Anyone fishing Galveston Texas bay system in January?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Anyone fishing Galveston Texas bay system in January?

Postby doehunter » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:02 am

I'm getting the itch and it's been years since I even fished saltwater.
I hear the top of East Bay is good for wading for specks, and Jan-Feb are good for targeting the big sows.
If I'm wading the Anauhac refuge shoreline, is it best on a rising or falling tide?
What about wind direction. fishing a leeward shoreline seems easiest to find decent water, but wouldn't the bait be stacked up on the windward shoreline?
Any suggestions?
Jim
doehunter
hunter

Re: Anyone fishing Galveston Texas bay system in January?

Postby aggiechiro » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:26 pm

i'm sorry i didnt see this earlier. i was in galveston the weekend after ducks closed we could have gone. flounder have been good all winter. there are huge trout in there, but i dont wade it, just too dirty. Anauhac is good, but if you're within 10 miles of there look out for gators- i dont care what time of year or if there is ice on the ground look out.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Re: Anyone fishing Galveston Texas bay system in January?

Postby DuckMendenhall » Thu May 13, 2010 4:20 pm

doehunter wrote:I'm getting the itch and it's been years since I even fished saltwater.
I hear the top of East Bay is good for wading for specks, and Jan-Feb are good for targeting the big sows.
If I'm wading the Anauhac refuge shoreline, is it best on a rising or falling tide?
What about wind direction. fishing a leeward shoreline seems easiest to find decent water, but wouldn't the bait be stacked up on the windward shoreline?
Any suggestions?
Jim

Jim:

I have not been on in while.

Good trout hold up there, fish it with Tops, and Corkys. And yes, WATCH for gators!!!! We were catching them on Pink, and Glo corkys that time of the year. Water movement in East is the best, in or out. A little to late for advice...but for next year...

Spring time, with the SSE,S winds pumping off the gulf, hit the south shoreline of any bay system and you should do pretty well. Find some bait working, and fish it solid. We hammered them last weekend. We fished pre-front Saturday at 3am before the winds kicked up out of the NNE. Look for that water temp to hover around 72 degrees, is the magic number. Look for green water coming on the gulf side, and if the winds cooperate, fish that bad boy, there are some big fish hiding in the guts. FYI...if you are going to Bolivar, get food before you go, because there is only 2 stores opened Dannay's Donuts, and the Shell Station, not to mention Stingaree Rest. PM me if you want to hook up.

Lee
Tight lines...
DuckMendenhall
hunter

Return to Fishing