Todays pistol ammo......

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Todays pistol ammo......

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:28 am

Lots of new stuff out there for hunters and defence.

Nyclad was a "Silver bullet" years ago for the little snub .38 but now things are looking a lot better for this old war horse, with ammo from Cor-Bon with the 110gr DPX and the Speer 125gr regular & 135 Gold Dot "short barrel" loads. The Federal load Hydro-Shok is a iffy on expansion and some call it the Hydro-Suck.............and the 158 lswchp by winchester is hard lead vs Rem/Fed and needs a 4" barrel to mushroom where the other two will open up to .570" dia in Gel test out of a 1 7/8" barrel.

Most 38 penetrate 10 to 16 inches but the new 158 GD jacket will penetrate over 29 inches in the .357 Mag for hunting and their
is Nosler if you need MORE!!

If you want maximum Factory loads, you might look up Buffalo Bore or Double Tap ammo that will be "Smoking Fast".

Now if we can just find stores that have ammo on stock !!

Later
Sagebrush
hunter

Re: Todays pistol ammo......

Postby ajmorell » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:50 pm

Sagebrush wrote:Lots of new stuff out there for hunters and defence.

Nyclad was a "Silver bullet" years ago for the little snub .38 but now things are looking a lot better for this old war horse, with ammo from Cor-Bon with the 110gr DPX and the Speer 125gr regular & 135 Gold Dot "short barrel" loads. The Federal load Hydro-Shok is a iffy on expansion and some call it the Hydro-Suck.............and the 158 lswchp by winchester is hard lead vs Rem/Fed and needs a 4" barrel to mushroom where the other two will open up to .570" dia in Gel test out of a 1 7/8" barrel.

Most 38 penetrate 10 to 16 inches but the new 158 GD jacket will penetrate over 29 inches in the .357 Mag for hunting and their
is Nosler if you need MORE!!

If you want maximum Factory loads, you might look up Buffalo Bore or Double Tap ammo that will be "Smoking Fast".

Now if we can just find stores that have ammo on stock !!

Later

Sage, exactly what are you saying in the highlighted sentence above? If you are comparing the penetration of 38 special to the penetration of the 357 mag, that isn't an apples to apples comparison. The 357 has quite a bit more velocity than the 38, even than the 38+P
For the record, IIRC Midway has a lot of those in stock. While those factory loadings are nice, I would still rather shoot handloads and believe that some of my stout 357 handloads are at least up to par with the hottest factory loadings.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:19 pm

I loaded 9mm but got rid of the Polish Radom Auto due to the hassle of reloading so am now just loading 38 and 357 mag.

Best load in the mag is the 160gr jacked lead tip swc design, which works great on Nevada Mule deer at 100 yards or less.
Only problem is Speer stopped making them and I am down to only two boxes, then I will have to find another meat bullet.

The old S&W mod 19-5 is pretty well used up from all the max 125 Jhp over the years but I have a new 686, 6 inch tube
on the way to be from the factory, that I will have to test out with 38 and mag loads but will keep the 1450 fps plus reloads to a minimum on this new gun.

The standard +P 38 FBI Lswchp at 890fps comes out of my old 19, 6 inch , at 950 fps which has 316 ft lbs of energy with
a max 38 load of Unique powder. Woundering what I will get out of the new gun?

I already have 148HBWC ,BBWC, 158SWC, 158 FBI, 125 Jhp, 110 Jhp, 38's loaded and some 110 and 125 Mags for testing
when the new toy arrives. Also had S&W include a Crimson Trace 307 grip along with the stock grips but will test those grips after I see what groups I get out of the old loads that worked, for me.

later
Image Image
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:07 pm

In theory you shouldn't see much difference if the barrel lengths on your old 357 and your new 686 (nice gun BTW) are the same. I haven't chrono'd any of my handloads but would be willing to bet few are over 1400 fps. According to my load manual my deer round (158 Hornady XTP HP over 17 grns H110/mag primer) is around 1300 fps, but their test barrel was 4", my GP100 has a 6" on it so I might be pushing 1400+ out of my gun. All I know is I can shoot a group the size of my fist at 45 yards with open sights with it :biggrin:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:58 am

Just got back from the range and found out a lot about the new gun.

The 19 loved slow wad cutters but this gun gave 2-3" patterns and seemed to like the 780 better than the 710 factory velositys.

It also patterns better with the 158 swc which I don't mind as long as I find a load that will shoot in it. I will be testing out the long 357 brass soon to see if it does better and if the full power loads will also work out.

Looks like I will be back at the drawing boards and doing a lot of loading to find the "Sweet Spot" again.

Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum