out huh? Those #'s are incredible. We don't get them like that here in NC. We get our fair share I suppose, but not like that.

Oh, there is no field hunting ducks in NC. Not that I know of anyway. There's some good fields for gees, but that's it.

#11 ·
In shooting fields you tend to get mallards, pintails and the odd gadwall. Really good eating ducks. I used to shoot large lakes but my wife did not like the taste of the various types of birds we brought home. Best hunting for me now is large ponds in fields - these hold the mallards and I can get my dogs working.

Shooting divers is alot of fun and I do have the urge to try this again.

#12 ·
It all depends on what you prefer. I don't think that either is much easier. It can be easier to set up in a field. But both hunt present it's challenges. I think I shoot better when I hunt over water, but I love to pop out of a layout blind and put the bead on a nice mallard. They are both great ways to be out hunting.

#13 ·
Duck U 2 said:
Man, Jake you sure have been wearin' em' out huh? Those #'s are incredible. We don't get them like that here in NC. We get our fair share I suppose, but not like that.

Oh, there is no field hunting ducks in NC. Not that I know of anyway. There's some good fields for gees, but that's it.
I have a few guys tell me this... this year it froze for 3 weeks and then its been raining it has been ruff hunting so I have been hitting the divers...last year I was well over 200 but their still a few weeks left... got to love the 107 day season of the N.W.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.