To those...just getting started

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

To those...just getting started

Postby cut_un » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Noticed we have several new waterfowlers here on DHC. Guess you went out with a friend and "got bit". First ,WELCOME...it's a great sport. I'd like to offer you several thoughts to think about in the "off season". I'm sure you are chomping at the bit,looking thru all the catalogs ,ready to spend your hard earned money... SLOW DOWN It's a lifelong journey. First,ask yourself is this something you plan on doing season long,every chance you get, or after deer season. I say that because the gear needed is not cheap. If you plan on doing it only once or twice, save all the time and money, book a guided muilti day hunt on the eastern shore and be done with it.You will come out ahead. The time scouting, rigging decoys, getting your boat ready will take many hours. ALSO, what and where are you planning to hunt. We here in Va. have so many different types of habitat and it offers us several different styles of hunting. Most have a large jon boats with some form of floating blind attached.Those will be hunting the "big water",rivers and lakes scattered across the state. I too have a "floater" but I also have a small one man boat (Otter Stealth 1200)and hunt the back waters of our lakes and creeks. I kill as many ducks with my Stealth boat as I do my big boat. The difference is my Stealth cost $600.00, my big boat cost $6,000. Your choice. Guess, my point being, don't jump in too quick, take your time,read up on duckin, here on DHC and other sites like American Waterfowlers, DelmarvawaterfowlTV,Chasinthelimit and any others you may visit,THEN, come up with game plan...... at that point, dive on in, the waters fine :wink: just my $.02
Last edited by cut_un on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Re: To those...just getting started

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:18 pm

we need a sticky that says something like this for all the newbies in the future . hint hint :thumbsup:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby buckshot5792 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:57 pm

I agree with ima duckin. A sticky with a few tips for beginners.
Nothin runs like a Deere, NOTHIN stops 'em like a Browning!
Drop that tailgate, show 'em what it's all about.
THWACK...It's a bowhunting thing, you wouldn't understand.
buckshot5792
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:56 pm

No sticky needed as long as we keep posting, new hunters get smart fast or drop out . Cut made a good point about the born again duck hunters , save your money and do guided hunts after deer season goes out.

:hammer: LD :hammer:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:55 am

imaduckin up north wrote:we need a sticky that says something like this for all the newbies in the future . hint hint :thumbsup:

.......Agreed!,..and I nominate you for it :yes: ......(but for gosh sakes don't recommend Kent Steel :devil: )
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby drake7 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:37 am

I'm not a new duck hunter, but I've always gone with other people and am looking to get started hunting on my own. In scouting/researching sites around me, I am having trouble finding out whether you can hunt on state parks. Anybody have any insight into the legality of hunting on state parks? What about hunting on a river that flows through a state park?

Thanks!
drake7
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:11 am

Not to sure about the state parks systems...most are pretty strict on firearms, so do offer lottary hunts. Might I suggest you look into WMAs!

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:50 pm

This should answer your questions and good luck! http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/hunting.shtml

A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Tantor » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:21 pm

Cut,

Your willingness to help newcomers and strangers has always impressed me.
Anti-Sunday is an anti-hunting position. Where do you stand?

Loosing faith in humanity one person at a time.
Tantor
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:07 am

Thanks Brother, I've always felt we are "brothers in the sport"! Some...big brothers, some lit brothers,all needing help at times!

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby Tantor » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:23 pm

Always the epitome of the southern gentleman. :thumbsup:
Anti-Sunday is an anti-hunting position. Where do you stand?

Loosing faith in humanity one person at a time.
Tantor
hunter

Postby usneskimo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:10 am

i second the above about the duck hunting community as a whole being fairly close knit, i chalk it up to the same mind set in all that somehow finds joy in waking up way too early and putting yourself through miserable weather to enjoy this absurd past time chasing birds. I am just a guest of virginia being stationed but i have found nothing but open arms out on the water.
usneskimo
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:57 am

Theres a lot a newbie with a tight budget can do to get started. A good used pump gun will save you a lot. A $200 craigs list aluminium boat and a gallon of OD paint will do nice after a proper cleaning, prep and aluminium primer. Check out the NY Forum, and the Boats Forum here at DHC. Guys are taking free Sunfish sailboat hulls and with little $$$$ and a little time, turning them into protected water duck boats. You can get a pair of hip boots for $20 these days, get you started and last 2 years. Also, get involved with Org projects and friendships will be established and hunting invites and info will flow. This is an incredible sport, once you are fully addicted and up to your armpits in it. :thumbsup:
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby Brickhouse » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:20 am

I have been hunting in a little pond on my grandparents land in NC with my uncle in cousin since i was about 15 but my grandparents arnt with us anymore and we dont go down there anymore. Ive always really enjoyed duck hunting and i want to get into again around my area (Richmond/Chesterfield) but i dont know where to go. I dont really have the experience to hop in a boat or blind and start blasting away so i was wondering if there any hunting clubs in the area anyone knows about.
Brickhouse
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Tell ya what brick, we have alot of opportinities here in central VA. A major river system is only a short distance away, several large lakes as well as a few WMA's offer a bunch of public hunting opportinities. You really do not need to be a member of a waterfowl club to kill birds. It does help and it's nice to hang with like minded people. Nose around long enough and you may find one.
I'd do erge you to join one "or more" of the conservation organizations,some national,some state. Check em all out, they all have websites,read their mission statements and jump in. I can recommend DU, Waterfowl USA, Delta.Those three are national orgs. and have chapters all across the country. Va. also has a state org, Vawfa, it has members across the state, bet some members are your neighbors.
You can also find,meet fellow waterfowlers at stores like Dances, Greentop or Bass Pro, get to know and talk to them, they may either put in in touch with or take you along as a visitor .
Just a few ways to get ya in the game :thumbsup: Bet just talkin Fowl on here will help ya a bit, we have a great bunch of guys on here and they atre willing to share their experiences! Good Luck brother :beer:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby Jones co Ducker » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:39 pm

LEWDOG wrote:No sticky needed as long as we keep posting, new hunters get smart fast or drop out . Cut made a good point about the born again duck hunters , save your money and do guided hunts after deer season goes out.

x2
WTN10 wrote:Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?

jehler wrote: Beginning of the season cyber scouters, whiney teenage drama queens and zombie trolls take their toll.
Jones co Ducker
hunter

Postby Robs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:44 pm

im not new to duck hunting but new to VA i've looked into the stealth 1200 alot and thinking about getting one. thanks for the heads up and advice.
Robs
hunter

Postby TN_Cutter » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Does anyone know the rules for hunting on the Occoquan NWR? It's not far from home and looks ducky from google earth. I'm a relocated Tennessean looking to get back into the hunt. I have my gun and a little green kayak. What else do I need to take down some ducks in the NOVA area? I'm starting to think that it may be easier to just purchase a guided hunt around here with all the rules and no hunting on Sunday, but even those are slim pickins around here.
...A week has gone by with no answer. Tough crowd. How about a softball. When does the push usually occur in the DC area. And when the Potomac freezes, is it worth cutting smaller holes and throwing 6-12 deacs in?
TN_Cutter
hunter

Postby Stu » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:21 pm

I am not an expert but I don't think there is any duck hunting at Occoquan NWR, just deer by special permit.
Stu
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:36 pm

TN_Cutter wrote:Does anyone know the rules for hunting on the Occoquan NWR? It's not far from home and looks ducky from google earth. I'm a relocated Tennessean looking to get back into the hunt. I have my gun and a little green kayak. What else do I need to take down some ducks in the NOVA area? I'm starting to think that it may be easier to just purchase a guided hunt around here with all the rules and no hunting on Sunday, but even those are slim pickins around here.
...A week has gone by with no answer. Tough crowd. How about a softball. When does the push usually occur in the DC area. And when the Potomac freezes, is it worth cutting smaller holes and throwing 6-12 deacs in?

were you out there today?
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby lilredneckgirl » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:58 am

And now, the rest of the story.
first, Duck hunters are a close nit family. so understand that to mean if you aint my husband or son, im not going to tell you where i am going....
second lesson, blind laws, depending on what side of the fence, or interstate 95 you live on, you may not get to go hunting in certain areas. Blind laws take public water and give it to the landowners around it. They get 1000 yard long swaths of private hunting for each blind, and license many blinds to encompass sometimes miles of water front. Plain and simple, you just aint getting in there to hunt.
third, that suggestion of booking with a guide is gospel.
forth, even up here in the mountains, your favorite fishing hole is prolly not going to pan out for duckin. fishing is when you cant see the MC Mansion up on the hill because there are leaves on the trees, and the landowner cant hear you cause you aint shooting at the fish....
5th, Just because you spent your mortgage payment on decoys and waders, dont mean your going huntin. google earth and map quest wont get you permission to hunt. If your not willing to put your feet on the dirt and knock on doors, sell your gear now.
last but not least, be prepared to be frustrated, angry at times, and spend buckets of time on just looking for areas to hunt. Duckin aint easy or cheap in any respect. Its known as the Rich mans sport, because in prime duck areas, Landowners get prefered treatment by the government. Others argue its not a rich mans sport, cause all it takes is a gun, license and a box of shells, but they forget the blind laws wild card. And if by chance you get it all together, there is always the other wild card, the migration, which may or may not happen on those weekends when you can manage a lil bit of time off.
Last edited by lilredneckgirl on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
YES I HUNT LIKE A GIRL!!!! BooYaaaa
lilredneckgirl
hunter

Postby nvr2old2quack » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:18 am

Yes cut is right, my brother took me the first time 2 years,several jon boats , decoys , layout blind, etc. $$$$$$ later wished I was younger so I could do more while I was working and had the $$, Now retired & tired, Still love it. !!! :thumbsup:
Retired to hunt Ducks, Geese, Coyotes, Sure could use another box of Kent shells !!
nvr2old2quack
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Heres some helpful advice for those just starting out: STOP! Don't go thru all the time, money, manhours,more money, boats, motors, trailers,4 wheelers,decoys,duck calls,more money,trucks, duckblinds, leases,shotguns,waders,dogs,food for the dog,dog to the vet,more money,licenses,stamps,mojos,jerkducks,spinners,recorders,amplifiers,rags,stakes,sticks,sleds,carts,
and EVERYTHING else in between!! Let the older,wiser,seasoned veterans go thru this so you newer watefowlers don't have to.
Waterfowling is a very expensive hobby and sport so get your wallet out and start getting all the items mentioned. If you ever get to a point that you have everything you need, call me, I have a second list to shop for. It takes alot to hunt but the fun and excitement will last a lifetime! Good Luck! :smile:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:14 pm

you just named all the things that make waterfowling fun, otherwise youre just a spectator
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:31 pm

where is the "Like" button for the comments. Well said IslandGunner.
BACK BAY/PUNGO LOCAL WANNABE
Back Bay Hazardous Sea Conditions Navigation Expert
Back Bay Entitlement & Anti Sunday hunting supporter
Moving to Front Royal, VA to be close to my friends
Don't Take My Blind Whiner/Complainer/Victim & Apparent Homo
gooosehunter
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting