Atom Broadheads

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Atom Broadheads

Postby nvmudhenkiller » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:11 pm

I was wondering if anybody has used the Atom broadheads yet. I have been reading up on this product and it sounds like it's a good product. I wanted to hear some reviews from hunters that aren't on a payroll of some type. No offense to the pro's. I would just like to hear from somebody that has spent their hard earned money on a new prouduct to the archery world.
Thanks and happy hunting.
nvmudhenkiller
hunter

Re: Atom Broadheads

Postby freebird134 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:22 pm

Hey man, I used Atom's a few years ago. My bow was set up for mechanical broadheads but I was headed back home to Idaho to hunt pronghorn, and Idaho doesn't allow mechanicals. The Atom's fly like field points (True, they really did fly well) so I didn't have to adjust my bow much from the mechanicals setup. I had reservations about using the broadheads because of their weird design, but since pronghorn are relatively small animals (under 100lbs) I figured it would work fine. I did shoot a pronghorn at about 35 yards with a Mathews LX, 70lbs and and ~450g arrows--and got horrible penetration. My arrow center-punched a rib and only penetrated about 6"--but it died in 1 shot. That poor performance on a pronghorn definitely was a bad sign, and I quickly retuned my bow with G5 broadheads before headed after mule deer the following week!
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?'"
Aldo Leopold
A Sand County Almanac, 1949
freebird134
hunter

Re: Atom Broadheads

Postby ksmak02 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:59 pm

My friend swears by them. He has shot 20+ animals with the same broadhead, mostly hogs and whitetail. I just got into bowhunting so I have not had time to try them myself but that's what I'm going to start out with.
Pintail-1
Widgeon-5
Mottled Duck-1
Redhead-6
Bluebill-3
Gadwall-5
Greenwing Teal-2
Bufflehead-3
Red Breaster Merg-1
ksmak02
hunter

Return to Archery