Motor oil - synthetic really worth the xtra $$?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Re: Motor oil - synthetic really worth the xtra $$?

Postby dieselduck » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:38 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:
ajmorell wrote:IMO yes it is 100% worth it I run 12k changes in my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Did you not just replace the engine in your GC due to the engine seizing up? :yes:

I run synthetic in my truck and my dad runs cheep store brand straight 30 in his and we both run about 5000 on the oil. one of his (1977 chevy 4x4) had over 400,000 on the original drive train when the body fell apart. it smokes a bit but is still 100% reliable. His 1994 has over 200,000 on it and is still going strong. So IMO I do not think it really matters at all. I do know some guys that switched to synthetic and had to switch back due to burning thru the synthetic about a quart every change and not having the same issue with conventional. if I run synthetic in my 35hp briggs or my 23hp Kawasaki they will smoke on start-up every time. I continue to use it due to the fact that I bought out about 25 cases from an bank auction at about .50 a quart but when it is gone I am not sure I will pay the extra or just go with the store brand conventional.

I did learn something I find very interesting on the oil subject. I have a customer that runs a mass transit garage. they are converting gas busses to PNG(I believe that is what he called it) and he told me that he has 2 older busses that have been running propane since new, Over 750,000 miles on the GM 427's. When they change the oil he said it looks as clean as it did when it was put in. he says that the engines / oil just seem to last a LOT longer when not burning gasoline.

CNG= compressed natural gas
It burns cleaner because there is less crap in it
dieselduck
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:45 am

The byproduct of buring propane is water, yep H2O, there are no hydrocarbons to contaminate the oil.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby dieselduck » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:30 pm

If hes talking about CNG its far different than propane..
dieselduck
hunter

Postby Capt Billy Bob » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:23 am

You can get Mobil 1 without paying the high price for it. Just purchase Walmart's SuperTech as it's Mobil 1 inside the jug.
Gone Fishing....Be Back for Deer Season...
Capt Billy Bob
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:51 am

I thought the Walmart Tech syn oil was recycled oil and I use it because it is cheap and I get better cold starts and slightly better mileage plus when my oil cap fell off the oil spilled out during 3 hours of idling and 100 miles on the highway and the dipstick barely read anything.
I also was told it came from the Penzoil source?
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Capt Billy Bob » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:18 pm

REM1100 wrote:I thought the Walmart Tech syn oil was recycled oil and I use it because it is cheap and I get better cold starts and slightly better mileage plus when my oil cap fell off the oil spilled out during 3 hours of idling and 100 miles on the highway and the dipstick barely read anything.
I also was told it came from the Penzoil source?

See, you can learn something everyday..... :biggrin:
Gone Fishing....Be Back for Deer Season...
Capt Billy Bob
hunter

Previous

Return to Vehicle forum