Recommendations for a October duck hunt

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Recommendations for a October duck hunt

Postby watergap duck » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:09 am

Hello All,
I am already planning a trip to ND for this October. I would like to come to hunt for any Divers(bluebills ,canvasback ruddys,bufflehead,redheads or goldeneye)and shovelers(spoonbills). I don't even want to see a mallard!!!
Does anyone have any areas or regions of North Dakota they would recommend I try? I am not looking to shoot a limit each day just a couple birds.
Also would the last week of October be to late due to ponds freezing up?
Like most waterfowl hunters I am on a Light budget and cannot afford to stay in a high dollar lodge. This does not mean I would not pay a reasonable price for a guide service, so if you have a name of a good guide please let me know.
Thank you much for any information!
Wayne from NJ
watergap duck
hunter

Re: Recommendations for a October duck hunt

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:01 pm

If you have a big boat, just hunt Devils Lake. Plenty of divers.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby watergap duck » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:03 pm

I wish I had the time to drive there with my boat but I am going to fly into Bismarck and rent a vehicle.
watergap duck
hunter

Postby miken » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:33 pm

Good luck not seeing any mallards, they're everywhere! We went up there last fall and had good mixed bag shoots of divers on the potholes in the evenings. Just driving by the holes you'll see tons of divers. We hunted out of Goodrich, ND.
miken
hunter

Postby watergap duck » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:08 am

ok thanks for that info, it sounds like covering some miles and looking at potholes is the way to go for what I am looking for.
watergap duck
hunter

Postby UTTOM » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:59 am

How effective or necessary are mojo's in late October?
UTTOM
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:44 pm

They help, but aren't as effective as the old days.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby DRHunter » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:04 pm

I would recommend the farthest east side of the state for Divers.. also would recommend you find a friend from ND to go with.. I was pretty frustrated with a lot of the negative response I got back from the farmers last year dealing with out of state hunters. RESPECT the state, the farmers, the land, and the birds. I got a pretty sick feeling when told some stories. Things are slowly getting ruined for people comming up into the state. I had guys last year after having years and years of a relationship hunting their land will let no one out there any more.. Remember all it takes is one person to ruin it for us all.. Look into flying into Fargo it will make things a lot easier for ya. Good luck.
Good Day and Good Huntin to You!
DRHunter
hunter

Postby watergap duck » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:29 am

I will try hunting the east side of the state for sure. I know what you are talking about when you say the farmers/landowners have had some bad hunters abuse the permission to hunt their property. Unfortunately, as I travel around the US I find the same thing happening all over, as it turns out most of these idiots causing the problems are from my state of NJ!
Thats to all for the help on my request for info on hunting North Dakota.
watergap duck
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:39 am

DRHunter wrote:I would recommend the farthest east side of the state for Divers.. also would recommend you find a friend from ND to go with.. I was pretty frustrated with a lot of the negative response I got back from the farmers last year dealing with out of state hunters. RESPECT the state, the farmers, the land, and the birds. I got a pretty sick feeling when told some stories. Things are slowly getting ruined for people comming up into the state. I had guys last year after having years and years of a relationship hunting their land will let no one out there any more.. Remember all it takes is one person to ruin it for us all.. Look into flying into Fargo it will make things a lot easier for ya. Good luck.

I think a lot of people come up here and see the wide open spaces and think, there's nobody here....I can do whatever I want! But the farmers usually end up finding the evidence of the slobs and you're right...it ends up ruining it for everyone.

RESPECT the state, the farmers, the land, and the birds

Well put.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Powerhen » Thu May 20, 2010 8:49 am

PM sent.
Powerhen
hunter

Postby blackened89 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:58 am

I know this is an older post, but I too have been wondering about diver hunting in North Dakota. I am originally from Minnesota and mainly hunted divers on smaller lakes, but now I live in Fargo and would like to hunt around here or anywhere in the state for that matter. The only hunting I have done in ND is prairie dogs so any diver help is appreciated.
blackened89
hunter

Postby watergap duck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:30 am

I did very well last october with the information provided in the posts on here .I flew into fargo then drove & hunted the area around the devils lake itself. There is some plots land south and west that was good also.Mostly jump shooting small ponds.
I saw more divers during my hunts than puddle ducks.That was the 3rd week of october.
Good luck!
watergap duck
hunter

Postby waterfowl1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:42 am

plots land can be good for hunting. shoot alot of divers on potholes. a good amount of scouting will pay off in the end. cant say enough on respecting the farmers and there land. due to crappy people and there bad huntings ethics, alot more farmers are leary to letting people hunt there land. so when you do meet a farmer good enough to let you hunt his land be respectful and start a good relationship with them for the years to come. when we hunt others land we will always offer some of our cleaned birds to them which most of the time they refuse but its the thought that counts. they dont seem to care for MN travelers much. also we are starting to see more guides leasing land from the farmers which also limits the land we can hunt. thats why i cant stress enough how important it is to respect the land owners.
waterfowl1
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting