need advice

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

need advice

Postby reelsouthern1220 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:43 am

We are taking a trip to North Dakota about the 10th of October to do some pheasant and duck hunting. I am sure there are potholes on the property, but I have never field hunted ducks in a field being from FL. If we see ducks are using fields I want to try and be prepared to set up and hunt them. I do not have the gear for field hunting obviously. What would I need to do without spending a fortune on all the field hunting gear to be able to kill some ducks in a field. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
reelsouthern1220
hunter

Re: need advice

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 am

If you have nothing to hunt fields at all right now your going to have to spend at least $1000 to hunt the fields. going to need a layout blind $200, going to need 2 mojo's $125 each, going to need about 3-4 dozen goose decoys, going to need about 2-3 dozen field duck decoys.

I hunt the fields alot and went to ND this fall. Most guys run 8-10 dozen goose spreads with 4-5 mojos going then about 4-5 dozen duck decoys. It cost way more to field hunt, you have to throw out alot of decoys to get the birds attention there are thousand of acreas of crop land there so you have to pull them in. But also you can spend the whole week up there hunting ducks on water. You dont have to hunt fields we just wanted to do some field hunting.
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Re: need advice

Postby SP180 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:53 am

Early in the season like that you dont need to have a lot with a little scouting. First thing i like to say is, know the out-of-state rules before making the trip. If that is opening pheasant week out of state hunters are only allowed to hunt private or federal land. No state or plot land is allowed.

For duck hunting up here i do very well in a field with 1-2 dozen dekes. The thing is to do some good scouting. Find an active field and be set up the following day in the same area. all of last year i did not have a laydown blind. I used a piece of burlap and just laid in the field. A lot more uncomfortable, but it worked. If you know where the land is you can google earth it to see how it is set up. There are a ton of low spots in fields that farmers do not plant due to the mud that hold a lot of ducks. easy to set up on and you need very little equipment.

Good luck and have fun.
SP180
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting