Bait Help

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON

Bait Help

Postby dukkiller2012 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Hey guys, I'm just startin to get into bass fishin and need some help. There are a ton of baits for sale so i wanted to know some that usually work pretty and a beginner could use. I've heard about soft bait and will prolly get some of them but as far as the other go i dont have a clue.
dukkiller2012
hunter

Re: Bait Help

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:33 am

where do you live DK? What type of bodies of water will you be fishing? Whats the water clarity like? What time of year are you refering to? What kind of cover?

You asked a loaded question. I know this b/c since moving from Texas to Missouri, I've had to adapt some of my tactics for the type of water thats here. Where i grew up, the water was murky to muddy, and what people around here call murky looks awfully clear to me.

Also time of year, fishing pressure, and types of cover greatly affects fishing tactics as well.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby dukkiller2012 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:10 pm

well i plan on fishin a little this spring and through the summer porbaby until late august. I live on the only island city in iowa on the mississippi river so i'll fish in water semi-clear or murky, and anywhere from 2-10 ft of water. ususally i would try to find either submerged snags, lily pads or weed beds. i tried last year and caught three bass total all in one day and i didn't have a clue what i was doin. so far i've learned i did quite a bit wrong since all i had was 2 crankbaits and a spinner. i plan on using more soft baits this year im just triyin to learn about all these different rigs and some good baits to use em with.
dukkiller2012
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:01 pm

My favorite Pre-Spawn and Spawn tactic is slow rolling spinner baits. I normally use either white (for clearer water) or Chartreuse (for murkier water). I just love dragging those suckers along the bottom. You can also burn spinners during the spawn when fish are more active or in the summer during the early morning hours and late afternoon early evening hours. During the spawn you can also fish texas rigged worms and all sorts of other baits, but I just love using spinner baits.

Once it starts warming up, monitor water temps, and see if you can get on some Pre-spawn and spawning fish. Thats about as good as it gets for bass.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:14 pm

dukkiller2012 wrote:well i plan on fishin a little this spring and through the summer porbaby until late august. I live on the only island city in iowa on the mississippi river so i'll fish in water semi-clear or murky, and anywhere from 2-10 ft of water. ususally i would try to find either submerged snags, lily pads or weed beds. i tried last year and caught three bass total all in one day and i didn't have a clue what i was doin. so far i've learned i did quite a bit wrong since all i had was 2 crankbaits and a spinner. i plan on using more soft baits this year im just triyin to learn about all these different rigs and some good baits to use em with.

i suggest try to keep it simple: target visible structure (brush, laydowns,...) and work those spots w/ a bait like a brush hog or a jig. if you can find decomosing lily pads, fish those this time of year, because they put off heat and slight water temp increase can means a lot. fishing will probably be tough right now so dont get discouraged. if you can fish before a front is passing is much better than post front conditions. also, if you get a few warmer days in a row, probably a good time to go give it a try.

a lot of techniques are looking for a reaction bite, so picture dropping your bait right in front of a bass' face and it instinctively swallowing it. problem is, bass will get in the thickest, nastiest structure so to get your bait in there (and quietly) is the key.

in the summer time, the bass will be in those lily pads where it's cool. you can throw weedless topwater baits (rage baits), spinner bait and also other plastics in the pads (senkos).

but again, right now you cant go wrong fishing slow w/ a creature bait, tube, or jig imo. good luck, keep us posted on how you do.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby dukkiller2012 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:21 pm

thanks a lot guys, the advice is really helpin. right now where i live we got atleast o foot of ice on all the water so the only fishin i do is through a 8 inch hole at the moment. good news is i went to my favorite crappie spot the other day and pulled two 16in largemouths. it was just a tear drop jig with a minnow and they took it rite down. as soon as i get a good thaw im gonna go try them jigs you told me about. should be about 2 months though so rite now im just organizin tackle boxes. :fingerhead:
dukkiller2012
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:45 pm

dukkiller2012 wrote:thanks a lot guys, the advice is really helpin. right now where i live we got atleast o foot of ice on all the water so the only fishin i do is through a 8 inch hole at the moment. good news is i went to my favorite crappie spot the other day and pulled two 16in largemouths. it was just a tear drop jig with a minnow and they took it rite down. as soon as i get a good thaw im gonna go try them jigs you told me about. should be about 2 months though so rite now im just organizin tackle boxes. :fingerhead:

sweet.

one thing you could do before the ice thaws, is practice your casting, specifically flipping and pitching (even if you know how, practice wont hurt)

pitching presents your bait dropping vertically and is a great way to get into spots where other wise you'd have to "shoot" your bait in. you hold your rod in one hand and grab your bait w/ the other w/ about as much line out as the length of your pole. (learn to hold your rod w/ your opposite dominate hand, that way, once you get good at it, you can quickly make pitches w/ out switching the rod in your hands slowing you down) if you search youtube or the google it, you probably could find something to show you how its done.

to practice, put a coffee can in your back yard and practice putting your bait in it. once you get the technique down, there is always improvement to be made, such as landing the bait softly, as to not create too much distubance. you want your bait to travel as low to the water as possible. it takes a lot of practice but every bass fisherman should know how to flip and pitch. it's deadly and fun. i do probably 75% of my fishing pitching.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:48 am

Great suggestions here :yes: I'd get a 5 gallon bucket/coffee can as previously suggested and get a practice plug or Texas rig a plastic worm and start casting from various distances getting the bait in bucket. Use bushes in the yard and try to get the bait underneath the overhanging branches,...Gotta' get it in the strike zone :hi:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bayouboy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Great suggestions here :yes: I'd get a 5 gallon bucket/coffee can as previously suggested and get a practice plug or Texas rig a plastic worm and start casting from various distances getting the bait in bucket. Use bushes in the yard and try to get the bait underneath the overhanging branches,...Gotta' get it in the strike zone :hi:

probably the biggest thing that separates pros from avid weekend anglers is casting. watching those guys like swindle, rojos, and klein brings me to earth real quick.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

bayouboy
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:23 am

bayouboy wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:Great suggestions here :yes: I'd get a 5 gallon bucket/coffee can as previously suggested and get a practice plug or Texas rig a plastic worm and start casting from various distances getting the bait in bucket. Use bushes in the yard and try to get the bait underneath the overhanging branches,...Gotta' get it in the strike zone :hi:

probably the biggest thing that separates pros from avid weekend anglers is casting. watching those guys like swindle, rojos, and klein brings me to earth real quick.

:yes: ....I met Ricky Klunn years ago at a Bass'a'Rama :thumbsup:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bayouboy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:46 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
bayouboy wrote:

:yes: ....I met Ricky Klunn years ago at a Bass'a'Rama :thumbsup:

he's one of the best if not the best (think kvd will own all the records)

he said one time that an indian told him if you want to kill an owl, you dont learn about the owl, but you learn about the mouse.

he's a different cat, pretty interesting.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

bayouboy
hunter

Return to Fishing