Raccoons and Muskrats???

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Raccoons and Muskrats???

Postby Decoy King » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:03 am

I was talking to a guy that I met out on the river trapping and I asked him wat he did with the meat from all the animals. He said that he gives the Muskrats and Raccoons to some people and they eat them. Have any of you ever ate either of these. I was wondering wat they taste like if they were worth saving all the meat for. Thanks for any info. :thumbsup:
Decoy King
hunter

Re: Raccoons and Muskrats???

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:29 am

I've heard of people doing it, never eaten them myself though.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waldo2382 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:55 pm

No raccoons in my area, but the muskrat carcasses make great bait for dang near any predator.
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:34 pm

waldo2382 wrote:No raccoons in my area, but the muskrat carcasses make great bait for dang near any predator.

That's true too. I've used 'rats for coon and fox, or whatever. It's worth saving the muskrats for that alone.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckpoop1956 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:17 pm

The hind legs of a muskrat have a lot of meat and make great table fair.Next time you get one and skin it take a look at the back legs and you will agree. no special cooking, pan frying is fantastic ( cook like a rabbit) or in a stew, boil meat then take meat off of bones. I have fed many people muskrat and they loved it. Some people after I told them what it was said it tasted funny, but that was only after they wiped there plate clean with a bisquit and couldn't eat a bite more. Beaver is also very good, front and back legs also the back( the part between the last rib and the hind legs) has a lot of meat on it. The tail needs to be skined and cubed up and makes the best stew I have ever had. It is very rich and hearty tasting. Coon has to be rendered, meaning dripping the fat off of the meat before preparing to eat. A very rich meat similar to bear meat . Great on the grill.
P.S. Both the muskrat and the beaver need no par boiling before pan frying, very tender meat.
Darryl
Long gone and in a hurry
duckpoop1956
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:42 pm

I just threw up in mouth a little bit. :crying:
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby Norsky » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:54 pm

The muskrat was very important food source to pioneers and trappers. Many survived the winters eating them. If prepared right I am sure most fur bearers are edible. I know of one man that made raccoon into hot dogs and most people ate them and didn't know it.
Norsky
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:04 am

I know lots of people that eat muskrats. It's not a big deal, But eating a racoon to me is just disgusting.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby jpostx3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:57 am

I've always had the best luck catching mink with a muskrat carcass. They are good to eat also. Just a lot more meat on a beaver. Also, Coyotes LOVE LOVE LOVE Beaver carcasses. Haven't tried muskrats for them just simply because they are so much smaller.
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:43 pm

never tried muskrat...not even sure if we have them this far south.

however coon is pretty good. if you slow cook it in some fashion to let the fat render out it isn't very greasy. personally i wouldn't coon hunt if i wasn't gonna eat them. my favorite is to split them like a pig, put it on a grill away from the heat, and baste with italian dressing...very good.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby jpostx3 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:23 pm

[quote="aggiechiro"]never tried muskrat...not even sure if we have them this far south.quote]

If you have beaver you have rats.
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Postby Jonny Boy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:59 pm

I will eat muskrat, possum, and beaver. They actually make fine table fare. But coons on the other hand.....they are greasy, stinky, nasty things. Only if I was starving.....literally.
Jonny Boy
hunter

Postby jpostx3 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Jonny Boy wrote:I will eat muskrat, possum, and beaver. They actually make fine table fare. But coons on the other hand.....they are greasy, stinky, nasty things. Only if I was starving.....literally.

I have seen way to many of them come out of a dead cows butt to even think of eating one. I have never ate coon, but would try it if a black man cooked it. They love them here, so I reckon they know how to fix em.
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Postby Jonny Boy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:08 pm

jpostx3 wrote:
Jonny Boy wrote:I will eat muskrat, possum, and beaver. They actually make fine table fare. But coons on the other hand.....they are greasy, stinky, nasty things. Only if I was starving.....literally.

I have seen way to many of them come out of a dead cows butt to even think of eating one. I have never ate coon, but would try it if a black man cooked it. They love them here, so I reckon they know how to fix em.

My grandpa always ate the possum that he trapped, and he offered it to me once, without knowing what it was, I tried it and I liked it! After he told me what it was, I didn't believe him. I looked it up, and you would be surprised that many people eat possum. Around where I live though, the coons are greasy, and stinky. when we try to cook them up, we end up stinking up the whole house. My grandpa would almost eat anything, because he was a strong believer in you eat what you shoot, but he wouldn't touch coons. Maybe there is a secret to cook them up, who knows.
Jonny Boy
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:00 pm

jpostx3 wrote:If you have beaver you have rats.

well i know we have beaver, guess i just never cam across a rat.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum