Moving to Arizona

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

Moving to Arizona

Postby PtakSteve12 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:56 pm

Hey Az duck hunters. Im going to be moving out to Arizona from Oklahoma in a few months. Im a die hard duck hunter and I am trying to get some information on duck hunting out in the Az. What kind of birds do you see? What are the good parts on the state to hunt it? What kind of gear is a must? Lakes, rivers, sloughs, etc..? Any info would be great and if anyones is lookin for a new hunting buddy next year let me know!! Thanks.

Steve
Wack em and Stack em boys
PtakSteve12
Newb

Re: Moving to Arizona

Postby jangles » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:29 am

If you move here thinking of duck hunting you are going to be very disappointed. This year sucked harder than most and they are usually bad compared to any other state. I feel sorry for you.
jangles
hunter

Postby PtakSteve12 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:51 am

Ya I kinda thought that. Im not real excited about the move, but I gotta do it for work. I am excited about trying to hunt some big game with my bow. There is no way I can give up on duck hunting tho, even a bad year is better than not trying!
PtakSteve12
Newb

Postby BigJls1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:12 pm

I kinda felt this year was better, I have almost 90 ducks this season, My buddy who is a better shot than me and has went out a few more times is pushing 150. several two man limit hunts. YOU MUST DRIVE AND WALK ALOT. ALOT. we go to the big rivers and just stat waling the bank for a few miles, eventually you will find a good little "eddie" in the river that the ducks are useing. hunt it and see where they go from that shop then proceed to walk some more..

you will be in shape by end of season.

JJ
BigJls1
hunter

Postby PtakSteve12 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks for the info Big J. Glad to hear some positive words. Im up for the challenge, if they are flying I have no problem workin my ass off to get them. See ya next season.
PtakSteve12
Newb

Postby Silverlab71 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:16 pm

What part of Oklahoma? I lived in Broken Arrow and OKC before I moved back here in 07. Ducks have been hit or miss this year. Had some great days and then just some so so days. Different hunting than OK. You need to put in for ELK by Feb 9th. Look up AZ game and fish for all the regs. It's hard to get drawn if you don't know where to hunt so if you have any questions let me know.
Good luck to you.
Silverlab71
Newb

Postby haiwee » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 pm

What part of Arizona? Alamo Lake in the west-central part of the state is usually pretty good, although this year it was kind of sucky because the big storms brought a bunch of debris into the lake that made it hard to get to the best spots. If you're in the western part of the state the Colorado is usually good.
haiwee
hunter

Postby Silverlab71 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:40 pm

Duck season is over. My dog is sad. Last two days were okay. 20 birds! I know that isn't much but reading some of the posts on AZ duck hunting makes me wonder if these boys need a guide. I should of had 40 but couldn't reload in time. It's not the same as it was when I lived in Colorado and you do have to work for it some times but it"s better than setting at home.
Silverlab71
Newb

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting