To those...just getting started

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Re: To those...just getting started

Postby quack/smaking/from/the/MO » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:25 pm

i just moved to virginia i been duck hunting in missouri for awhile and i was wanting to know where is there to go in virginia and how does the public land works cuase in missouri we have a lottery pull everyday i live in the hampton roads area but willing to drive really 2 hours or so to hunt
quack/smaking/from/the/MO
Newb

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Start here: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/

Read up on the blind laws, because that is what will get you in the most trouble if you don't know them. Quick way to get a ticket from the GW.

There are still quota hunts available to draw for on the site above. Basically, the public land is by draw on the WMA's and the rest is by blinds. Like i said, read up on the blind laws and hope you have a boat. Get to scouting and good luck. Hope you have a decent size boat for some of the waters around here...it gets hairy!
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby quack/smaking/from/the/MO » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:05 pm

is there any walk-in lottery places around where you can wear waders instead of a boat
quack/smaking/from/the/MO
Newb

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:05 pm

I don't think there is around the HR area. You could try standby at the Princess anne Impoundments or maybe Hog Island. Back Bay blind stakes you need a boat.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Tips wanted.

Postby wringneck » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm a newcomer to this forum, though I've actually been shooting waterfowl...occasionally and sporadically, for the last 15 years.

Why? Mainly lack of access to good opportunities, no to mention that if you're to get serious about it, you need a lot of stuff.
Dekes. Some kind of watercraft. yadda yadda. Not to mention the LAW!!! Talk about complicated. No wonder people are giving up hunting. Read somewhere that VA alone has lost over 70k licensees over the last decade or so.

So in the meantime, I'd like to hear what tips y'all might offer on finding access to simple hunts like resident canadas and flooded timber, say, north of Richmond VA.

And please see my hunt swap post.
wringneck
Newb

Postby Islander Gunner » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Heres a simple tip: Do like every one else on here and start scouting places and knocking on doors. People are not going to break down your door hoping you'll come and shoot ducks or geese off their property. You get what you put in it, work hard= results. The blind laws are what they are, read them, understand them and use them to your advantage to hunt waterfowl. Might check on the deer clubs and see if they allow waterfowl hunting (might have some beaver ponds or flooded timber holes), the geese are all over everywhere,it'll take alot of gas, time, people skills and $$ but eventually you'll gain access to places to hunt them. Or join a waterfowl club, several on Craigs list, they are not cheap but it'll get ya some places to hunt. Or do nothing and book a couple of guided hunts this season. There are several of guides that will work hard to put you on the birds, Good Luck! :smile:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby cthemfly25 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:18 am

As a newbie to the forum and to waterfowling, these posts should be required reading. Thx to all for sharing wisdom and experience. I've hunted with some guides over the past three years and lets just call it education tuition.
cthemfly25
hunter

Postby jheward22 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:13 pm

I was wondering if anybody knew of some land or a place to hunt. I live in virginia beaach so any place near there would be good. Im just getting started aand am trying to find a good place to hunt.
jheward22
Newb

Postby recoil slinger » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:23 pm

jheward22 wrote:I was wondering if anybody knew of some land or a place to hunt. I live in virginia beaach so any place near there would be good. Im just getting started aand am trying to find a good place to hunt.

dgif..website. check the wma's. do some scouting. alot. do it now why the birds are still here. :thumbsup:
Boy, duck hunting is for fags and pirates. And I know your no pirate
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:49 am

apply for the quota hunts at wmas they all pretty much suck unless you get drawn for hog Island and want o shoot some coots. Its a place to go tho. :clapping:
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:05 am

bowhunter1212 wrote:apply for the quota hunts at wmas they all pretty much suck unless you get drawn for hog Island and want o shoot some coots. Its a place to go tho. :clapping:

You my friend r clueless
Boy, duck hunting is for fags and pirates. And I know your no pirate
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:59 pm

He is using a jedi mind trick there recoil...
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Previous

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting